John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

UMass tennis team battles injuries as season comes to an end -

Pretty Little Liars: The Finale Was Only the Beginning

pll cast abcfam

(Courtesy of ABC Family)

When I first heard that Sara Shepard’s “Pretty Little Liars” book series was being adapted as a television show, I was incredibly excited. I came across the “Pretty Little Liars” novels by accident while I was perusing my public library for some reading material. Yes, I am that one person who still uses the public library. Anyway, once I started reading I couldn’t put them down. The series is exciting and new. Shepard creates a perfect blend of slightly unbelievable drama and compelling characters.  

Although I am in love with the novels, I have had a love/hate relationship with the television series since it began. Visually, I have no problem with the show. Aria, Hannah, Spencer and Emily are what I had always pictured down their awesome clothes and accessories. Also, the set serves the plot well, bright lighting when needed and dark and sketchy where necessary. My only problem is the narrative.  

For a premise like “PLL” to work, each character’s story has to be well thought out, explained and portrayed effectively. The sneakiness of “A,” the drama of the characters personal lives and the weaving in and out of flashbacks featuring Allison gets complicated, and without effective writing, it’s easy for the hour to turn into a mess. After the first couple of episodes I kind of fell off the “PLL” wagon, watching the show when I could and catching up once in a while if a repeat was on. However, last Monday the show went from a catch-it-when-it’s-on to a must-see.   

I won’t spoil it for you, but halfway into the show, an encounter between Hanna and Jenna occurred that made me gasp. Out loud. For the rest of the episode, I was hooked. It was everything good about “PLL” that had attracted me in the first place- drama, suspense and emotion.   

Spoiler Alert from here on!   

Last week was the season finale and I have to say, although we got more questions than answers, I am excited for where the show is headed. At the end of the episode Ian was “killed,” but his body disappeared and it was revealed that “A” is still up to her old tricks. After the girls were confronted by the police we got some foreshadowing into what’s to come.   

The whispers around Rosewood are that the girls are liars and if the show follows the progression of the novels, then those whispers are only going to become louder and louder. I don’t want to reveal too much, but what happens next is the reason why the series is called “Pretty Little Liars.” There are only good things to come, and the discovery of “A’s,” identity isn’t even the juiciest part.  

Okay Spoilers done.  

So, if you are me two weeks ago and are only periodically watching “PLL,” get on Hulu and catch up before it returns on June 14. Trust me you won’t regret it.

Naychelle Lucas can be reached at nllucas@student.umass.edu.