UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

GetWellMeals_WebBanners

GetWellMeals_WebBanners

Offense struggling in early season

Through the first nine games of the season, the Massachusetts baseball team had one win, a 2-1 defensive battle against Toledo highlighted by a strong pitching performance from junior Glen Misho. Misho’s skill led him to be named Co-Atlantic 10 Pitcher of the Week.

What it did not lead to, however, were a ton of runs crossing the plate. In six of their games this season, the Minutemen have failed to score more than three runs. In all but five games to date this season, the Minutemen managed six hits or less.

UMass coach Mike Stone said that at this point in the season the lack of scoring might just have to do with shaking some of the rust off and getting outside to play.

While several of the team’s 14 freshmen have been getting opportunities to show their worth, Stone said that the middle of the order has remained largely the same, consisting of team veterans like seniors Eric Fredette, Peter Copa, Kyle Multner and Matt Gedman. Copa leads the team with four home runs.

While Stone admits that it takes some time for the freshmen to get used to the college game, he believes it is also true that this year’s bunch has responded well so far. Stone said they are a talented group of athletes who have shown good attitudes from the beginning.

One of the freshmen that Stone speaks highly of is Josh Messier. Messier, a New Bedford native, has played at shortstop in all eight games thus far, and he managed five hits in his first 31 at bats.

Stone said he believed in “giving [the] younger kids a chance to play,” and that it will just take time for them to adjust to the Division I game.

“[That’s] part of the deal right now,” said Stone.

Stone also noted that at this point in the season, three or four different spots in the lineup give the Minutemen flexibility, something that has changed annually.

While this year’s statistics show hitting has not been the team’s strength thus far, the March 15 contest with Army helped the UMass offense gain some steam and lead them in the right direction. More than doubling their hit total from any other game, the Minutemen had 14 hits in a 10-9 loss to the Black Knights.

Producing big for the Minutemen was the middle of the order. Gedman, Copa and junior catcher Tom Conley led the Minutemen with three hits a piece, combining to knock in six runs. Freshmen Adam Picard collected two hits and Messier had one.

The Minutemen, however, left many opportunities on base, stranding a total of 13 runners, seven of them coming while Copa was up to bat.

UMass continued to increase in its offensive creativity, as it earned scored 36 runs since the Army game, including a 26-13 advantage over Bucknell, Northwestern and UMBC for three-straight wins.

All of the early season travel does not bother Stone as he contemplates the offense. He said playing baseball up north is simply part of the territory and no one’s complaining.

“[We’re] glad to be here,” said Stone.

Eric Mansfield can be reached at eamansfi@student.umass.edu.