UMass to host free concert featuring Kesha, Juicy J to deter students from participating in ‘Blarney’ -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to 0-4 with Saturday’s defeat to Brown -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Strong second half snaps three-game losing streak for UMass -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

‘UMass basketball’ returns in victory over Fordham -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

First quarter woes sink UMass men’s lacrosse in Grant Whiteway’s return -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey falls flat in regular season finale to UConn -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey stumbles offensively against UConn’s tough defensive corps -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass seeks increased energy as it hosts Fordham -

Friday, February 27, 2015

Report: UMass continues search for new athletic director, DeFilippo not an option -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UPDATE: Police to charge UMass football player with two counts of aggravated assault and battery -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Students for Justice in Palestine, administration react to inflammatory posters -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass falls short, lacks energy in 82-71 loss to Saint Joseph’s -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Drake’s surprise mixtape yields few surprises -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Potential shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security offers chance for Republican legislature to learn from its mistakes -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Winless UMass faces Brown -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Jose Gonzalez returns with graceful “Vestiges & Claws” -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

SGA to host Women’s Leadership Symposium -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass women’s basketball finishes road schedule with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Keystone XL pipeline sparks pollution awareness -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dartmouth and Fordham to start stretch of key games for Minutewomen -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Atlantic 10 conference gains competitive spotlight

Head coach Angela McMahon and the No. 15 Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team couldn’t have asked for a better start in Atlantic 10 play. But the Minutewomen’s clean Atlantic 10 record will be put to the test this weekend against two of the best teams in the league.

UMass has won its first four conference games and possesses an impressive 11-2 record going into this weekend, which has pleased McMahon.

“I think it’s been great for us, especially for building confidence and being able to get a lot of different players in and having a lot of different people scoring,” said McMahon.

The Minutewomen will host George Washington on Friday, then Richmond on Sunday. Both games will have strong postseason implications as the Minutewomen continually find themselves matched up with Richmond in the postseason, including last year’s championship game.

“I would say in our conference it’s a huge game for us,” said McMahon on the Richmond game. “Depending on if we take care of business against George Washington it’s probably going to determine who gets the top seed in the A-10 Tournament.”

Currently, the Minutewomen and the Spiders sit atop the A-10 standings, each with 4-0 records, while the Colonials enter Friday’s game at 2-2 in conference play and are tied for third place.

“There are a couple of teams in the A-10 that really can compete with any of those top programs,” said McMahon.

This year, UMass has played a vital role in putting the A-10 on the map. Early in the season they defeated then-No. 18 Boston University and then played tough games with No. 2 Northwestern and No. 7 Albany. The tough non-conference schedule, combined with their 11-2 record, has earned them the No. 15 rank in the nation.

The Minutewomen are not the only team making strides from the A-10 as several teams have added nationally-ranked teams to their respective schedules. Based on the current Insider Magazine Women’s Lacrosse Top 20, six different A-10 teams have played teams ranked in the top 20. This includes Temple, the Colonials, the Minutewomen, St. Bonaventure and Duquesne.

Meanwhile, Richmond has had a tough non-conference schedule as they have  compiled an impressive resume that includes No. 1 Maryland, No. 4 Duke, No. 6 North Carolina, No. 9 James Madison, No. 11 Virginia and No. 18 William and Mary.

“It’s a conference that has been improving and getting better and hopefully we have some more nationally ranked teams in our conference as we go forward,” said McMahon.

Despite adding top 20 teams to their schedules, the various A-10 teams haven’t found successful results as they went a combined 0-12 against teams in the current top 20.

McMahon attributes the domination of A-10 teams to the overall depth of the power conferences.

“I think the biggest thing is the depth of those conferences where teams one through six are all in the top 15,” said McMahon.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at jtalexan@student.umass.edu.