UMass women’s basketball rolls over Fisher College 121-38 in a record setting affair -

Hailey Leidel catches fire, breaks program record for 3-pointer’s in 121-38 victory over Fisher College -

Hockey Notebook: Jake Gaudet beginning to find his rhythm with UMass hockey -

Pipkins’ scoring outburst leads UMass past Providence -

Second half run leads UMass men’s basketball over Providence -

Students vote ‘yes’ for Student Union renovations -

Writer and Black Lives Matter activist Shaun King speaks at Amherst College -

UMass has best defensive performance of year against Holy Cross -

Hampshire College student built a house from scratch for refugees -

Smith College’s Jandon Center reaches out to University of Puerto Rico professors -

Makar, Ferraro pegged to Team Canada’s World Junior Championship selection camp roster -

UMass women’s basketball returns to Mullins after successful Texas road trip -

UMass women’s basketball hopes to keep turning defense into offense -

The GOP tax bill is detrimental to college students -

Does hate have a home at UMass? -

Can students protest on campus? -

‘Cuba and the Cameraman’ is an unprecedented look at Cuba over 50 years through some of its ordinarily special denizens -

‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri’ is one of 2017’s best pictures -

UMass men’s basketball comes away with 64-50 win over Holy Cross -

Minutewomen control Holy Cross regatta

While the competition may have taken place on the foreign waters of Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass, the Massachusetts women’s rowing team took control of its regatta against Holy Cross on Saturday.

Courtesy UMass Athletics

Courtesy UMass Athletics

Closing out the month of April, the Minutewomen earned the victory in two of the three races held. Even in the loss, in which the team had to change boats due to a winter storm damaging their boats, the Varsity Eight finished 1.1 seconds off of the winning pace.

UMass coach Jim Dietz, when discussing that race, let go of a bit of frustration.

“We should have won that race by twelve seconds,” said Dietz.

But despite the tough loss, he was pleased with the overall performance. When summing it all up, Dietz said that “[it] went pretty well.”

The Novice Eight got things off on the right foot for UMass. In the first event of the day, the Minutewomen crossed the finish line in a time of 7:59.00. The Holy Cross squad came across over 25 seconds later, in 8:25.00.

The Second Varsity Eight kept the momentum going in the next race. The team earned the second victory of the day for UMass, clocking in a time of 7:14.00. It was also the Minutewomen’s second win by a double-digit margin of the competition, as they spread a 19-second margin between them and the Holy Cross boat, which finished in 7:33.00.

However, the Minutewomen couldn’t notch the closest race of the contest. The Crusaders managed to avoid a sweep of the day’s proceedings with a victory, finishing in 7:13.30. The competition came down to the wire though, as the Minutewomen raced in and came across 1.1 seconds behind at 7:14.40.

“We were in line to sweep the regatta, but we had a misfortunate accident in that the varsity boat ran over a submerged object and ripped the bottom out of the boat,” said Dietz. “At the last minute, we had to take that boat out of the water because it couldn’t be rowed.”

With this regatta in the books, the Minutewomen are set to enjoy a two-week break before their next competition. They’ll next take to the water on May 13, the date of the preliminary heats for the Dad Vail Regatta in Philadelphia, Pa.

This competition holds fond memories for the Minutewomen. Last year, they earned a gold medal in the Varsity Eight competition by knocking off second-place Georgia Tech. They also found success in the Pair races, as Kelsey Schacter and Emily Grogan worked together to notch a third-place finish.

However, the more recent past will not be on Dietz’s mind.

“Stuff happens. Sometimes you can’t tell what’s under the water,” said Dietz.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutewomen control Holy Cross regatta”
  1. Jenna Fathers says:

Apparently the Holy Cross 2V ran over the same rock in the water and also had to switch their boat, as well as their stroke seat because they were starboard rigged. Seems you forgot to mention that.