Offense abundant during Minutemen’s 2-2 weekend

The Massachusetts baseball team had mixed results during the long weekend’s stretch of four games in four days as the Minutemen scored a lot and were scored on a lot en route to a 2-2 weekend.

The Minutemen (11-16, 5-4 A-10) took two-of-three from Temple, (16-16, 3-9 A-10) who came into the series having lost their previous four games.

Friday’s matchup was a rout, as the Minutemen pounded out 15 hits, defeating the Owls 14-2. Glen Misho earned the victory on the hill, tossing his second complete game of the season. The junior right hander gave up two runs on ten hits, while striking out two and walking none.

UMass head coach Mike Stone said that he thought Misho was outstanding and that he commanded the strike zone and did a good job of keeping the Temple hitters off-balance.

The Minutemen wasted no time in producing runs, as Matt Gedman knocked in Anthony Serino with an RBI single in the top half of the first. UMass would tack on another run in the fourth after Peter Copa singled and scored on an error by the Owl’s shortstop. The Minutemen went up 5-1 in the sixth after Serino drove in three runs with a double to left field.

UMass broke the game open in the seventh inning, scoring six runs on four hits to increase its lead to 11-1.

The Minutemen added three more runs to their total in the ninth after a two-run home run by Copa and an RBI single by Kyle Multner.

The Owls rebounded on Saturday, defeating the Minutemen, 10-9, in 10 innings. The game, which had to be suspended Saturday, was finished on Sunday.

Pacing the Minutemen lineup was Gedman, who finished with four hits and three RBIs.

Taking the loss was Leif Sorenson, who came in to relieve starter Robert Machado. Sorenson went 3.1 innings, giving up four runs on four hits while striking out three and walking one.

Temple walked off with the victory after Adrian Perez knocked in Cameron Green for the game-winning run on a single up the middle.

The final game of the series saw the Minutemen plate 25 runs in a 25-10 victory. The run total was the highest for the Minutemen in an Atlantic 10 game in school history. Stone said that he was glad that his team was hitting the ball well because he knew going in that Temple would be able to score a lot, as well. As of Monday, Temple led the nation in team batting average at .347.

The Minutemen scored in every inning and every starter had at least two hits. Eight of the nine starters had at least two RBIs.

Leading the way for UMass was Tom Conley, who finished with four hits and four RBIs. Eric Fredette went 3-5 with four RBIs and two runs scored. Copa also had three hits and four RBIs.

Monday’s matchup with Connecticut (22-12-1) was the opposite for UMass as UConn scored early and often, defeating the Minutemen 18-3.

UConn’s LJ Mazzilli and Ryan Fuller each finished the game going 3-4 with an RBI.

The Huskies scored in each of the first five innings, plating four runs three different times.

Taking the loss for the Minutemen was starter Joe Popielarczyk who lasted an inning and a third, giving up eight runs on seven hits while walking one with no strikeouts.

Popielarczyk was then replaced by Ron Wallace, who was unable to quiet the UConn bats. Wallace pitched 3.2 innings, giving up nine runs on 11 hits while walking two and striking out two.

Coach Stone said that UConn had better pitching than they had seen over the weekend and that falling behind so much, so early had a noticeable impact on the team’s mental state.

“Once we got behind, I don’t think we locked in as much as we probably should have mentally and lost a little focus,” Stone said.

Stone added that he told the team they needed to believe in a comeback.

“I just reminded them, I said we’ve done it before, we’ve scored a lot of runs. We got to believe. You can’t give up mentally,” Stone said.

One positive note for UMass was that Matt Gedman extended his hitting streak to a career long 15 games.

Next up for the Minutemen will be Tuesday’s game in New Britain, Conn. against Central Connecticut (17-13-1) at 3 p.m. The Blue Devils just had a seven-game winning streak snapped by Fairfield on Sunday.

Eric Mansfield can be reached at [email protected].