Micheletto apologizes to fans, aims to regroup following 11-1 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Vermont throttles UMass hockey 11-1 -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass guard Trey Davis: ‘There’s a lot coming at me right now’ -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass ‘big four’ neutralized by Notre Dame in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass basketball can’t corral Grant, Irish in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Frustration haunts Minutemen in 5-3 loss to Boston College -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey drops 5-3 decision to No. 12 Boston College Friday night -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey prepares for nationally ranked Hockey East foes BC, Vermont -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Food scientist proposes way to improve health via breast milk -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons shine in ‘Whiplash’ -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Masculinity: A feminist’s perspective -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball uses size and speed en route to its first win against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Why Melissa McBride is the best actor on television -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

‘Gienie’ in a bottle: Patriots, Browns, and Seahawks highlight week 12 picks -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball secures first victory of the season against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Revisiting ‘The Hobbit’ trilogy as the final installment looms -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Establishing the rules of classroom attendance -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass hockey’s Troy Power reflects as his 100th career game approaches -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Sophomore swimmer Meriza Werenski excelling in increased role -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

SGA senator plans survey on bigotry -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Plourde strikes out 30 in Minutewomen victory

Massachusetts pitcher Sara Plourde won back-to-back games and struck out 30 batters in 14 innings of work as the Minutewomen defeated St. Bonaventure, 1-0 and 7-1, respectively in Sunday’s doubleheader at the UMass Softball Complex.

“Today was definitely one of those days that I had to struggle through and battle through,” said Plourde. “It was good that our offense was able to get a couple runs across the [plate] for some insurance runs, though.”

With her 15-strikeout performance in the day’s second contest, Plourde became the third pitcher in UMass history to reach 900 strikeouts in her career and the first to do it before her senior year. That’s an average of 300 strikeouts-per-season in an Atlantic 10 conference that is full of free-swinging teams. Her career total now sits at 905, 313 behind Brandice Balschmiter (1218).

“She’s a great young pitcher,” said UMass head coach Elaine Sortino. “The thing about her is that she’s getting stronger and things are starting to work a little bit better for her and more effectively. It’s good to see her getting better every day.”

The junior held the Bonnies hitless for 12.2 innings before giving up a first-pitch single to right-field in the sixth inning of the second game. That base runner was the first hit at home allowed by Plourde this season, in over 30 innings.

“I definitely didn’t want to give that up,” said Plourde. “I think I was even ahead in the count too. I really didn’t want to give that one up.”

The lone run of the matchup came from Stephanie Mix, who was pinch-running for Plourde after the ace worked a leadoff walk in the second inning. Mix stole second and advanced to third on an illegal pitch before Teea Rogers singled through the left side of the infield for the only run-batted-in of the first game.

Plourde again dominated the diamond in the second game, allowing her first run at home while striking out 15 and walking one. She received a little more offense in the latter half of the twinbill, receiving hits from 7-of-9 UMass batters, including two home runs.

“I thought we opened up a little bit [offensively],” said Sortino. “We did a good job at the plate, and we stayed patient.”

Lindsey Webster and Stephanie Mayne led the offense for the Minutewomen on the day and each hit two-run home runs to left field in the fifth inning of the second game. After second baseman Kyllie Magill doubled, Webster worked the count to 2-1 then promptly hit the next ball she saw into the netting beyond the left-field fence for her team-leading fourth homer of the season.

Two batters later, Mayne stepped into the batter’s box after first baseman Audrey Boutin walked. Down in the count, 0-2, Mayne got a fastball from Bonnies pitcher Jen Sansano and hit it to the same place Webster did. The round-tripper was Mayne’s second of the year, as she was two-for-three with four RBIs on the day.

The Minutewomen weren’t done scoring, however. After consecutive base-hits by Rogers and centerfielder Cyndil Matthew in the sixth inning, Magill hit a sacrifice fly to the outfield to add another run and make the score 7-1.

The Maroon and White improved to 16-14 overall and 7-3 in A-10 play with the victories and will travel to Chestnut Hill, Mass. on Wednesday to face Boston College at 4 p.m.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.