No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass forward Zach Coleman excels in increased role against Florida State -

Monday, November 24, 2014

SLIDESHOW: Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament -

Monday, November 24, 2014

CMASS holds ‘Half Empty or Half Full?: What is Sustainability?’ meeting -

Monday, November 24, 2014

UMass women’s basketball splits weekend series in Hospitality Hill Challenge -

Monday, November 24, 2014

Pretty Little Liars: The Finale Was Only the Beginning

pll cast abcfam

(Courtesy of ABC Family)

When I first heard that Sara Shepard’s “Pretty Little Liars” book series was being adapted as a television show, I was incredibly excited. I came across the “Pretty Little Liars” novels by accident while I was perusing my public library for some reading material. Yes, I am that one person who still uses the public library. Anyway, once I started reading I couldn’t put them down. The series is exciting and new. Shepard creates a perfect blend of slightly unbelievable drama and compelling characters.  

Although I am in love with the novels, I have had a love/hate relationship with the television series since it began. Visually, I have no problem with the show. Aria, Hannah, Spencer and Emily are what I had always pictured down their awesome clothes and accessories. Also, the set serves the plot well, bright lighting when needed and dark and sketchy where necessary. My only problem is the narrative.  

For a premise like “PLL” to work, each character’s story has to be well thought out, explained and portrayed effectively. The sneakiness of “A,” the drama of the characters personal lives and the weaving in and out of flashbacks featuring Allison gets complicated, and without effective writing, it’s easy for the hour to turn into a mess. After the first couple of episodes I kind of fell off the “PLL” wagon, watching the show when I could and catching up once in a while if a repeat was on. However, last Monday the show went from a catch-it-when-it’s-on to a must-see.   

I won’t spoil it for you, but halfway into the show, an encounter between Hanna and Jenna occurred that made me gasp. Out loud. For the rest of the episode, I was hooked. It was everything good about “PLL” that had attracted me in the first place- drama, suspense and emotion.   

Spoiler Alert from here on!   

Last week was the season finale and I have to say, although we got more questions than answers, I am excited for where the show is headed. At the end of the episode Ian was “killed,” but his body disappeared and it was revealed that “A” is still up to her old tricks. After the girls were confronted by the police we got some foreshadowing into what’s to come.   

The whispers around Rosewood are that the girls are liars and if the show follows the progression of the novels, then those whispers are only going to become louder and louder. I don’t want to reveal too much, but what happens next is the reason why the series is called “Pretty Little Liars.” There are only good things to come, and the discovery of “A’s,” identity isn’t even the juiciest part.  

Okay Spoilers done.  

So, if you are me two weeks ago and are only periodically watching “PLL,” get on Hulu and catch up before it returns on June 14. Trust me you won’t regret it.

Naychelle Lucas can be reached at nllucas@student.umass.edu.