UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Following tiebreaker, women’s crew takes 2nd in A-10 Championships

UMass Athletics

While nearly three inches of rain fell in the Pennsauken, N.J. area on Saturday, and winds gusted over 20 miles per hour, the Massachusetts women’s rowing team managed to battle through the elements to finish in a three-way tie for first at the Atlantic 10 Championships. After tiebreakers were taken into account, the team earned a second-place finish in the competition.

“I think we had a tremendous effort,” said UMass coach Jim Dietz. “[The weather’s] something that ravaged the whole East Coast. Everybody had problems, no matter where you were racing it was tough. It’s an outdoor sport, you’ve got to suck it up.”

After the final race of the competition, UMass, St. Joseph’s and Rhode Island had each earned 45 points. The tie was broken and the champion was determined according to the order of finish in the Varsity Eight Final.

Dayton finished first in said race with a time of 7:52.20, but could not make the podium at the end of the day. With the second-place finish and a time of 8:07.95, the Hawks were crowned A-10 champions, while UMass (8:07.95) took second and Rhode Island (8:09.26) settled for third.

In their preliminary heat, the Minutewomen’s Varsity Eight team came in second place with a time of 08:29.80, a few seconds behind SJU, who completed the course in 08:23.48.

“The varsity effort was incredible,” said Dietz. “For them to rally and go as fast as they did, it’s just positive, positive, positive. They were probably the youngest varsity out there, as far as underclassmen in the boat, so the future’s really looking positive for us.”

UMass’ Second Varsity Eight finished second in its final, posting a time of 8:38.37. The winner, Rhode Island, came across a few seconds earlier, in 08:32.01.

The Varsity Four team easily raced past the competition in their preliminary heat, blasting past the field by over eight seconds. They slipped past the line in 9:33.39. The victors of the other preliminary heat, URI, managed to take control in the final, however, and earn the victory. The Rams finished in 9:44.16, while the Minutewomen managed a second-place finish in 09:54.16.

UMass will next take to the water on Saturday, when it’ll face off with Holy Cross  on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass. Again, it will be another early start, as the competition will begin at 8 a.m.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu..