Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

No. 18 UMass finishes road trip against UNH

The No. 18 Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team will complete its three-game road trip on Wednesday when it takes on New England rival New Hampshire.

The Minutewomen are coming off a 16-7 win against Siena, a win that improved their record to 4-0.

UMass coach Angela McMahon was humble when discussing her team’s emergence onto the national stage.

“If we’re still ranked in a few weeks, then for us that will hold some weight, but right now it’s a nice thing for to us have, but I don’t think it means too much right now,” McMahon said.

Instead of celebrating the national recognition, McMahon has her team preparing for the future.

“We’re just focused on our defense and our game plan against UNH and what we need to do to be successful against them,” McMahon said.

UMass has the advantage over UNH in draw controls as it averages 14.5 draw controls per game, while the Wildcats average four.

However, if the Wildcats control and posses the ball, their slow-paced offense could give the Minutewomen trouble.

McMahon recognized that draw controls could be the key to a victory, but she also pointed out that they would not determine the game.

“It’s a very important statistic, but it’s not the only defining statistic,” McMahon said. “We’ve have games where we haven’t won the draw control battle and still won [the game].”

Senior attacker Jackie Lyons (nine goals, team-high assists) continues to lead the Minutemen  this season. However, senior midfielder Haley Smith is helping Lyons with the offense, as she leads the Minutewomen in goals with 10 coming off the bench.

Junior attackers Jesse O’Donnell (six goals, two assists), Danielle Pelletier (seven goals) and freshmen attackers Katie Ferris (six goals) and Sam Rush (five goals), also make significant contributions on offense.

The Maroon and White unloaded 53 shots and connected on 16 of them during UMass’ victory over the Saints.

McMahon was glad to see the offense pick up after her team averaged 24 shots in the first three games of the season.

“I wanted us to shoot more, because we had been really capitalizing on our shots and I just wanted us to do it more often and we did that,” McMahon said.

She also thought the shooting barrage served as a good lesson for her team.

“I think we learned our lesson in terms of what we need to work on with shooting and just taking our time on our shots,” McMahon said.

While the offense has gotten much of the attention this season, junior goalkeeper Katie Florence has quietly put together another solid season in the cage.

“Katie’s been our rock on defense,” McMahon said. “She’s the glue of this team [and] she connects everybody, including the freshman and underclassmen.”

Florence has collected all four wins for the Minutewomen in goal and has posted a career-low 9.39 goal against average.

Like the Minutewomen, the Wildcats opened up the season with a win at Holy Cross. Last Saturday, they played Dartmouth on the road and lost, 9-5.

UNH is prepared to build on its 10-7 record in 2010 as it returns four of its top five scorers from last season.

According to McMahon, the recent national attention can only continue if the team maintains its form.

“In order for us to prove that we’re one of the best teams in the area, we have to beat the best teams,” McMahon said.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at jtalexan@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.