Turbulent season ends for Minutewomen

Though it shot 49 percent overall behind  sophomore Jasmine Watson’s game-leading 25-point performance, the Massachusetts women’s basketball team could not overcome a first half deficit, as Charlotte ended UMass’ Atlantic 10 postseason with a 77-66 loss on Friday evening.

The Minutewomen (7-23, 3-11 A-10), who came within seven points of the lead just minutes into the second half, could not take control of the game away from the 49ers (23-9, 9-5 A-10).

Watson had an impressive performance in which she logged a team-best eight rebounds, three assists, two blocks and two steals, in addition to her 25 points. Watson also went 9-for-14 from the charity stripe.

Seniors Cerie Mosgrove and Megan Zullo also broke the double-digit mark with 11 and 10 points, respectively. Sophomore Shakia Robinson also contributed with eight points.

Four 49ers put double-digit figures on the scoreboard. Jennifer Hailey led the team with 18 points and nine rebounds, just slightly ahead of Shannon McCallum’s 14 points and eight assists. Epiphany Woodson ended the day with 13 points, while Kendria Holmes scored 10 points.

UMass opened up the scoring just 24 seconds into the match, but it would prove to be the team’s lone advantage of the afternoon. The 49ers then went on a 16-2 run with 14 minutes remaining in the first half, and would close out the half with a 36-26 advantage over the Maroon and White.

The second half seemed to pick up right where the first left off, with the 49ers scoring the first basket to reestablish a 12-point lead. UMass would then, however, score five straight points to come within just seven points of the 49ers’ lead. The run would end prematurely, though, with the 49ers going on their own 8-0 run, keeping the deficit in double digits the rest of the way.

In a postgame interview with UMassAthletics.com, UMass coach Sharon Dawley was still pleased with the way the team played against a tough conference opponent.

“There are always things you want to go back and do differently, but I was real[ly] impressed with our effort,” said Dawley.  “I think we did a much better [job] the second time we played them than the first, even though it is on the road. I just liked our grit. When they would get a lead, we would just run back and get back at them. That is a real credit to our character.”

At the final buzzer, the Minutewomen shot 24-for-49 overall (49 percent) on the night, while going 5-for-18 (27.8 percent) from beyond the arc and 13-for-18 (72.2 percent) from the free-throw line. In comparison, the 49ers shot 29-for-65 overall (44.6 percent), 5-for-15 from 3-point range and 14-for-20 (70 percent) at the charity stripe.

When asked whether or not she felt that the 49ers could win the A-10 tournament, Dawley responded that anything was possible, especially in tournament play, noting she would not be surprised if Charlotte upset tournament-favorite Xavier.

Charlotte went on to win its game against Richmond, 68-63, on Saturday afternoon, but was unable to stay hot against Xavier in the A-10 semifinals, who won the contest Sunday afternoon by a score of 69-53.

In summing up what has surely been a difficult learning season for the Minutewomen, Dawley was nothing less that proud of the work ethic shown by her team.

“This season did not go as planned, we would have liked to have had a better season,” she said. “But these girls just kept fighting, and [that] just says a lot about their character.”

David Martin can be reached at [email protected].