Amherst PD to encourage registering off-campus parties with implementation of Party Smart Registration program -

UMass Board of Trustees votes 11-2 to raise tuition and fees an average of 5.8 percent -

Mike Stone announces retirement following 2017 season -

‘Warcraft’ delivers a likeable mess -

Former UMass field hockey coach Carla Tagliente accepts job at Princeton -

50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

Facebook attempts to end marginal friendships

Facebook.com

It seems like your best friend, or that annoying stalker that “Likes” everything you post has been popping up on your Facebook News Feed more than usual lately, doesn’t it? Well, it’s not because they’ve been posting more, or that good looking girl from a Gen. Ed. you took two years ago stopped posting. There have been changes to the News Feed. The crew at Facebook has once again made a pretty big change to the way their website works; cue the freak-outs and explosion of “DOWN WITH ZUCKERBERG” groups. Actually, that’s exactly how I found out about the change, and why I thought we at the Collegian should fill you in.

The change regulates who pops up on your News Feed based on how much you interact with that person, i.e. if you comment on their page every time you let one rip, you’re going to see a lot of their inane posts as well. But the update prevents you from being notified when that random blonde’s latest drunk pictures are posted – since you couldn’t even talk to her after class, you definitely haven’t been interacting in any way on Facebook.

So what can you do to prevent this atrocity? At the bottom of your News Feed, there’s an “Edit Options” link on the right. A list will appear of the people you’ve blocked from your Feed, because you couldn’t give two ****s about their Farmville score. Above that will be an option called “Show Posts From:” and next to it will be a tab that says “Friends and pages you interact with most.” If you want to see everyone’s updates like you did in the pass, select “All your friends and pages.”

Now take a deep breathe, and go outside.

One Response to “Facebook attempts to end marginal friendships”
  1. Harold says:

this article makes no sense and is very stupid

it sounds like you spend too much time social networking and creeping around facebook