Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Minutemen head to Hartford for matchup with Hawks

The Massachusetts baseball team ended its spring break road trip with a three-game win streak. The Minutemen will look to get back on the winning track, after losing its last two games to George Washington and Holy Cross, when they take on Hartford on Thursday.

The Hawks (1-16-1) have had a rough beginning to their season. Of its 16 losses, Hartford has given up at least 10 runs in 12 games and have managed to score more than three runs on four occassions.

Hartford has also been shut out in three of its last five games. Among the 11 players on the roster who have played in at least 11 games, only redshirt junior Simon Kudernatsch has managed to hit over .300 with an average (.303). Kudernatsch also leads the team in RBI’s with 11. The team’s ERA stands at 9.93 and its opponent’s batting average is .225.

Early on this season, one of the Minutemen’s problems was getting runs across the plate. In its first seven games, UMass only plated more than three runs once. In each of their last seven games; however, the Minutemen have not scored fewer than four runs.

One of the key contributors to the rise in offensive production has been senior Matt Gedman, who leads the team in batting average (.410). Gedman is tied for second on the team in home runs with Kyle Multner at two, as Peter Copa leads the team with four. Gedman stands alone at second in RBI’s with 11, trailing only Copa’s 12. This production helped earn Gedman UMass Athlete of the Week last week.

While the offense has started to pick up, a lot of the production has fallen on the shoulders of Copa, Gedman and two other seniors, Kyle Multner and Eric Fredette. Those four players fall within the top five in all the major offensive categories. On a regular basis, the four seniors bat in the middle of the lineup in order to get more offensive production. With such a freshmen laden team, though, there can be some cause for concern.

Facing Hartford’s low-scoring offense may be just what the Minutemen pitching staff needs come Thursday. Seven of UMass’ losses have come while giving up seven runs or more. The team’s ERA stands at 5.83 and opponents are hitting .321 against them. The staff has been led so far by junior Glen Misho, whose record is 3-1 with a 4.28 ERA and one complete game.

Eric Mansfield can be reached at eamansfi@student.umass.edu.