Work already underway for SGA speaker Sïonan Barrett -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass in for a challenge against Penn State, QB Hackenberg -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Nostalgia and angst abound in ‘Palo Alto’ -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Want student power? End the SGA -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass football kicking situation still undecided, looking forward to opportunity to play at Beaver Stadium -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lorenzo Woodley finds opportunity after getting lost in the shuffle -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Millennials’ votes can make a difference in all elections -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass faculty member Bonnie Strickland recognized for work in psychology -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass women’s soccer suffers major set back with injury to co-captain Jackie Bruno -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass men’s soccer returns home looking for season’s first win -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass professor Elizabeth Chilton to speak in Madrid and Paris about importance of heritage studies -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass club rugby hopes to continue momentum despite opening loss -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Bizarre foods eaten worldwide -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

US should spend more on space -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Walking through a week of practice with UMass field hockey -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass receives $37.5 million for environmental and sustainability initiatives -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Irish coffee recipe -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

To fight ISIS, US must understand them, not chalk up actions to pure evil -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass tennis is reloading, not rebuilding in 2014 -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Fast food workers need more than $7.25 to sustain basic living -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Minutewomen win behind Plourde and Matthew

Massachusetts softball pitcher Sara Plourde struck out 14 Boston University hitters en route to the 1,000th strikeout of her career and Cyndil Matthew scored the winning run in the bottom of the seventh inning to defeat the Terriers, 3-2, on Wednesday afternoon at the UMass Softball Complex.

With her 11th strikeout that day, Plourde joined the ranks of UMass softball legends Danielle Henderson and Brandice Balschmiter as the third player in history to reach the 1,000 strikeout mark, but became the first to do it prior to her senior year.

“I think it’s outstanding,” UMass head coach Elaine Sortino said. “When you consider that she still has a lot of season left and she’s only a junior, I think it’s an outstanding accomplishment.”

Plourde reached the plateau after playing in only a handful games in her freshman season. Then, at the end of her sophomore year, she sustained a hip injury that affected her playoff status and her start to this season.

“It means everything [to return from injury],” Plourde said. “I would not want to be sitting again like I was last year and that’s kind of what gets me fired up sometimes. I realize that there was a time when I couldn’t pitch, so now, why not give everything I can, when I can?”

The Minutewomen took the lead early thanks to a third inning RBI single by Kyllie Magill that drove in Matthew. In the fifth, shortstop Jordan Storro hit her first career home run, which nearly cleared the second fence beyond the parking lot outside the stadium.

Despite the Maroon and White’s quick start, the intensity was matched by BU, as both teams traded hits and defensive gems throughout the game. BU alone made at least four sprinting catches in the outfield trying to chase down balls rocketing off the bats of the Minutewomen.

“I don’t think [the intensity] has anything to do with last year,” Sortino said. “I think it’s two good programs, and they both have the same destination and the same goals. We respect each other and it’s a good healthy rivalry.”

The Terriers tied the score in the top of the seventh inning on a two-run home run by April Setterlund to force UMass back to the plate. Setterlund took an outside fastball from Plourde and deposited it over the left field wall for her eighth home run of the season.

Matthew led off the seventh inning with a single through the left side. Then BU brought in a new pitcher to face Magill, who promptly reached on an infield hit to second base. With runners on first and third, the Terriers intentionally walked Lindsey Webster to load the bases and bring Audrey Boutin to the plate. Boutin hit a hard ground ball to second base, but Melanie Delgado threw the ball away and allowed Matthew to score the winning run.

Throughout the hard-fought last inning, Sortino never lost confidence in her squad.        

“We just had to keep our poise,” said Sortino. “We were fortunate to have our quickest player as a leadoff batter with nobody out. The key to the whole thing was [Matthew] leading off with that shot. People are starting to see that she’s got power and not just speed. She’s really opening up her game, and she was big for us today going 2-for-3.”   

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutewomen win behind Plourde and Matthew”
  1. scortmadrid says:

Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is important and all. But think of
    if you added some great pictures or video clips to give your
    posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with
    pics and videos, this website could undeniably be one of the most
    beneficial in its niche. Good blog!