Pat Kelsey informs UMass AD Ryan Bamford of change of heart just 35 minutes before scheduled press conference -

Past and present UMass football players participate in 2017 Pro Day Thursday -

Pat Kelsey reportedly backs down from UMass men’s basketball coaching position -

Students react to new fence around Townehouses -

‘Do You Have The Right To Do Drugs?’ debate held in Bowker Auditorium -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to build on three-game winning streak against Brown -

UMass softball riding five-game win streak into first Atlantic 10 showdown -

Sanzo: Inability to win close games has hurt UMass baseball -

Hannah Murphy scores 100th career goal in UMass women’s lacrosse 16-9 win over Harvard -

Old age does no harm to indie rock legends The Feelies -

A track-by-track breakdown of Drake’s new project -

When a president lies -

Let them eat steak, and other gender norms I hate -

Dissecting Science: Episode Two -

Holy Cross 10-run eighth inning sinks UMass baseball -

UMass students react to Spring Concert lineup -

Letter: Vote yes for Amherst -

You don’t have to walk alone -

Tyler Bogart and D.J. Smith lead UMass men’s lacrosse during three game win streak -

UMass women’s lacrosse emphasizes defense in approaching games as its key to gaining momentum for conference play -

Pretty Little Liars: The Finale Was Only the Beginning

pll cast abcfam

(Courtesy of ABC Family)

When I first heard that Sara Shepard’s “Pretty Little Liars” book series was being adapted as a television show, I was incredibly excited. I came across the “Pretty Little Liars” novels by accident while I was perusing my public library for some reading material. Yes, I am that one person who still uses the public library. Anyway, once I started reading I couldn’t put them down. The series is exciting and new. Shepard creates a perfect blend of slightly unbelievable drama and compelling characters.  

Although I am in love with the novels, I have had a love/hate relationship with the television series since it began. Visually, I have no problem with the show. Aria, Hannah, Spencer and Emily are what I had always pictured down their awesome clothes and accessories. Also, the set serves the plot well, bright lighting when needed and dark and sketchy where necessary. My only problem is the narrative.  

For a premise like “PLL” to work, each character’s story has to be well thought out, explained and portrayed effectively. The sneakiness of “A,” the drama of the characters personal lives and the weaving in and out of flashbacks featuring Allison gets complicated, and without effective writing, it’s easy for the hour to turn into a mess. After the first couple of episodes I kind of fell off the “PLL” wagon, watching the show when I could and catching up once in a while if a repeat was on. However, last Monday the show went from a catch-it-when-it’s-on to a must-see.   

I won’t spoil it for you, but halfway into the show, an encounter between Hanna and Jenna occurred that made me gasp. Out loud. For the rest of the episode, I was hooked. It was everything good about “PLL” that had attracted me in the first place- drama, suspense and emotion.   

Spoiler Alert from here on!   

Last week was the season finale and I have to say, although we got more questions than answers, I am excited for where the show is headed. At the end of the episode Ian was “killed,” but his body disappeared and it was revealed that “A” is still up to her old tricks. After the girls were confronted by the police we got some foreshadowing into what’s to come.   

The whispers around Rosewood are that the girls are liars and if the show follows the progression of the novels, then those whispers are only going to become louder and louder. I don’t want to reveal too much, but what happens next is the reason why the series is called “Pretty Little Liars.” There are only good things to come, and the discovery of “A’s,” identity isn’t even the juiciest part.  

Okay Spoilers done.  

So, if you are me two weeks ago and are only periodically watching “PLL,” get on Hulu and catch up before it returns on June 14. Trust me you won’t regret it.

Naychelle Lucas can be reached at nllucas@student.umass.edu.