Local company starts conversations

Stock Exchange

♥ The Daily Collegian’s Guide
to Valentine’s Day 2011 ♥

New England Confectionery Company’s (NECCO) Sweetheart Conversation Hearts are America’s best selling non-chocolate Valentine candy, as company based in Revere, Mass. sells eight million hearts each year. Sayings such as “BE MINE,” “SOUL MATE,” “TRUE LOVE,” and many more are printed on these heart-shaped candies in vegetable coloring.

NECCO works year round producing this popular holiday treat, making 100,000 pounds each day for over 10 months. The company sells out its entire stock in just six weeks of mid-winter sales for Valentine’s Day. With its increasing popularity, NECCO decided to revise the classic Conversation Hearts. In 2010, the company released hearts with brighter colors and new flavors, consisting of strawberry, green apple, lemon, grape, orange and blue raspberry. The new candies are softer and chewier compared to the older model, which were harder with a crunch.

NECCO Director of Marketing Aimee Scott says “the flavors were changed to re-enterprise, to make it relevant for the next generation of consumers.”

With myriads of candy flavors available today, Scott says of the hearts, “they were muted before, and we needed to make them stronger.”

Along with the new look, the hearts also incorporate new sayings each year. What’s so special about theses new phrases is that they’re selected by the public. Ten of the sayings last year and fourteen sayings this year were picked by consumers. The hearts are available all over the country in most food stores and are sold in small boxes.

Although new sayings were added, that doesn’t mean NECCO retired the classic expressions. Thirty percent of the hearts still contain the older sayings.

The most requested of all the sayings is the “MARRY ME” heart. Since the company doesn’t ordinarily sell individual hearts, Scott says certain exceptions are made depending on how compelling the story is. Since the Conversation Hearts are popular for romantic gestures, Scott says, “We occasionally help some of those people who are trying to propose.”

NECCO was founded by Oliver Chase in 1847. His brother, Daniel Chase, was responsible for the initial idea to print words on the outside of candies. He got the inspiration from the company’s candy cockles that had mottos printed on thin pieces of paper and rolled up inside the shells. Daniel came up with a plan to remove the paper from the inside and imprint the sayings on the outside of the candies. Eventually from this idea, Sweethearts were born.

The Conversation Hearts come in two sizes; small and large. NECCO reserves up to 80 spots on each print plate for expressions, which this year consist of classics, the top ten from 2010, and new sayings for 2011. Classics include “FOR EVER,” “BE MINE,” and “KISS ME.” Some of the top ten sayings from last year are a bit technology-based, including “TWEET ME” and “TEXT ME.” The theme of the widely anticipated 2011 expressions seems to be upbeat and encouraging. Several of the new sayings are, “GAME ON,” “UR IT,” “MY TEAM” and “HIGH FIVE.” A couple of the less competitive expressions are, “BOOGIE” and “HOLD HANDS.”
Also produced by this sweet factory are several variations of the Sweethearts line; Sugar-Free, En Español, Chocolate, and Dazzled Tarts. Among the new products, Dazzled Tarts has been especially successful with the younger crowd.

“There’s that tween population that thinks they’re too cool for anything, and parents struggle for what to buy to say something sweet to their kids,” said Scott. The Dazzled Tart has sassier expressions such as “BFF,” “BABY DOLL,” and “JUST DANCE.” The flavors represent the playful candy too, consisting of tangerine, pink lemonade and watermelon.

“The product actually dazzles when you hold it up to the light,” raves Scott. Also imprinted on the sparkling hearts are outlines of purses, high heels, and other icons.

Scott says the En Español hearts have been largely supported by Target, while the Sugar-Free hearts appeal to an older demographic. The Chocolate hearts speak for themselves around Valentine’s Day with the large population of chocoholics who come out of their respective candy-closets.

Sweethearts Conversation Hearts have reeled in enough publicity to grace Twitter’s homepage. Each year, game show “JEOPARDY!” features a Sweethearts trivia question to celebrate Valentine’s Day. This timeless candy is guaranteed to satisfy generations to come.

Kate Evans can be reached at [email protected].