Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Middle East Riots: Libya Chapter

riots mct

(MCT)

Following the examples of Tunisia and Egypt, Libya is yet another Middle Eastern country to make moves to oust their leader, Muammar Gaddafi.

The protests had begun on February 15th and have continued up until today, occurring after nearly 40 years under Gaddafi’s rule. Accurate numbers and information from the conflict are extremely hard to come by, given the censorship Gaddafi has been able to maintain.  

As of now, Gaddafi has lost control over most of the country, yet refuses to acknowledge the reality of the situation publicly, although even he can not ignore the facts. The leader called into a TV station and blamed the riots on hallucinogenic drugs mixed with Nescafe and milk. Gaddafi has ordered the military to act violently towards any rioters- shooting into crowds, causing hundreds of casualties. 

After weeks increasing pressure, other nations have declared support for rioters, condemning any attacks on the crowds. As each day goes by, the news reports shift between a city or town under rioters control or taken back from the government. This, combined with media censorship, has made it very difficult to grasp what the situation is really like.

As the riots continue, the effects can be felt stateside. Gas prices have been skyrocketing as the Middle East has continued to be in turmoil. Libya is crucial to oil production in the region, contributing to the sensitivity of the situation.

A number of performers, such as Nelly Furtado, Beyonce and Mariah Carey have come under fire for accepting money to personally perform for the Gaddafi family. Beyonce has publicly announced that she donated the $1 million dollars she received from the performance to humanitarian efforts in Haiti, clearing her name of any wrong doing. Mariah Carey has issued a public apology while Nelly Furtado hasn’t made any public statements.  

American media outlets are keeping a close eye on the situation. As with the other situations in the recent past, there’s not much to do but wait to see how the situation develops.

Brittany McLellan can be reached at bmclella@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Middle East Riots: Libya Chapter”
  1. AL LAWSON says:

after fourty years of garnering favor with the west,. bombing a jet over lockerbie, now warning all nations to stand back,and they listen and talk and talk etc. ,eanwhile people are dieing for some type of freedom.