MTV shows glorifying teen pregnancy?

farrah mtv
Courtesy of MTV

Are MTV’s hit series “16 and Pregnant” and “Teen Mom” the new quick and easy way for teenage girls to feel the glimmer of fame?  For the series’ recent stars, it most certainly was.  What started out as a show about the struggles of being a teenage girl dealing with the stress of having a child while being so young, has quickly spiraled into a follow-up series of the now teen mothers and the continuance of the original series, “16 and Pregnant” with a new cast of young, pregnant teens.

These recent breakout stars have taken over magazine covers, news stories, even Facebook and Twitter pages; they’re our new celebrities.

Farrah Abraham who was on the original series of “16 and Pregnant”, as well as “Teen Mom,” struggled with her finances very publicly on the show, having to support herself and daughter as a single mom. But she just recently had a breast augmentation and quit her restaurant job to become a model.  Where did Farrah’s money problems go? They were replaced by the fat check she receives fromthe MTV series.

This show seems to glamorize teen pregnancy and becoming a teenage mother, two things which should be far from the minds of teenage girls. Girls aspire to be on this show, get their 15 minutes of fame and get paid just to live their lives.  These teen moms are no role models to our younger generations, and unfortunately the media keeps them at the top of the stack.  The premiere of “Teen Mom” in February of last year had 3.4 million viewers, most of which were assumingly teenage girls.  

These shows seem to be sending the wrong messages to viewers, seeing as girls are aspiring to be on the hit series and might therefore be actually trying to get pregnant at a young age.  All the efforts made by the media trying to discourage girls from teen pregnancy and unprotected sex seem to be contradicted by these two successful series.

In the end, the shows may still go on, but hopefully the outcome will no longer be a new young celebrity to look up to and admire and will instead teach viewers a valuable lesson.

Gemma Santamaria can be reached at [email protected].