Jason Cook places 5th in pair of NCAA diving events

UMass Athletics

Jason Cook, a star diver for the Massachusetts men’s swimming and diving team, finished in fifth-place in both the one and three-meter events this past weekend at the NCAA Zone A Diving Championships in Annapolis, Md.

The junior finished fifth out of 46 divers in the one-meter event with a final score of 612.75 and fifth of out 43 divers in the three-meter event with a final score of 665.05.

Virginia Tech teammates Ryan Hawkins and Logan Shinholser won the one and three-meter events, respectively. Hawkins posted a score 657.85 in the one-meter dive for the win, while Shinholser’s final score of 790.05 in the three-meter dive was enough for the victory.

The event marked Cook’s third straight trip to the NCAA Zone A Championships. He made UMass history in his freshman year when he became the first Minutemen diver to qualify and compete in the NCAA Diving Championships.

Cook, a native of Amherst, holds the Atlantic 10 record in both the one and three-meter dives. He has also helped lead UMass to three A-10 Championships during his time at the school.

He holds the school record in the one and three-meter dives with scores of 334.50 and 395.05, respectively.

Cook will look to build on his already illustrious career in his senior year at UMass next season.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at [email protected].