UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

New band building unveiled after concert tribute to George N. Parks

Also see: A video recap | A photo slideshow | The full performance list

The University of Massachusetts University Concert Band commemorated its late band director George N. Parks on Sunday afternoon with a performance and the unveiling of the George N. Parks Minuteman Marching Band Building.

“Finally, a place to be,” said Todd Monroe, a UMass alumnus. “It feels like home. You’re outside, [there’s] wind, rain, hail [and] snow all in one day, the one place to be is inside, and now we have a place,” he said.

Interim Director Thomas P. Hannum led the building’s opening Sunday. Hannum addressed the crowd from the top of a second-storey balcony in the new practice room.

Although the building’s official opening and commemoration is scheduled for Nov. 5, Hannum asked the audience to help open the building in a different way.

“I thought it’d be sort of nice if we christened this place in our own way … by doing a little singing of [Frank Sinatra’s] ‘My Way,’” said Hannum.

The audience, filled with current and former band members, accordingly broke out into song. Afterwards, the crowd dispersed to tour the rest of the building.

The band’s new home is unfinished, as construction will continue until the official opening next fall. The floors are neither tiled nor carpeted, and the walls are not heavily decorated. Additionally, several rooms on the upper floor (including a video room, a shower and a bathroom) remain empty and uncompleted.

“As you might imagine, there are still a number of details that remain unfinished with the new Band Building, but it is close enough for us to share its potential with our Minuteman Band family,” Hannum explained on the event page of the building’s opening on the UMass website.

Although the building remains undecorated, Monroe explained he could feel Parks’ presence in the building.

“He’s got his touch on here,” said Monroe. “It’s definitely a landmark place to come visit. Once you feel the history of how long we’ve gone without [such a building], you’re going to feel like you’re home.”

Associate Director Michael J. Klesch said the building was important to establish for the band “so that we can all see what the vision is for this program to move into the future.”

“I think everybody’s going to be blown away” by the finished product, he added.

At the Concert Band’s performance earlier that day at the Fine Arts Center, Hannum spoke to Parks’ involvement with the new building.

“[He wanted to] provide a home and a building for these people so that they’d have a place to go to be together,” said Hannum. “Whatever George sets out to do, it gets done.”

Sophomore Andrea Gonzalez, a trumpet player, also detailed the importance of the new band building as she recalled some logistical troubles she dealt with her freshman year.

“I remember doing band freshman year and having to carry a ton of garments from my dorm to the field in Southwest,” said Gonzalez. “It’s a lot of work, and I feel like [the band] really deserves to have a building.”

Gonzalez was part of the University Concert Band that performed earlier in the day at the FAC with eight songs dedicated to the late director. The concert program noted seniors and members of the band service organizations Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma.

“We thought we’d play a couple of tunes that he’d particularly enjoy,” said Hannum at the concert.

One of these tunes was “Danny Boy,” which Klesch explained is a song Parks really wanted to see performed, as he felt it had a personal and familial touch for him.

“The fact that we got to play a lot of the pieces that he was interested in playing is a big deal,” said Gonzalez. “It’s cool to see what other people can do with the program as well.”

Gonzalez said Klesch is one of the people taking control of the program. Like Gonzalez, Hannum praised Klesch for his work with the band.

“He brings so much to the table and his contributions are immense,” said Hannum. “I’m very fortunate to be a part of this program and to have many great people who are also associated with it. There’s no one else that defines caring and sharing more than Klesch.”

Hannum said caring and sharing were among the main themes of both the building’s opening and the concert’s aim of capturing Parks’ ethos. Additionally, it was the anthem Parks used in raising funds for the building.

“[Parks] really tried to get people motivated to care and share,” said Hannum.

The concert featured eight songs that differentiated between soft and fast-paced. One of the faster numbers was “Rimshot,” which featured Alex King on the snare drum right before intermission.

After intermission, the band played “Elements (Petite Symphony),” and “Greensleeves,” before finishing out with Leroy Anderson’s “Bugler’s Holiday.”

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.

Editor’s note: Several factual errors were made in the original version of the article. Many of the songs were attributed to the wrong composers. Please see a full performance list from the concert. In addition, the band service organizations Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma were incorrectly labeled as Greek houses sponsoring the event. We apologize for these inaccurate statements.

3 Responses to “New band building unveiled after concert tribute to George N. Parks”
  1. Anonymous says:

It’s wonderful to see a positive article about the new building and the hard working students who will soon be using it. They deserve it!

However, I would just like to point out a few corrections. First, the sorority and fraternity are Tau Beta Sigma and Kappa Kappa Psi. The band played eight songs, not six. And lastly Bugler’s Holiday was written by Leroy Anderson, and Rim Shot by Austin Spika (solo) and Donald J. Young (band accompaniment).

Despite those errors, it was a nice article and it’s much appreciated. It always warms the heart to see that others in the university community take an interest in the organization, students, and what they stand for.

2. anon says:

Tau Beta Sigma and Kappa Kappa Psi are service organizations, not “Greek houses.”

3. Rob says:

The errors aside, I thank you for covering this occasion. It’s good to see that others on campus realize how momentous it is for us, and hopefully those on campus feel a connection to it as well as the band is an extension of this campus.

You must be logged in to post a comment.