UMass student charged in connection with alleged involvement in racist vandalisms -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass student found dead in McNamara Hall -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Protect Our Breasts runs Breast Cancer Awareness campaign -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Underclassmen lead UMass hockey to first victory of the season -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Super Smash Bros. 3DS: A classic revitalized -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dear Chancellor: Improve the FAC -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass women’s soccer shut out by Rhode Island -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students at UMass rally to show support for Hong Kong -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Duolingo makes learning a language easier -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s swimming and diving falls to Army; women’s team gets revenge -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass field hockey gets back to .500 with win over BU Sunday -

Monday, October 20, 2014

‘Columbus Day’ demonstrates ignorant view of the past -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students for Justice in Palestine aims to spread awareness, not argue -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Mending fences: SGA and Amherst officials work together to improve town/gown relations -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer drops 5-0 decision to Saint Louis -

Monday, October 20, 2014

The Phablet continues to grow and maintain popularity -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dayton Flyers soar at Rudd Field, 4-1 over the Minutemen -

Sunday, October 19, 2014

UMass football’s Sharpe continues his banner season in 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Shadrach Abrokwah has career day in UMass football’s 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan. -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

UMass tops Eastern Michigan 36-14, puts together first FBS winning streak -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Minutewomen look to bounce back from loss

After losing its first game of the season, the Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team must now regroup and hit the road again to face Marist on Tuesday.

Over spring break, UMass ascended the national ranks, reaching No. 12 after a sixth-straight win against Stony Brook. While the rank is the highest for the team since 1988, a 10-8 loss to No. 15 Albany grounded the previously sky-high Minutewomen. Despite the defeat, UMass still remains one of six teams in the nation with just one loss this season.

UMass coach Angela McMahon hopes her team can use Saturday’s game to learn from its mistakes.

“While we don’t want to lose, we obviously have some things that we need to work out and I think we will hopefully come out on Tuesday strong and ready to go,” said McMahon.

Converting on opportunities is an area McMahon would like to see her team improve in from Saturday’s game. UMass attempted 33 shots against Albany and could only find the back of the net on eight of them. Their 24.2 percent shooting was well below their 44.5 percent average.

The Minutewomen are led by freshman Katie Ferris on offense. She has 17 goals in the last five games, including four-straight hat tricks.

“We’re definitely going to learn from [the loss] and fix our mistakes in practice.” said Ferris.

Last year’s leader in assists and goals, Jackie Lyons, paces the team with 14 goals and 11 assists. Haley Smith and Sam Rush have provided instant offense off the bench for the Minutewomen. Smith has 13 goals on the season, while Rush has two hat tricks over the last four games.

Senior Nazy Kerr, one of the vocal leaders of the team, leads the defense. Junior defender Riley Perry leads the team in groundballs with 14, while Katie Florence patrols the net for the Maroon and White. Florence carries an impressive 6-1 record, a .532 save percentage, and a 9.22 goals against average.

UMass and Marist are not familiar with each other on the lacrosse field. The meeting Tuesday will be the first between the teams in the schools’ histories.

Marist (3-4), a member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC), enters Tuesday’s game slumping. The Red Foxes have lost three of their last four and are coming off a 15-8 drubbing against Vermont.

In 2010, Marist won the MAAC tournament and earned a berth into the NCAA Tournament. However, the Red Foxes received the daunting task of taking down lacrosse-powerhouse Maryland in the first round. The eventual-national champion Terrapins dominated Marist and ended its season in embarrassing fashion, handing them a 20-5 loss.

Defending MAAC Offensive Player of the Year Kelly Condon returns for the Red Foxes as their most lethal offensive threat. Condon leads the team in points scored with 22. Condon gets plenty of help from complementary players such as Jori Procaccini (17 goals), Ariel Kramer (14 goals) and Jamie Romano (11 goals).

For the second year in a row, both Alyssa Littin and Ashley Casiano have shared time in the cage. Last season, Littin started 13 of the team’s 18 games, but so far this year, Casiano has earned the majority of playing time, starting six of the Red Foxes’ seven games.

Considering that Marist returns a majority of its scoring and both goalies from last season, its struggles in 2011 have been puzzling. However, a decrease in scoring and an increase in goals allowed is a possible explanation. In 2010, the Red Foxes scored 10.72 goals per game and allowed 11.61 goals per game, but this season they have scored just 9.71 per game while allowing 12.29 per game.

The Minutewomen are well aware that No. 2 Northwestern will be coming to town Saturday night, but they cannot overlook a Marist team that’s hungry for a victory.

The game will be played at 4 p.m. in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at jtalexan@student.umass.edu.