UMass women’s lacrosse draws Jacksonville in first round of 2015 NCAA tournament -

Sunday, May 3, 2015

UMass baseball’s ninth inning rally falls short in series finale with Richmond -

Sunday, May 3, 2015

UMass softball eliminated from A-10 playoff contention as 2015 season ends -

Sunday, May 3, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse takes home seventh straight A-10 championship -

Sunday, May 3, 2015

UMass tight end Jean Sifrin goes undrafted in NFL draft, signs with Indianapolis Colts as undrafted free agent -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse topped by Towson in CAA title game -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

UMPD investigating burglary in Washington Hall -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Marty Meehan’s appointment as UMass president comes as little surprise -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to A-10 championship with 12-3 win over George Mason -

Friday, May 1, 2015

Not done yet: UMass men’s soccer’s Matt Keys and hockey’s Troy Power still pursuing pro dreams after graduation -

Friday, May 1, 2015

UMass Lowell Chancellor Marty Meehan elected president of UMass system -

Friday, May 1, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse upsets No. 1 seed Fairfield to advance to CAA championship -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Walk-off home run sinks UMass softball in pitching duel with UConn -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass rowing looks to defend A-10 title Saturday in New Jersey -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass search committee names two finalists for system president -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Senior Columns 2014-2015 -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Krauthammer critiques Obama doctrine -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass Baseball goes into weekend on a major skid -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

‘Mad Men’ remains the best of the best -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse set for rematch with Fairfield in CAA tournament -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Middle East Riots: Libya Chapter

riots mct

(MCT)

Following the examples of Tunisia and Egypt, Libya is yet another Middle Eastern country to make moves to oust their leader, Muammar Gaddafi.

The protests had begun on February 15th and have continued up until today, occurring after nearly 40 years under Gaddafi’s rule. Accurate numbers and information from the conflict are extremely hard to come by, given the censorship Gaddafi has been able to maintain.  

As of now, Gaddafi has lost control over most of the country, yet refuses to acknowledge the reality of the situation publicly, although even he can not ignore the facts. The leader called into a TV station and blamed the riots on hallucinogenic drugs mixed with Nescafe and milk. Gaddafi has ordered the military to act violently towards any rioters- shooting into crowds, causing hundreds of casualties. 

After weeks increasing pressure, other nations have declared support for rioters, condemning any attacks on the crowds. As each day goes by, the news reports shift between a city or town under rioters control or taken back from the government. This, combined with media censorship, has made it very difficult to grasp what the situation is really like.

As the riots continue, the effects can be felt stateside. Gas prices have been skyrocketing as the Middle East has continued to be in turmoil. Libya is crucial to oil production in the region, contributing to the sensitivity of the situation.

A number of performers, such as Nelly Furtado, Beyonce and Mariah Carey have come under fire for accepting money to personally perform for the Gaddafi family. Beyonce has publicly announced that she donated the $1 million dollars she received from the performance to humanitarian efforts in Haiti, clearing her name of any wrong doing. Mariah Carey has issued a public apology while Nelly Furtado hasn’t made any public statements.  

American media outlets are keeping a close eye on the situation. As with the other situations in the recent past, there’s not much to do but wait to see how the situation develops.

Brittany McLellan can be reached at bmclella@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Middle East Riots: Libya Chapter”
  1. AL LAWSON says:

after fourty years of garnering favor with the west,. bombing a jet over lockerbie, now warning all nations to stand back,and they listen and talk and talk etc. ,eanwhile people are dieing for some type of freedom.