Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Walkowiak changes position, mentality stays the same

Mael Walkowiak is not a typical defensive midfielder for the Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team. 

The senior decided to replace his goalie stick for a short stick last spring, giving up his lifelong position as goalkeeper for good. Walkowiak, who transferred from Queens University in Charlotte, N.C. in 2009, made his drastic personal change when he realized he was behind starter goalkeeper Tim McCormack and former Minuteman Steve Mahle on the depth chart.

“It was really hard. Especially at this level where you start playing, and everyone starts gunning for you,” said Walkowiak about the adversity he faced early in the process of learning his new position. 

The Salem, Mass. native felt his goalkeeping skills aided his transition. His high school lacrosse coach required him to use a short stick in drills and during his goalkeeping days, he would run out of the net to initiate fast breaks on offense. 

Walkowiak was forced to cradle one-handed far more frequently than he did during his days in net, which included using his left hand for the first time in the sport.  He also mentioned that something as simple as positioning on the field was a drastic difference. 

“The coordination’s completely different, from knowing where you are in the net and seeing where everyone is on the field to knowing where you are on the field in relation to where the net is,” he said.

Walkowiak saw limited playing time last year during the process of settling into his new position, with much of his play coming in the latter half of the season. This year he will be used primarily on the man-down team, in addition to providing leadership and a sense of energy on the field.

UMass coach Greg Cannella had nothing but praise for the senior.

“I think he’s earned everything that he’s gotten and it does say a lot about him as a person,” he said.

McCormack believes Walkowiak’s goalkeeping past gives him an edge over the other defensive midfielders. 

“He’s always on the same page as I am,” McCormack, a captain of the 2011 squad said. 

Walkowiak believes that knowing the mindset of a goalkeeper is a tremendous help, and he is also willing to risk his body to deflect a shot attempt at McCormack. That sense of fearlessness is his unique contribution to the defensive zone.

“I’m starting to fit my role much better,” he said. Walkowiak later went on to say that he expects to “kill penalties, clear the ball, play good defense and … try to set Tim [McCormack] up with the best possible outside shots.”

In the early going, the transition was rough for the newly appointed defender. Changing positions at such a late stage in his career initiated doubts about his decision and ability.

Opponents would frequently seize opportunities to attack Walkowiak, repeatedly putting his skills and progress to the test. However, the spike in repetitions helped him in the long run as he was able to critique his 1-on-1 defense.

Playing for UMass has been a dream-come-true for the 22-year-old.

“I’ve been coming to UMass lacrosse games since I started playing,” he said.

He was even in attendance at Garber Field for the Minutemen’s overtime thriller over Syracuse, 14-13, in 2005 during his first year of playing lacrosse.

“That memory … of them going after one of the top teams in the country and … being relentless about it has always stuck with me,” he said. “I always imagined myself as a Minuteman when I got older.”

That dream had to be put off until 2009, as the first wave of recruiting did not yield an offer from the team. Walkowiak played one year at the Division II level before capitalizing on an opportunity to play for UMass.

“Even with the position change, it’s been the best decision I’ve ever made in my entire life.”

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu