UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Boutin starting to produce after slow start to 2011 season

Junior pitcher Sara Plourde is the catalyst for the Massachusetts softball team. There’s no doubt about that.

Yet, as good as Plourde is, she’s just a pitcher. She can’t hit, which means she can’t contribute to the UMass offense at the plate. Instead, the player the Minutewomen will depend on for offense is senior Audrey Boutin.

“She’s a big, strong kid,” said UMass coach Elaine Sortino. “It’s nice to see her come up to the plate in the [cleanup] position. She’s been pretty steady and she hit very, very well in South Florida. She’s stepped it up [recently] and we needed it.”

A junior, Boutin has started all 19 games at first base this season, but her statistics are a bit lacking so far due to a slow start. She’s batting .250 and out of her 15 hits, only three were for extra-bases. She’s scored four runs, which is tied for sixth on the team and hasn’t been as much of a power threat as she’d like.

“Bad choices [affected her start this season],” said Sortino. “Not swinging at good pitches. I think that when you’re anxious, you don’t make good choices and it sounds crazy, but you have to be calm but aggressive. Those are two very contradicting words, but that’s what a great hitter is.”

The potential is there. This is the same player who batted .554 with 36 runs on 41 hits, four doubles, three triples and seven home runs in her senior season of high school. She slugged .973, which is unheard of regardless of the level, meaning that virtually every time Boutin recorded a hit, it went for extra-bases. She had a solid glove as well, only committing two errors that season.

The team is hoping that Boutin can channel her play and get back to the level she exhibited as a sophomore in 2009 when she played in 38 games and batted .295 with three home runs, 11 runs batted in, nine walks and four runs scored. Despite her struggles out of the gate thus far, she seems to have found her stroke at the plate.

After raising her batting average more than 20 points in the past few games, Boutin is red-hot. In the last two weeks she’s hit .417 through seven games including hitting a torrid .474 with eight RBIs and a home run in the USF Under Armour Showcase alone. She’s notched two home runs, which is tied for first on the team and she’s second in RBIs with 10.

While she’s a big threat when she’s swinging, Boutin also boasts a .338 on-base percentage and eight walks to date, indicating that she’s a patient hitter at the plate. She does just as much damage when she walks as when she hits. She waits for her perfect pitch and if she doesn’t get it, she doesn’t swing. That’s hard to do in softball where a pitcher typically dominates games throwing off-speed and breaking pitches to a batter who is only 40-feet away.

“Those are good numbers [from Boutin],” said Sortino. “That’s very hard to do, but I think she’s got a great eye and in her head she’s in a good place. I felt like she took some good pitches on Saturday, but her pitch-to-strikeout ratio is excellent.”

The average speed of a collegiate pitcher in softball is about 60 miles-per-hour, but the mound is only 40-feet away from the plate. This gives Boutin, or any other UMass batter, about .26-seconds to react to a pitch when it leaves the pitcher’s hand. Comparatively, a collegiate baseball pitcher averages about 84 mph from a mound 60.6-feet away. That equals about .45-seconds to react. It’s much harder for a softball player to successfully be selective in her at-bats, but it’s something that Boutin does very well.

Now that Boutin has begun to produce at the plate, the Minutewomen should be able to shake off some of the rust offensively and get back to doing what they’ve always done: score runs and win games. Sortino hasn’t let up on her expectations of this year’s squad and the players are just as determined as their coach.

With Boutin swinging away, their chances look pretty good.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.