Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The G.O.A.T. of Rap: The Notorious B.I.G.

Some rappers wish to have a hit song, some rappers wish to be celebrities, some rappers wish to be the best, Biggie just wanted to rap and make music. While it is a sad day for some because March 9th marks the 14th anniversary of rapper The Notorious B.I.G.’s death and still there has never been any resolution to his murder, I choose to celebrate his career. B.I.G. changed music in many ways, and his presence is definitely missed in Hip-Hop.

Biggie might say that he isn’t a role model, and is just your average Joe, but he wasn’t. Others might say that he wasn’t a deep rapper because he didn’t talk about world issues.

Biggie was more than that. He was conflicted like all of us, and you see it through his lyrics. He was all about representing his borough, talking about his struggle, putting on the people that had been with him from his childhood, and most importantly making music.

When someone says something ignorant like “Biggie only talked about drugs and sex” I would always get annoyed because that meant that they only saw his lyrics on the surface, or only knew his popular singles that made him one of the most commercially successful rappers of all time. Biggie meant more than “drugs & sex”. His impact on the culture of Hip-Hop is everlasting, and his impact on all music is eternal.

Everyday Struggle

I’m seeing body after body and our mayor Giuliani
Ain’t trying to see no black man turn into John Gotti
My daughter use a potty so she’s older now
Educated street knowledge I’m gonna mold her now
Trick ‘er little dope buying young girls tringes
Dealing with the dope fiend binges
Seeing syringes in the veins
Hard to explain how I maintain

Rafael Canton can be reached at rcanton@student.umass.edu. To read more from Rafael, visit his website What You Know About That .