Minutewomen prepare for A-10 postseason

Maria Uminski/Collegian

The Atlantic 10 conference playoffs get underway this weekend as Massachusetts women’s basketball team looks to be a true underdog story in the postseason.

Twelve of the 14 teams in the A-10 conference are awarded playoff berths and UMass earned the No. 12 seed with a 7-22 overall record and 3-11 record in A-10 play.

The Minutewomen face the challenge of No. 5seed Charlotte on Friday afternoon, who posted a mark of 21-8 overall and 9-5 in conference action. The 49ers finished the season in a five-way tie for third place in the A-10 standings and were awarded the fifth seed by virtue of the league’s tie-breaking procedure.

The two teams met on Feb. 5, which showed a 27-point loss by UMass, something it will look to avoid this weekend.

The Minutewomen shot  0-for-9 in the opening minutes and never recovered. Charlotte built an early 12-2 lead in the game as Kendra Holmes hit a 3-pointer from the top of the key with just under 14 minutes remaining in the first half. The 49ers extended their lead to 22 at one point in the half, going into the intermission with UMass down by 20 points.

In the second half, the Minutewomen did improve their shooting didn’t cut the deficit below 20 points. The 49ers finished the game shooting 56.4 percent from the field and 55.6 percent from the perimeter. UMass shot just under 30 percent from the field and from 3-point range. UMass was outrebounded as well, 37-28, and was manhandled in the paint, getting outscored, 36-18, and 8-0 on fast-break points.

Charlotte guard Shannon McCallum scored a team-high 18 points, while Jennifer Hailey contributed with a double-double of 12 points and 11 boards. Holmes had a double-double as well with 11 points and 10 helpers, while Epiphany Woodson pitched in with 11 points herself.

UMass saw strong performances from senior guard Cerie Mosgrove (18 points), center Jasmine Watson (12 points) and forward Stephanie Lawrence (seven points).

Despite their conference record, the Minutewomen have played decent in A-10 play. Before losing to Charlotte in the regular season, the Minutewomen went into overtime with a talented Duquesne team, but dropped the contest, 84-79.

On Feb. 9, the Minutewomen dropped a close one to Dayton on the road, 66-58, and lost their final regular season game by four points to La Salle. Both the Dukes and the Flyers finished the season tied for third in the A-10 standings, while La Salle finished ninth.

Quality conference wins for the Minutewomen came against Rhode Island and Saint Louis (neither made the playoffs). UMass defeated URI twice this season, first at the Ryan Center, 75-64, and most recently on Feb. 19 at the Mullins Center, 75-71.

Regular season statistical leaders for the Minutewomen were Watson, Mosgrove, forward Shakia Robinson and guard Megan Zullo, all whom averaged double-figures in scoring.

Mosgrove’s perimeter shooting proved to be a difference-maker, as she finished the season with a team high 77 3-pointers and a .502 3-point shooting percentage.

Action gets underway at 2:30 p.m. in the Tsongas Center in Lowell, Mass. The Minutewomen are 0-2 at neutral sites this season. If UMass advances to the next round, it would play on Sunday, March 6.

Michael Counos can be reached at [email protected].