UMass accepts $1.4 million donation from Monsanto -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Ryan Buckingham impresses in net for UMass men’s soccer -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A journey into the magical cuisine of Morocco -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Apple, Google and the looming war over data security: whatever happens, we win -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Say hello to some fall beer selections -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Men’s cross country increasing their pace at second season invitational -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Recipe: Bacon-wrapped chicken breast with sage butter -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

UHS branches off with a center for women -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

After tearing his ACL a year ago, Andrew Libby is again making plays for UMass football -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

UMass polo club open to those of all skill types -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Return to McGuirk: Football’s return creates anticipated spike in local business -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Pita Pockets: Cooking from the heart -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Morality will not win the war on terror -

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

College-aged male reportedly bites student, threatens others outside Fine Arts Center -

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

First SGA meeting begins with a new Senate -

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

People’s climate march: Student voices -

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Jenny Dell speaks to UMass students as part of Homecoming week -

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Return to McGuirk: Students anticipate a ‘hyped,’ intimate environment at Homecoming -

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Close games have doomed UMass field hockey, but Sam Carlino remains a bright spot in net -

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer recuperating at midway point of season -

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Minutewomen get two wins on the road, improve undefeated visiting slate

The No. 11 Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team capped off a 2-0 weekend in conference play with a 16-10 win over St. Bonaventure on Sunday afternoon.

The Minutewomen (11-2, 4-0 Atlantic 10) won their fourth-straight game in conference play and improved their record on the road to 7-0.

Katie Ferris led the way with five goals for UMass, her third five-goal performance of the season. Ferris received plenty of help, as Dayna Defliese, Jesse O’Donnell and Nina Sarcona all added hat tricks. Katie Florence recorded her eleventh win of the season and made five saves in net.

UMass outshot the Bonnies, 39-20, and put constant pressure on St. Bonaventure’s goalkeeper with 32 shots on net.

Statistically, the shots taken category was not the only one dominated by the Minutewomen.

For the ninth time this year, UMass won the battle of the draw controls, collecting 16 faceoffs to the Bonnies’ 12.

In addition, the Minutewomen held an advantage in groundballs (21-9) and forced the opposition into 15 turnovers, while relinquishing the ball just nine times.

Finally, UMass was successful on all 15 of its clear attempts, a major contributor to the amount of shots the Minutewomen were able to get off.

The Maroon and White used a 6-1 run over the last 22 minutes and four seconds of the first half to take a 7-3 lead going into the break.

Ferris and O’Donnell paced the team with two goals apiece in the half.

In the second half, the Bonnies scrapped their way back into the game, when Emily Kane scored early, making the score 9-6

The Minutewomen would not be outdone, however, as they responded with three of the next four goals, with Haley Smith capping off the run with her second goal of the game, extending the lead to six.

With just under eight minutes remaining, the lead seemed insurmountable and a UMass win appeared inevitable. However, the Bonnies made the final few minutes uncomfortable for the Minutewomen.

With four minutes, 39 seconds to play, the Bonnies’ Danielle Drabin scored on a free-position goal, cutting the deficit to four.

But Defliese, who entered the game with just four goals on the season, scored her third goal of the game and effectively put the game away for good.

Drabin led the Bonnies (4-6, 1-3 A-10) with three goals, and goalie Karly Kocis stopped 16 shots.

On Friday, the Minutewomen kicked off their successful weekend with a 13-6 victory over Duquesne, a team that had defeated UMass in their last three meetings.

The Minutewomen were led by freshman Katie Ferris (four goals, one assist) and senior Jackie Lyons (three goals, one assist), while O’Donnell and Smith each added two goals a piece.

Florence made four saves in the cage for the Minutewomen.

Lyons now has 125 career goals, as her hat trick moved her into a tie with Sue Murray for the third-most goals in UMass history.

Again, the draw controls were a pivotal part of the game for the Minutewomen, who went 17-for-21 in draw controls against the Dukes.

UMass stormed out to a 5-0 lead in the first 15 minutes and 12 seconds of play. Duquesne tacked on a pair of goals to stop the run, and the Minutewomen offense was held at bay until Lyons scored the final goal of the half, making the score 6-2.

The Dukes’ Katie Rekart opened up the second half with her second goal of the game. From that point on, it was all UMass, as the Minutewomen went on their second 5-0 run of the game, highlighted by Ferris’ third goal of the contest.

The teams traded goals for the rest of the half, with Duquesne unable to make a legitimate run at the lead.

UMass outshot the Dukes, 38-17, and barely won the groundball battle, 18-17.

Rekart led her team with three goals and one assist, and Liz Walker stopped nine shots.

The Minutewomen will have two home games this coming weekend. On Friday they will take on George Washington at 4 p.m. Then on Sunday, Richmond will come to town for a 12 p.m. start, with both games being played at McGuirk Stadium.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at jtalexan@student.umass.edu.