UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

The top 5 Boston movies

MCT

A Boston film is one that highlights the citizens, the atmosphere, and ways of life (not “Legally Blonde” or “The Social Network”). Honorable mentions include “Blown Away,” with Jeff Bridges and Tommy Lee Jones as Irish bomb makers, in which a police truck explodes in Kenmore Square, “Edge of Darkness” with Mel Gibson, shot in Boston and Northampton, and the original “Thomas Crown Affair” with gorgeous shots of Back Bay. “The Fighter” is not included in the list as this reviewer has yet to have the ability to fully analyze it. However, Christian Bale’s performance is absolutely riveting and spot on.

#5: “The Boondock Saints” (1999)

Troy Duffy’s gritty and comic throwback to vigilante films explodes with over the top action and great use of Boston locales. It’s just a fun and crazy film. Willem Dafoe as a gay and at one point, cross dressing, cop solidifies this film as memorable and entertaining.

#4: “Gone Baby Gone” (2007)/”The Town” ( 2010)

Both films successfully beat Dennis Lehane’s “Mystic River” for a spot at the list. Ben Affleck, who directed both of these films, fully utilizes the locations, beauty and danger of Boston. From shooting a robbery at Fenway Park to just shots of South Boston, he captures the enthralling nature of Boston. He’s also one the best directors on the list who doesn’t overplay the accents. Watch the nominated performances of Amy Ryan (“Gone Baby Gone”) and Jeremy Renner (“The Town”) as unapologetic, scene-stealing Bostonians.

#3: “Monument Ave.” (1998)

Denis Leary’s tour de force about a low level Charlestown car thief who must combat his boss, the murder of his cousin, the police, and the town’s code of silence. It’s a startling character piece that really encapsulates the heritage and struggles of the life in Charlestown. Fans of “Rescue Me” will enjoy the overlap in cast and references.

#2: “The Departed” (2006)

Crime thrillers don’t get as exciting as “The Departed,” and this is the film to bring attention to Boston and create the 30 percent tax incentive to film here. Rapid and witty dialogue (this is one of the more quotable films on the list) and explosive performances by Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, and Leonardo DiCaprio drive the movie.

#1: “The Friends of Eddie Coyle” (1973)

Hands down, the best film set in Boston (“Fever Pitch” might have a chance next time). Essentially a big influence on “The Departed” and “The Town” as it deals with a low level criminal played by the legendary Robert Mitchum, who must contend with facing 20 years in prison and ratting out his criminal friends (including Alex Rocco, a fringe member of the Winter Hill Gang) and getting caught. “The Friends of Eddie Coyle” is a low-key film, absolutely driven by incredible performances and dark noir touches. It is truly a classic.

Sam Dang can be reached at sdang@student.umass.edu.

4 Responses to “The top 5 Boston movies”
  1. Liam says:

Awesome choices, especially Eddie Coyle but Paul Blart: Mall Cop and Surrogates were robbed!
    I demand a recount.

2. Thor says:

What about Goodwill Hunting? Not even a mention?

3. Kim says:

I agree on The Town. I wasnʻt expecting much and ended up really enjoying it.

4. Liane says:

I haven’t seen all but I totally agree that Boondock Saints should be there. Love it, and Mystic River too. The others are going on my list!