Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Minutewomen excel despite injuries, Minutemen gain experience -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

SGA election reforms address some, but not all concerns -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Emily O’Neil hopes to increase diversity and improve Title IX training as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The next journalist under fire -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Letter: A call for action and cooperation -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Student trustee candidate Kabir Thatte looks to create his own path as a UMass legacy student within SGA -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Police Log: Friday, Feb. 27 to Sunday, March 1, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kelly, Gay to focus on transparency, accessibility and sexual assault training -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Easy breathing tricks to de-stress during midterms -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Lack of transparency from Elections Commission endangers spring ballot -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Walkowiak changes position, mentality stays the same

Mael Walkowiak is not a typical defensive midfielder for the Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team. 

The senior decided to replace his goalie stick for a short stick last spring, giving up his lifelong position as goalkeeper for good. Walkowiak, who transferred from Queens University in Charlotte, N.C. in 2009, made his drastic personal change when he realized he was behind starter goalkeeper Tim McCormack and former Minuteman Steve Mahle on the depth chart.

“It was really hard. Especially at this level where you start playing, and everyone starts gunning for you,” said Walkowiak about the adversity he faced early in the process of learning his new position. 

The Salem, Mass. native felt his goalkeeping skills aided his transition. His high school lacrosse coach required him to use a short stick in drills and during his goalkeeping days, he would run out of the net to initiate fast breaks on offense. 

Walkowiak was forced to cradle one-handed far more frequently than he did during his days in net, which included using his left hand for the first time in the sport.  He also mentioned that something as simple as positioning on the field was a drastic difference. 

“The coordination’s completely different, from knowing where you are in the net and seeing where everyone is on the field to knowing where you are on the field in relation to where the net is,” he said.

Walkowiak saw limited playing time last year during the process of settling into his new position, with much of his play coming in the latter half of the season. This year he will be used primarily on the man-down team, in addition to providing leadership and a sense of energy on the field.

UMass coach Greg Cannella had nothing but praise for the senior.

“I think he’s earned everything that he’s gotten and it does say a lot about him as a person,” he said.

McCormack believes Walkowiak’s goalkeeping past gives him an edge over the other defensive midfielders. 

“He’s always on the same page as I am,” McCormack, a captain of the 2011 squad said. 

Walkowiak believes that knowing the mindset of a goalkeeper is a tremendous help, and he is also willing to risk his body to deflect a shot attempt at McCormack. That sense of fearlessness is his unique contribution to the defensive zone.

“I’m starting to fit my role much better,” he said. Walkowiak later went on to say that he expects to “kill penalties, clear the ball, play good defense and … try to set Tim [McCormack] up with the best possible outside shots.”

In the early going, the transition was rough for the newly appointed defender. Changing positions at such a late stage in his career initiated doubts about his decision and ability.

Opponents would frequently seize opportunities to attack Walkowiak, repeatedly putting his skills and progress to the test. However, the spike in repetitions helped him in the long run as he was able to critique his 1-on-1 defense.

Playing for UMass has been a dream-come-true for the 22-year-old.

“I’ve been coming to UMass lacrosse games since I started playing,” he said.

He was even in attendance at Garber Field for the Minutemen’s overtime thriller over Syracuse, 14-13, in 2005 during his first year of playing lacrosse.

“That memory … of them going after one of the top teams in the country and … being relentless about it has always stuck with me,” he said. “I always imagined myself as a Minuteman when I got older.”

That dream had to be put off until 2009, as the first wave of recruiting did not yield an offer from the team. Walkowiak played one year at the Division II level before capitalizing on an opportunity to play for UMass.

“Even with the position change, it’s been the best decision I’ve ever made in my entire life.”

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu