Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Students respond to Obama’s State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Steve Mastalerz, defense delivers for UMass hockey -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass online graduate programs climb U.S. News & World Report rankings -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Front to Back: Week of Jan. 25, 2015 -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

‘Selma’ resonates with the here and now -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Minutewomen’s streak hits 9

The Massachusetts softball team just won’t stop winning.

The Minutewomen extended their winning-streak to nine games on Wednesday, defeating non-conference opponent Connecticut, 2-0, behind Sara Plourde’s complete game shutout and Stephanie Mayne’s two-run home run.

After struggling in the start the season, UMass (18-14, 9-3 Atlantic 10) is playing up to preseason expectations as of late, thanks in large part to Plourde’s nearly unhittable pitching. Plourde’s complete game shutout over the Huskies (17-20) was her ninth complete game in as many starts, recording an 8-1 record.

Both Plourde and UConn’s starter Ali Adelman looked strong early on, with both holding their opponents scoreless through the first two innings. Adelman worked through a bases-loaded jam in the top of the second, but could not get any run support in the bottom half as Plourde struck out the side.

The Minutewomen broke through in the top of the third, when freshman Lindsey Webster (2-for-2, two walks) led off the inning with a single. After moving to second on a sacrifice bunt, Mayne crushed Adelman’s 0-2 pitch well over the right-center field fence for her fourth home run of the season, putting the Minutewomen up, 2-0.

“I don’t know how many balls she fouled off before she hit that home run,” said UMass coach Elaine Sortino. “When she [finally] got that ball over the plate, [she hit] a monster shot. It would’ve been a double-fencer at the UMass Softball Complex.”

The two runs were all UMass would need, as Plourde cruised to her team-leading 16th victory, giving up three hits and no walks while striking out 13. Although Plourde has looked untouchable recently, Sortino has seen better from her All-American pitcher.

“She’s honestly starting to hit her stride,” said Sortino. “She’s nowhere near where we want her to be yet. She’s getting a little better each day and there’s still room for her to grow.”

Despite all the recent wins, the Minutewomen would like to see their offense get hot. During its current nine-game winning streak, UMass has won five of those games by three runs or less. Although the Minutewomen stranded 10 runners on base against UConn, the opportunities were there and Sortino explained that her offense is starting to come around.

“We created a lot of opportunities that we couldn’t finish,” said Sortino. “We’re starting to have better at bats, and we’re taking pitchers deeper in counts and getting more aggressive. All of those things are starting to show up and this is the time, at the end of the season, where [it’s most important].”

The Minutewomen were the preseason favorites to win the A-10 conference. With its extended surge, UMass currently are tied with Temple (18-18, 9-3 A-10) for the second spot. Fordham (28-16, 11-3 A-10) remains in first.

Sortino attributed her team’s early season struggles to a number of things, including a very difficult non-conference schedule, a young team and a number of injuries. Following the UConn victory, UMass is healthy ­– except for Katie Bettencourt’s injury-related absence – and using its early season struggles to its advantage valuable experience.

“I really thought from the beginning that it was a matter of time,” said Sortino. “I don’t mean to be cliché, but as tough as it was to start, we knew that if we stayed focused on what we needed to do, that we’d be hanging around at the end [of the season].”

The Minutewomen return to action on Thursday when they host Fairfield at 5 p.m. for the first game of a 12-game homestand.

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.