BC’s methodical rushing attack wears UMass down -

Saturday, August 30, 2014

UMass football dominated as Boston College rolls to a 30-7 victory -

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Arrest made after lewd acts on campus -

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Suspect in custody after break-ins on Lincoln Avenue -

Thursday, August 28, 2014

UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

SGA request delay of potential smoke-free campus policy

Student Government Association members have approved a motion to send a recommendation to the Chancellor asking him not to approve any smoke-free or tobacco-free policy until it is approved by both the SGA and the Graduate Student Senate (GSS).

“The faculty senate is trying to ban smoking tobacco and chewing smokeless tobacco on campus,” said Sen. Jarred Rose, a co-sponsor of the motion, at yesterday’s SGA meeting. Rose explained that the motion delays a potential smoke-free campus policy until a time when students feel that it is necessary to implement.

Rose said that the SGA was not necessarily opposed to the policy, only that it was being pushed through too fast.

“We’re not trying to ask the chancellor to reject policy, but rather to wait to make a decision on it until he gets more information from the SGA and GSS,” he said.

“The Faculty Senate hasn’t had any type of open communication or forum with us, which is disappointing,” Rose continued. “If the SGA tried to do anything like this we’d have lots of opposition; everyone would be trying to stop us. This just seems like it’s coming from very closed doors.”

The motion’s co-sponsor Sen. Josh Davidson, a smoker, explained his concern was not about the act of smoking, but about the Faculty Senate infringing on his rights.

“Anyone can smoke anywhere else outside,” he said. “This wouldn’t be such an issue if they were just telling me that I had to smoke 50 feet away from a building instead of 20. But this is more than that.

“When the faculty is telling me and other students what to do without any student consultation, then I have a problem,” Davidson continued. “This is about respecting individual choices whether you agree with them or not.”

Rose, though not a smoker, agreed.

“I don’t personally agree with smoking but I think you should have the right to smoke if you want to,” he said.

Other concerns about the policy were also addressed at the meeting.

“If you are driving [and smoking] through campus in your car on North Pleasant Street, you would be violating the policy,” said Sen. Ellen Moorhouse.

Rose noted that the policy would also apply to members outside the UMass community, including parents and visitors.

Rose explained that he had heard rumors that the faculty senate was looking into implementing a smoke-free policy, but he figured it wouldn’t go anywhere because there would probably be a lot of opposition.

“What is funny in this situation is that Faculty Senate didn’t understand why there was so much opposition,” he said.

Ashley Berger can be reached at aberger@student.umass.edu.