UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Trio of freshmen leading UMass hockey’s offense early in the season -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A guide to comic collecting in the Pioneer Valley -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Letter: What’s behind the curtains on Birthright trips? -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

FBI director’s fear-mongering view of data encryption is off the mark -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass Permaculture Initiative to add three new programs -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Gov. Deval Patrick visits Amherst, awards $1.5 million grant for downtown development -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UHS offers more accessible vaccination clinics as flu season nears -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Gamard: Is gluten really bad or just a fad? -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Three new students appointed as SGA special assistants -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Allymohamed scores game winner after suffering facial injury against Boston University -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Loaded weekend against Marist, Keene State challenges UMass club hockey -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

UMass football seeing improvement on both the offensive and defensive lines -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Remembering Derek Jeter: an appraisal -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Yellowcard switches things up on “Lift a Sail” -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Campus Sustainability Day to take place Wednesday -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Xavier clinches A-10 title

With the Atlantic 10 regular season title on the line, Xavier came up big to defeat Temple, 73-66, on Sunday.

Forward Amber Harris led the way for the No. 6 -ranked Musketeers (25-2, 14-0 A-10) with 26 points and 12 boards, while fellow forward Ta’Shia Phillips added 18 points and 15 rebounds of her own.

The game swung wildly back-and-forth, as both teams held double-digit leads at different points in the contest. However, Xavier took control late, leading in the second half. Temple hung tough but couldn’t make up the difference in the end.

Lockdown defense on the part of the Musketeers was the key. With 10 minutes, 48 seconds remaining in the second half, Xavier clung to a 52-51 lead. However, the Musketeers forced the Owls to miss their next eight-straight attempts and opened a 12-point lead they would hang on to the rest of the way.

With the win, Xavier clinched the No. 1 seed in the A-10 tournament, while Temple was locked into the No. 2 slot.

Dukes run roughshod over URI

Duquesne defeated Rhode Island, 88-49, in dominating fashion on Saturday afternoon. With the victory, the Dukes (22-7, 9-5 A-10) clinched their all-time best regular season record.

A 16-3 run early in the first half staked Duquesne to a lead they’d never relinquish. Two 3-pointers from Megan Shoniker managed to bring URI (7-21, 1-113 A-10) within six with eight minutes to go in the first half, but the team could not sustain the effort. At its peak, the margin between the teams swelled to 43 points, the largest of the season for the Dukes. Duquesne also racked up a season-high in blocks with 11 and a season-low with 10 turnovers.

Five players scored in double-figures for the Dukes on the day. Wumi Agunbiade was the high scorer with 16 points on 8-for-12 shooting off the bench. She cleaned the glass to the tune of eight rebounds to co-lead the team as well.

Shells sets mark for Spiders

It was a record-breaking night at the Robins Center on Saturday, as senior guard Brittani Shells became only the second player in Richmond history to amass over 2,000 points in her collegiate career.

In the Spiders’ 68-57 victory over Saint Louis, Karen Elnser, the all-time record holder with 2,367 points scored, was in attendance.

Shells scored 17 points in total on the night and also had two steals to pass Jackie Israel for the program’s all-time record in that category as well.

Genevieve Okoro was also a major contributor for Richmond, scoring 16 points, including 12-for-13 shooting from the free throw line and grabbing 10 rebounds as well. Guard Abby Oliver also played well with a team-leading 18 points on 5-for-8 shooting and eight rebounds.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.