Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Minutewomen return 10 starters for 2011

The Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team enters into the 2011 season by returning 10 starters and 17 letterwinners from last year’s Atlantic 10 championship team.

The team graduated three seniors from last year’s squad, and has accented current talent by bringing in 10 freshmen to pad the roster.

From the goalie all the way up the field to the attackers, the Minutewomen are filled with both star players and freshman talent. First year head coach Angela McMahon noted that UMass is building on a rich tradition and they could have the pieces in place to 3-peat in the A-10 conference.

“I think the nice thing about our team right now is that we have both leaders and young players in every spot,” McMahon said. “On our attacking end we have some veteran leaders that have had a lot of success, and now we have some freshmen that are going into that attack position. I think it has been great to really bring in the freshman to give them the confidence to be out there.”

McMahon stressed that it is important for the team to show leadership and chemistry.

“It is nice because we only have three seniors, but each of those seniors plays a different position so we have that leadership all over the field,” McMahon said. 

The team is not built on one aspect of the game, and with each player understanding their role, it will be easier for the underclassmen to gain the needed experience to grow and evolve through the season.

“I expect our team to be really balanced not only between the defensive-end through the attack, but I really think we are going to see contributors from every single grade – seniors to freshman,” McMahon said.

Attack

Jackie Lyons, a senior attacker from Rocky Point, N.Y, will highlight the attack once again this season.

As a junior, Lyons was named the A-10 Offensive Player of the Year and the A-10 Tournament Most Valuable Player for the second-straight season. During the 2010 season, Lyons led the team in goals (49), assists (20) and points (69) and this year she will try to lead the team statistically as well as vocally.

“Jackie Lyons has been great on the attacking end, and has done a great job communicating with some of the freshman and really bringing them in,” McMahon said.

Lyons has openly accepted her role as an established leader on the team, and she understands  that nothing the team did in the past has any bearing on what the team will do this upcoming season.

“I just want to be an A-10 champ at the end of this season,” Lyons said. “I am not worried about any accolades. For now I am just worried about Holy Cross and taking this season one game at a time.”

Along with Lyons, top attackers from last year like Lauren Terracciano, Danielle Pelletier and Jesse O’Donnell return for the Minutewomen.

You must be logged in to post a comment.