One incumbent prevails, the other falls

Billy Perkins/Collegian

The majority of voters in Amherst yesterday chose to keep one incumbent, while they narrowly chose not to re-elect the other incumbent in the town’s two contested town-wide races.

According to election results provided by Town Clerk Sandra Burgess last night, incumbent Amherst Redevelopment Authority member Aaron Hayden managed to fend off a challenge from Vincent O’Connor for a seat on that board, netting 880 votes to O’Connor’s 509.

However, in the race for two seats on the town’s Jones Library Board of Trustees, Michael Wolff managed to edge out incumbent Patricia Holland, picking up 665 votes to Holland’s 660. Incumbent Christopher Holland also retained his seat on that board, garnering 832 votes.

In the other uncontested town-wide races, incumbents Stephanie O’Keeffe and Diana Stein were both re-elected to three-year terms on the Select Board, picking up 1,090 and 1,066 votes, respectively.

Katherine Appy was elected to a three-year term on the School Committee, after garnering 1,133 votes.

Judy Brooks picked up 1,021 votes, launching her to a five-year term on the town’s Housing Authority.

Additionally, Harrison Gregg was elected to a one-year term as town moderator, while John Coull was voted to serve as the town’s elector of the Oliver Smith will, with 1,137 and 1,017 votes, respectively.

Voters in each of the town’s 10 precincts yesterday also determined who will serve as their representatives at Town Meetings.

-Collegian News Staff