Luke Pavone jumpstarts UMass men’s soccer’s comeback effort in win over Fairfield -

Saturday, September 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer earns first win of the season in emotional home opener -

Friday, September 19, 2014

Ed Davis report leaves nobody blameless -

Friday, September 19, 2014

White House starts public awareness drive to prevent sexual attacks on campus -

Friday, September 19, 2014

Work already underway for SGA speaker Sïonan Barrett -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass in for a challenge against Penn State, QB Hackenberg -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Nostalgia and angst abound in ‘Palo Alto’ -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Want student power? End the SGA -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass football kicking situation still undecided, looking forward to opportunity to play at Beaver Stadium -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lorenzo Woodley finds opportunity after getting lost in the shuffle -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Millennials’ votes can make a difference in all elections -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass faculty member Bonnie Strickland recognized for work in psychology -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass women’s soccer suffers major set back with injury to co-captain Jackie Bruno -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass men’s soccer returns home looking for season’s first win -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass professor Elizabeth Chilton to speak in Madrid and Paris about importance of heritage studies -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass club rugby hopes to continue momentum despite opening loss -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Bizarre foods eaten worldwide -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

US should spend more on space -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Walking through a week of practice with UMass field hockey -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass receives $37.5 million for environmental and sustainability initiatives -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Minutewomen return 10 starters for 2011

The Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team enters into the 2011 season by returning 10 starters and 17 letterwinners from last year’s Atlantic 10 championship team.

The team graduated three seniors from last year’s squad, and has accented current talent by bringing in 10 freshmen to pad the roster.

From the goalie all the way up the field to the attackers, the Minutewomen are filled with both star players and freshman talent. First year head coach Angela McMahon noted that UMass is building on a rich tradition and they could have the pieces in place to 3-peat in the A-10 conference.

“I think the nice thing about our team right now is that we have both leaders and young players in every spot,” McMahon said. “On our attacking end we have some veteran leaders that have had a lot of success, and now we have some freshmen that are going into that attack position. I think it has been great to really bring in the freshman to give them the confidence to be out there.”

McMahon stressed that it is important for the team to show leadership and chemistry.

“It is nice because we only have three seniors, but each of those seniors plays a different position so we have that leadership all over the field,” McMahon said. 

The team is not built on one aspect of the game, and with each player understanding their role, it will be easier for the underclassmen to gain the needed experience to grow and evolve through the season.

“I expect our team to be really balanced not only between the defensive-end through the attack, but I really think we are going to see contributors from every single grade – seniors to freshman,” McMahon said.

Attack

Jackie Lyons, a senior attacker from Rocky Point, N.Y, will highlight the attack once again this season.

As a junior, Lyons was named the A-10 Offensive Player of the Year and the A-10 Tournament Most Valuable Player for the second-straight season. During the 2010 season, Lyons led the team in goals (49), assists (20) and points (69) and this year she will try to lead the team statistically as well as vocally.

“Jackie Lyons has been great on the attacking end, and has done a great job communicating with some of the freshman and really bringing them in,” McMahon said.

Lyons has openly accepted her role as an established leader on the team, and she understands  that nothing the team did in the past has any bearing on what the team will do this upcoming season.

“I just want to be an A-10 champ at the end of this season,” Lyons said. “I am not worried about any accolades. For now I am just worried about Holy Cross and taking this season one game at a time.”

Along with Lyons, top attackers from last year like Lauren Terracciano, Danielle Pelletier and Jesse O’Donnell return for the Minutewomen.