UMass lacrosse proves triumphant in return to Garber Field -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse improves playoff chances with victory over Drexel -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

UMass notebook: Kitching shines, West Springfield’s Dan Jonah catches touchdown -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

A.J. Doyle looks forward to contributing in a tight end role -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Three up three down: Quarterback, defensive line play in focus for UMass -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Mark Whipple: UMass football’s spring game a successful night -

Friday, April 17, 2015

A fan’s guide to the UMass football spring game -

Friday, April 17, 2015

UMass softball splits doubleheader against Marist in walk-off win -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: April 16, 2015 -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse returns to Garber Field for crucial matchup with Drexel -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

New partnership to unite university students and town of Amherst -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass baseball wins fifth straight -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Why “Last Week Tonight” is the new champion of sanity in fake news -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Letter: Appalled at local police’s poor training on domestic violence -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Knitting, Crocheting and Needlework Club sparks motivation for crafty students -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Divest UMass makes strides at Board of Trustees meeting -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Do we need the Apple Watch? -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Jules Crittenden speaks on war correspondence to ROTC cadets -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass pitching staff lifts team -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass tennis begins its bid for the Atlantic 10 title -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Minutemen remain unbeaten, take down visiting Buckeyes

In its second matchup against a ranked opponent this season, the Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team defeated Ohio State, 11-9, Saturday at Garber Field.

Despite suffering an early deficit, No. 11 UMass (3-0) buckled down on defense to limit the attack of the No. 13-ranked Buckeyes (3-1).

“I think both teams were pretty sloppy today, [there were] a lot of turnovers,” UMass coach Greg Cannella said after the win. “I know [I saw] way too [many] for my taste on our side.”

The Minutemen had 16 turnovers, compared to 18 by Ohio State. In the first quarter, especially, Cannella felt his team was pressing on offense and rushing possessions, which put the team in an early hole. While the attack responded in the second half, the defense was tested heavily.

“I thought today we put a lot of pressure on our defense,” Cannella said. “We turned the ball over too many times. We had to rely on our defense to be so solid, and you can’t do that to those guys all the time.”

Overall, UMass received goals from seven different players, including four who notched multiple scores.

Freshman Connor Mooney scored two goals for the first scores of his collegiate career. Following two goals by the Buckeyes midway through the fourth period, Mooney responded with his two scores in a span of less than a minute to give the Minutemen an 11-7 lead.

“He hadn’t been able to do that the previous two games, but he did a nice job inside and, fortunately for us, he finished them off,” Cannella said of Mooney’s performance.

After playing well in the first two contests of the season, Mooney felt more comfortable in the offense and was able to finally capitalize on his scoring chances.

“[I] definitely had some nerves the first game, but in the second game out here at Garber, I calmed down a little bit and got to play my game,” Mooney said.

Another player who scored twice was sophomore Colin Fleming. With the game in the balance, tied at five apiece midway through the third period, Fleming put in two-straight goals before junior Mike Fetterly added another to give UMass an 8-5 lead heading into the final frame.

The three-goal run swung the momentum in favor of the Minutemen and gave Fleming and his team confidence.

“Especially with that momentum, when you get one goal, [the] next time you get the ball you want to get another one,” Fleming said. “When you string two in a row, it’s huge momentum for you and for the team as a whole.”

Along with Mooney and Fleming, juniors Anthony Biscardi and Art Kell provided two-goal efforts for UMass. The balance on offense was encouraging for Cannella, who doesn’t want any one attacker to be relied upon as heavily as the defense was in the victory.

“It doesn’t matter who scores. I think if you ask these guys, they’ll tell you the same thing,” Cannella said. “You hope that can be consistent.”

Ohio State came out of the gates strong, posting a 2-0 lead less than six minutes into the contest. UMass, however, fought back, as both teams traded punches before Fleming broke the game open in the third quarter.

Jarred Bowman led the way for the Buckeyes, recording three goals and notching an assist.

Junior goalie Tim McCormack earned his third win of the year in the cage, making six saves.

The Minutemen will look to remain undefeated when they host Brown Saturday at Garber Field in a 1 p.m. start.

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.