Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Following tiebreaker, women’s crew takes 2nd in A-10 Championships

UMass Athletics

While nearly three inches of rain fell in the Pennsauken, N.J. area on Saturday, and winds gusted over 20 miles per hour, the Massachusetts women’s rowing team managed to battle through the elements to finish in a three-way tie for first at the Atlantic 10 Championships. After tiebreakers were taken into account, the team earned a second-place finish in the competition.

“I think we had a tremendous effort,” said UMass coach Jim Dietz. “[The weather’s] something that ravaged the whole East Coast. Everybody had problems, no matter where you were racing it was tough. It’s an outdoor sport, you’ve got to suck it up.”

After the final race of the competition, UMass, St. Joseph’s and Rhode Island had each earned 45 points. The tie was broken and the champion was determined according to the order of finish in the Varsity Eight Final.

Dayton finished first in said race with a time of 7:52.20, but could not make the podium at the end of the day. With the second-place finish and a time of 8:07.95, the Hawks were crowned A-10 champions, while UMass (8:07.95) took second and Rhode Island (8:09.26) settled for third.

In their preliminary heat, the Minutewomen’s Varsity Eight team came in second place with a time of 08:29.80, a few seconds behind SJU, who completed the course in 08:23.48.

“The varsity effort was incredible,” said Dietz. “For them to rally and go as fast as they did, it’s just positive, positive, positive. They were probably the youngest varsity out there, as far as underclassmen in the boat, so the future’s really looking positive for us.”

UMass’ Second Varsity Eight finished second in its final, posting a time of 8:38.37. The winner, Rhode Island, came across a few seconds earlier, in 08:32.01.

The Varsity Four team easily raced past the competition in their preliminary heat, blasting past the field by over eight seconds. They slipped past the line in 9:33.39. The victors of the other preliminary heat, URI, managed to take control in the final, however, and earn the victory. The Rams finished in 9:44.16, while the Minutewomen managed a second-place finish in 09:54.16.

UMass will next take to the water on Saturday, when it’ll face off with Holy Cross  on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass. Again, it will be another early start, as the competition will begin at 8 a.m.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu..

You must be logged in to post a comment.