Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

SGA candidate arrested Sunday night

Facebook

Facebook

(Updated 3-9-11 – 9:26 p.m.): Further attempts to contact student trustee candidate Widlynn Louis resulted in reaching the candidate, who did not give an official comment at the time.)

According to an article Tuesday in the Daily Hampshire Gazette, Widlynn Louis, a University of Massachusetts candidate for Student Government Association Student Trustee was arrested on Sunday for what is her second arrest this semester.

Louis, 20, was arrested on charges of violating the town noise bylaw at 23 Shumway St. over the weekend.

According to the Amherst Police Department’s Arrest Status Report for the month of February, Louis was charged with aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

The Daily Hampshire Gazette’s police log for Amherst reports that Louis allegedly struck her roommate with a doorknob after an argument over the replacement of said doorknob.

SGA Chancellor of Elections Zachary Dawson could not provide a comment on Louis’ activity or her judicial history.

“If found guilty in breaking the student code of conduct, the Elections Committee can give a student a warning, invalidate an election or nullify it,” he said.

According to an e-mail from Dean of Students and Associate Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Jo-Anne Vanin to Dawson, Vanin said, “I cannot provide you with a student’s discipline history. If you require that information, the student must provide that to you.”

According to an SGA law, “Violation of Title VIII, Section 1, The Elections Commission may, upon a two-thirds vote of its member attendance at a scheduled meeting, and up to thirty calendar days following an election, take any one of the actions prescribed herein for violations of Title VIII of the By-laws of the SGA: 1.Warning, 2.Suspension, 3.Invalidation, 4.Nullification.”

Collegian News Staff

14 Responses to “SGA candidate arrested Sunday night”
  1. Emily says:

I’m curious as to why this story went into publication today, in the midst of the elections, when the incident occured this past Sunday?

2. Even Smalls says:

STOP GETTING ARRESTED!

3. Even Smalls says:

Because it was published in the Gazette on Monday/Tuesday. They couldn’t have published it on Monday!

Why are you justifying this girls assault and battery!? Have you read her facebook wall, she has no response!

4. Even Bigger says:

So the Collegian is great at re-printing day old materials in hopes of destroying someone’s candidacy.
    If you were a UMass student, you would know that the noise violation law was made specifically to oppress UMass students, and I personally prefer the student that has been through the same BS that many off campus students face every day.
    Also, situation is taken out of this article, so for anyone to sit there and call her guilty before hearing her side of it is bias.

Learn some facts about the situation from a reliable source (cause the collegian is not a reliable source) before you pass judgement

5. Anthony says:

Why am I not surprised that the collegian would publish this story and make this front page news? Last time I checked, there are two sides to every story. Why is it that when it comes to young minorities, the presumption of innocence until proven guilty goes out the window?? This article is unprofessional in every way and comes off as another attempt to bring down another highly capable minority student, and a sabotage attempt against a successful campaign. Democratic journalism is supposed to display the facts, allow for rebuttal, and allow the public to form their own opinion objectively. This article skews the public opinion so far to the negative side of the spectrum that it should be almost criminal that the editor of this so called “newspaper” allowed it to be published. So much for journalistic integrity. Where was the mention of comment from Widlynn? And if she declined to comment, then where is the “denied request for comment” mention? Widlynn Louis is a phenomenal candidate, who is intelligent, loving, and is an excellent representation of the UMass student community. Faculty, Staff, and Students alike need to remember that focus and emphasis needs to be placed on ones intelligence and accomplishments, and allegiance for the students they represent, and not one’s personal life. Especially when one’s personal life is manipulated through the DailyCollegian.

6. Anon says:

I was planning on voting for Yevin and Widlynn until their campaigners emailed me to death and I heard about what happened to Widlynn. I don’t know if these are the kinds of people I want running my SGA.

7. Sumner says:

Apparently it’s racist to report on a public figure who was arrested twice.

8. Jose Marti says:

this is real clsssy Collegain. You’re organization should be ashamed of themselves. You constantly post personal information about students that is completely unnecessary and demoralizing. This isn’t reporting, and neither were the other 100 cases where students have been unjustly slandered and permanently tarnished by your inaccurate and pathetic excuse for journalism. I hope you all find yourselves on the other side of the page one day.

9. Emahunn says:

‘Further attempts?’ There was never an initial attempt reported. We are not playing a game here – we are looking for honest reporting. Until I raised the issue to the newspaper, I am curious if this so-called ‘update’ would have even occurred. This is outrageous on a number of levels.

10. Sumner says:

She needs to grow up and accept it: she’s running for a public office at a public school, and is thus a public figure. She’s fair game, unfortunately, and her future constituents deserve the right to make character judgments on her criminal record.

11. Ed Cutting says:

I will say this and probably offend absolutely everyone, but I will say it — there was a time when the Collegian had its OWN reporter there for the Monday Morning APD briefings and when it would have had its own reporter there to ask questions of the APD and be reporting this story (if it had decided to do so) in its own name with its own staff.

I am just saying that it is regrettable that we no longer have a UM student there at the Monday morning briefings, to ask for the clarifications that only a student can. Yes, quoting other newspapers is factually accurate and an accepted practice, I just wish that we could still have a COLLEGIAN person there and go with that person’s observations and instincts, not that of someone “from away.”

12. Space Cadet says:

Anthony… this is NASA… come back to Earth… over

13. Mark says:

Yep, the Amherst noise bylaw was created just to suppress students. Who cares if the town has to go to bed at a decent hour to work in the morning? Students have massive partying to do!

And yep, you guys are so good. I bet the Collegian did this just to ruin her reputation. They wanted to sabotage her in any way possible. Getting arrested twice? That’s not reflective of her personality at all.

And if she wanted to make the situation better for herself, she should have answered a single comment.

14. CT says:

How can people honestly defend this criminal? The fact that anybody would try to sweep her actions under the rug as “not a big deal” speaks volumes about the lack of common decency in society today. Apparently, in the twisted world of these people, the problem isn’t those who are violent and public nuisances, the problem is those who see those behaviors as wrong. Can you people possibly be any more ass-backward?

You must be logged in to post a comment.