Towson stonewalls UMass men’s lacrosse in CAA Championship; Minutemen season ends after 9-4 loss -

Zach Coleman to join former coach Derek Kellogg at LIU Brooklyn -

UMass men’s lacrosse advances to CAA finals courtesy of Dan Muller’s heroics -

On campus: The liberal assault on free speech -

Ten tips for increasing your level of energy!

MCT

MCT

Feeling tired in the morning? Feeling sluggish throughout the day? On many occasions a lack of sleep is the cause for this, but when you are getting the recommended hours of rest at night something else could be to blame. Recharge and get back into the swing of things here at the University of Massachusetts by trying these tips proven to boost energy and increase productivity when you’re feeling tired.

Get Energized Tip #1: SLEEP!
Beginning with the most common cause for tiredness, make sure you are getting a good night’s rest. An hour before bedtime, shut off all of your digital devices and try not to do any heavy reading. Computer and TV before bed can decrease the quality of sleep, making a person feel less rested in the morning. There is nothing completely wrong with reading before bed, but the light and fast flow of data could disturb a good night’s rest.

Get Energized Tip #2: Less Carbs, Carbs, Carbs
Carbohydrates and sugary drinks later in the day can make blood sugar levels crash at night. The morning after, a person wakes up feeling tired and craving more carbs. Fulfilling this craving promotes the continuation of this pattern. Starting the day with whole grains, low-fat dairy and a serving of protein is a great way to boost energy and encourage healthy eating habits for the rest of the day.

Get Energized Tip #3: Get More Iron
Eat leafy greens and lean red meats to increase your iron intake. Deep, green vegetables and lean meats contain high levels of iron, which is essential for forming red blood cells. Red blood cells carry oxygen throughout your bloodstream, so without enough iron, you are starving your body of oxygen it needs to carry out the simplest of tasks. To ensure iron levels are where they should be, take a multivitamin for insurance.

Get Energized Tip #4: Exercising Gives a Boost
Exercising is commonly associated with feeling exhausted, but the opposite is true. Increasing activity, whether it is by going to the gym or by walking around the office, can increase your energy level.

Get Energized Tip #5: Power Nap
Feeling sluggish in the afternoon? Research shows that a quick power nap can increase energy, reduce stress and improve cognitive functioning. Napping also means more patience, less anxiety, better reaction time and overall better health. Expert’s advise to keep naps between 15 and 30 minutes, since sleeping longer gets you into deeper stages of sleep, from which it is more difficult to awaken.

Get Energized Tip #6: Drink Water
Even slight dehydration can leave a person feeling fatigued. The solution is as simple as drinking a tall, cool glass of water. Drink a glass first thing in the morning before breakfast to jumpstart the day and after a workout to replenish lost fluids to keep the body going. Also remember that the body often confuses signals of hunger with thirst. When you think you are hungry, drink a glass of water first.

Get Energized Tip #7: Latte, Not Coffee
Need a caffeine boost? Substitute a coffee for a latte. A latte contains the caffeine needed to give a jolt of energy like coffee, but also contains milk with protein to provide a longer-lasting energy boost.

Get Energized Tip #8: Eat Power Foods
Carry a snack throughout the day for those times when you are feeling sluggish—just make sure the right foods are packed. Dried fruits, almonds, bananas, oatmeal and yogurt are great low-calorie snacks that provide a boost.

Emily McLaughlin can be reached at emclaugh@student.umass.edu.