UMass women’s basketball defeats Saint Peter’s for third straight win -

Texas, Stanford and Baylor win over weekend

The No. 3 Texas softball team claimed its 42nd victory of the season Tuesday night, defeating UTSA, 2-1, in extra innings at McCombs Field. 

Freshman starter Rachel Fox improved her record to 18-1 and was the Longhorn’s star of the game, pitching eight innings, allowing one run on seven hits while striking out a career-high 13.  

Texas took an early 1-0 lead in the first when Taylor Hoagland reached second base on a fielding error. Hoagland advanced to third when Thom hit a sacrifice bunt and eventually scored when Hooks grounded out to short. 

The Roadrunners tied it in the fifth when Siera Sproul scored on a throwing error from Fox.

Texas scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the eighth, when shortstop Taylor Thom led off with a single. Catcher Amy Hooks followed with another single, and Nadia Taylor laid down a sac-bunt that moved both runners into scoring position. Torie Schmidt had the go-ahead grounder to second base, scoring Thom.

Roadrunners starter Morgan Luksa (3-7) lasted 1.1 innings and was attributed with the loss. The junior yielded one walk, two hits and one run.

Texas will host Oklahoma over the weekend for a two-game series on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon.  

Stanford shuts out UC Davis

The No. 3-ranked Stanford shut out UC Davis, 6-0, on Tuesday afternoon, marking the team’s third victory over the Aggies this season.

Junior Ashley Hansen had the spotlight for the Cardinals, going 4-for-5 at the plate with two RBIs. The shortstop had a single to left field in the first inning that plated Sarah Hassman, giving Stanford its first run. In the top of the third, Hansen hit her seventh home run of the season, a solo home run to right field to make it 2-0.

The Cardinals broke it open in the fifth, scoring three runs on five hits and an error. A single and fielding error scored the first two, before Corey Hanewich’s RBI single gave Stanford a 6-0 advantage.

Cardinals starter Teagen Gerhart (18-8) pitched five scoreless innings before senior Ashley Chinn relieved her with two scoreless innings.

The Cardinals will return to the diamond Friday to host its final Pacific-10 Conference series against the Washington Huskies.  

Baylor defeats Texas State

No. 17 Baylor did not let the inclement weather bring its spirits down as the team overcame a one hour, 16 minute rain delay to defeat Texas State, 4-1, in five innings.

Texas Statetook the lead in the second, when third baseman Jenna Emery walked with two outs. Right fielder Allyce Rother followed with a double to right center, allowing Emery to score. The Bears quickly answered in the bottom of the inning with two runs. Senior Dani Leal was walked and then advanced to second on a wild pitch. Holly Holl followed with a single and later scored off a sacrifice fly from Sydney Wilson. Holl later scored off Sydney Wilson’s pop fly. Leal made it 3-1 in the third with an RBI single and junior Kayce Walker secured Baylor’s 4-1 victory in the fifth with a rare steal at home.

Baylor will return to action on Saturday April 30 to play Iowa State in Game 1 of the two-game series at 2 p.m.

Trevor Bray can be reached at tbray@student.umass.edu.