Police dish out party fines to students

The Amherst Police Department handed out some $4,800 in fines to local young people last weekend for violations of the town’s noise, nuisance and alcohol bylaws, the Daily Hampshire Gazette reported Monday. Police broke up a number of major house parties at residences across the college town, including one party Saturday morning where five 20-year-old female University of Massachusetts students were arrested at 19 Farview Way and another Friday evening at 51 Pine Grove where four young people were issued $300 noise tickets.

Amherst police said they broke up the party at 19 Farview around 12:30 a.m. after receiving a second noise complaint in under an hour from a neighbor with two children who were apparently awoken by the noise coming from the house. In addition, the Gazette reported that police said they observed several taxis full of young people arriving at the house. Five female UMass students were arrested and charged with violations of Amherst’s noise bylaw. They are Shannon Maura Keaveny (UMass), of Canton, Allyson Marie McGill, of West Falmouth, Kylee D. Reardon, of Norwood, Victoria Holly Rogers, of Medfield and Jaclyn Lee Tenanes, of Westborough.

Another home where police made several visits also resulted in multiple violations.

Twenty-one-year-old UMass student Ted Bates Miller, a Phoenixville, Pa. resident, was arrested just after 10:30 p.m. Friday evening on APD’s first visit to the resident at Pine Grove. Police were called back to the home around 2:30 a.m. Saturday morning after further reports of loudness. On their second visit, they issued three summonses to Eastern Hampshire District Court for noise violations.

Several other students were also arrested on noise bylaw violations. Michael Magnell, a 21-year-old from Weymouth, Mass., was arrested for a noise violation just after midnight Saturday on East Pleasant Street. Joshua Monica, a 19-year-old from Milford, Mass., who lists himself on his Facebook page as a student at the University of Maine was arrested at a party at 594 East Pleasant St. on charges of possession of a Class C substance, being a minor in possession of alcohol and resisting arrest. At that party, which Amherst Police claim had over 125 people in attendance, a 21-year-old Dedham, Mass. man was issued a summons to court for a violation of the town’s nuisance house bylaw. The names of those issued summonses to court are not released until their appearances.

In addition to the noise and party infractions, police dealt with a spate of fights outside downtown bars late Saturday and into Sunday morning. At 1:19 a.m. Sunday, UMass students Antonio Paul Monteiro, 20, of West Wareham, Mass., Shea William O’Neil, a 23-year-old Westfield native, and Jared Joseph Vasconcelos, 20, of Wareham, were all arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Monteiro was also charged with failing to disperse from a riot. Police said a crowd gathered downtown, someone threw a bottle into the group, and that police ultimately quieted the scene by using batons on one of the fighters to break up the scrum. One non-UMass student, Jeffrey Adam Dunlop, a 22-year-old from Westfield, was also arrested after the brawl.

Shortly thereafter, police broke up a fight involving two brothers, one an Amherst resident and the other a native of Springfield. At 1:36, brothers Joseph Ramond Lozada, 22 of 246 North Pleasant Street, Unit 3, and 25-year-old Emmanuel Lozada of Springfield were arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest after allegedly attacking an unidentified male who fled the scene and was never apprehended.

-Collegian News Staff