Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Pretty Little Liars: The Finale Was Only the Beginning

pll cast abcfam

(Courtesy of ABC Family)

When I first heard that Sara Shepard’s “Pretty Little Liars” book series was being adapted as a television show, I was incredibly excited. I came across the “Pretty Little Liars” novels by accident while I was perusing my public library for some reading material. Yes, I am that one person who still uses the public library. Anyway, once I started reading I couldn’t put them down. The series is exciting and new. Shepard creates a perfect blend of slightly unbelievable drama and compelling characters.  

Although I am in love with the novels, I have had a love/hate relationship with the television series since it began. Visually, I have no problem with the show. Aria, Hannah, Spencer and Emily are what I had always pictured down their awesome clothes and accessories. Also, the set serves the plot well, bright lighting when needed and dark and sketchy where necessary. My only problem is the narrative.  

For a premise like “PLL” to work, each character’s story has to be well thought out, explained and portrayed effectively. The sneakiness of “A,” the drama of the characters personal lives and the weaving in and out of flashbacks featuring Allison gets complicated, and without effective writing, it’s easy for the hour to turn into a mess. After the first couple of episodes I kind of fell off the “PLL” wagon, watching the show when I could and catching up once in a while if a repeat was on. However, last Monday the show went from a catch-it-when-it’s-on to a must-see.   

I won’t spoil it for you, but halfway into the show, an encounter between Hanna and Jenna occurred that made me gasp. Out loud. For the rest of the episode, I was hooked. It was everything good about “PLL” that had attracted me in the first place- drama, suspense and emotion.   

Spoiler Alert from here on!   

Last week was the season finale and I have to say, although we got more questions than answers, I am excited for where the show is headed. At the end of the episode Ian was “killed,” but his body disappeared and it was revealed that “A” is still up to her old tricks. After the girls were confronted by the police we got some foreshadowing into what’s to come.   

The whispers around Rosewood are that the girls are liars and if the show follows the progression of the novels, then those whispers are only going to become louder and louder. I don’t want to reveal too much, but what happens next is the reason why the series is called “Pretty Little Liars.” There are only good things to come, and the discovery of “A’s,” identity isn’t even the juiciest part.  

Okay Spoilers done.  

So, if you are me two weeks ago and are only periodically watching “PLL,” get on Hulu and catch up before it returns on June 14. Trust me you won’t regret it.

Naychelle Lucas can be reached at nllucas@student.umass.edu.