Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Minutewomen control Holy Cross regatta

While the competition may have taken place on the foreign waters of Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass, the Massachusetts women’s rowing team took control of its regatta against Holy Cross on Saturday.

Courtesy UMass Athletics

Courtesy UMass Athletics

Closing out the month of April, the Minutewomen earned the victory in two of the three races held. Even in the loss, in which the team had to change boats due to a winter storm damaging their boats, the Varsity Eight finished 1.1 seconds off of the winning pace.

UMass coach Jim Dietz, when discussing that race, let go of a bit of frustration.

“We should have won that race by twelve seconds,” said Dietz.

But despite the tough loss, he was pleased with the overall performance. When summing it all up, Dietz said that “[it] went pretty well.”

The Novice Eight got things off on the right foot for UMass. In the first event of the day, the Minutewomen crossed the finish line in a time of 7:59.00. The Holy Cross squad came across over 25 seconds later, in 8:25.00.

The Second Varsity Eight kept the momentum going in the next race. The team earned the second victory of the day for UMass, clocking in a time of 7:14.00. It was also the Minutewomen’s second win by a double-digit margin of the competition, as they spread a 19-second margin between them and the Holy Cross boat, which finished in 7:33.00.

However, the Minutewomen couldn’t notch the closest race of the contest. The Crusaders managed to avoid a sweep of the day’s proceedings with a victory, finishing in 7:13.30. The competition came down to the wire though, as the Minutewomen raced in and came across 1.1 seconds behind at 7:14.40.

“We were in line to sweep the regatta, but we had a misfortunate accident in that the varsity boat ran over a submerged object and ripped the bottom out of the boat,” said Dietz. “At the last minute, we had to take that boat out of the water because it couldn’t be rowed.”

With this regatta in the books, the Minutewomen are set to enjoy a two-week break before their next competition. They’ll next take to the water on May 13, the date of the preliminary heats for the Dad Vail Regatta in Philadelphia, Pa.

This competition holds fond memories for the Minutewomen. Last year, they earned a gold medal in the Varsity Eight competition by knocking off second-place Georgia Tech. They also found success in the Pair races, as Kelsey Schacter and Emily Grogan worked together to notch a third-place finish.

However, the more recent past will not be on Dietz’s mind.

“Stuff happens. Sometimes you can’t tell what’s under the water,” said Dietz.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutewomen control Holy Cross regatta”
  1. Jenna Fathers says:

Apparently the Holy Cross 2V ran over the same rock in the water and also had to switch their boat, as well as their stroke seat because they were starboard rigged. Seems you forgot to mention that.