Sisters to take the Runway

Sistersontherunway.org

Are you craving to see the spring’s fiercest fashions on pretty student models, all while helping those who suffer from domestic violence? If that sounds appealing, check out the University of Massachusetts chapter of Sisters on the Runway’s fashion show event this weekend.

SotR is a national organization through which students promote awareness and raise money for domestic violence victims by putting on fashion shows. The Sisters donate all of the fashion show’s proceeds to local domestic violence shelters, which are chosen by the students involved.

The charitable organization was created by three 15-year-old girls from Montclair, N.J. in 2005. Together, Elizabeth Eddy, Gabriela Graham and Juliana Colangelo have raised over $50,000 from annual fashion shows for local charities supporting abused women and children.

UMass is the third school to follow after SotR’s lead, putting on a fashion show in the Campus Center Auditorium this Saturday, April 9 from 6-9 p.m. Students Alissar Taremi and Kaelyn Siversky are co-presidents of the student run organization, as well as in charge of putting on the fashion show. The two also oversee 11 officers which include committee heads of models, sponsorship, membership, event planning and fundraising.

The upcoming fashion show will feature local boutiques, student designs and name-brand designers, in addition to music performed by DJ Loo. There will be performances prior to the event, along with food and a raffle.

Taremi and Siversky have arranged numerous fundraisers for the event, including a bake sale in UMass’ School of Management atrium on Wednesday, April 6 and a benefit at Arizona Pizza Company on Thursday, April 7.

The UMass Sisters chose to donate the show’s proceeds to Safe Passage, a shelter in Northampton. Safe Passage is an organization that provides services for victims of domestic violence in Hampshire County. The group also has an emergency shelter program for families who are fleeing abuse, counseling and advocacy programs, and a 24-hour hotline. Safe Passage has been helping victims of domestic abuse since 1977.

Safe Passage’s Director of Development Sarah Smith said that several of the shelter’s board members will be in attendance and/or speaking at the show this weekend.

Smith feels events such as the fashion show are vital in keeping Safe Passage running,

“They really make a difference in helping us meet the costs of providing services,” she said. “We wouldn’t be able to maintain services we have without events like this, so we are really grateful.”

According to sistersontherunway.org, one out of every four women is affected by domestic violence. Safe Passage defines domestic violence as “a pattern of behaviors in which a person tries to control the thoughts, beliefs, conduct or actions of his or her partner.” The shelter elaborates, saying the type of violence “takes many forms, including physical, emotional, sexual, and/or economic abuse.”

Sisters on the Runway adds on, saying domestic violence is “a situation that affects every community, gender, age and race.” The organization feels strongly that “it seems ironic that it is also one of the least discussed and funded issues,” stated on the SotR website.

According to Safe Passage’s website Safepass.org, “Each year, Safe Passage answers over 2,000 calls on our hotline, supports more than 250 women through our counseling and legal programs, and houses at least 35 women and 55 children in our shelter program.”

Safe Passage is located at 43 Center Street Suite 304 in Northampton. The 24-hour hotline is 413-586-5066, and the toll-free line is 888-345-5282.

Taremi and Siversky are looking for new members for the charitable organization at UMass, and urge students to email [email protected] for additional information. With nearly 500 confirmed guests on the event’s Facebook page, the fashion show is sure to benefit Safe Passage and spread domestic violence awareness to students on campus.

Tickets for the event are still available for purchase for $10 for students and $15 for non-students. Tickets will also be sold beforehand in the Campus Center one hour prior to the event, and doors open at 6 p.m.

Kate Evans can be reached at [email protected].