UMass football fall camp: Kicking competition between Blake Lucas, Mike Caggiano nearing decision -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

Brendan Ryan emerges in pop-rock

Paper Jam 2011

MySpace

MySpace

The beginning of this spring semester brought lots of snow, class cancellations and the emergence of a new pop-rock singer in the University of Massachusetts student community.

That singer is 21-year-old senior communications major Brendan Ryan, who is set to play at The Collegian’s Paper Jam this Saturday.

“Earlier this semester I wanted to finally start getting my songs out there. I had played in bands and been writing songs all throughout college but never released anything official to the public,” he said.

Ryan then entered to perform in the Battle of the Bands and got in, but he needed a band to back him up. The collaboration happened the night before the event to rehearse, but, despite the short amount of time they had together, the came in third place. “Since then we’ve played some other gigs. It’s been great,” said Ryan of his experience so far.

“It was crazy. The first time we played together, it went really well. I love all the guys in the band. They’re some of the most talented guys I’ve ever met,” said bass guitarist Sean Nolan, a senior at the University of Massachusetts.

When advertising the quartet goes by the name “The Brendan Ryan Band.” Aside from Ryan and Nolan, the band is composed of sophomore lead guitarist Jake Goldman, and freshman drummer Matt “Crisco” Criscuolo.

“Formally it is ‘Brendan Ryan’ and these guys back me. But there is so much input from all of them that when we play, it’s weird not to include the full band on the bill. We hadn’t come up with anything official for it so people booking us just started advertising it as ‘The Brendan Ryan Band,’” explained Ryan.

Ryan describes the musical genre of the band as pop-rock, with an emphasis on pop. In February, Ryan released a self-written and self-recorded acoustic EP titled “Something So Amusing.” In the week of its release, the EP had been downloaded over 500 times.

Big-time names have been among those who downloaded “Something So Amusing.” The vice president of Sony Music got a hold of it. “I hope to hit the studio over the summer with a producer to lay down an official full-out EP,” Ryan said.

“Inspiration for my songs come from everywhere. I’m not ashamed to say that a lot of my songs are love songs, and many I think could be considered ‘Anthems for The Shy Guy.’ I try not to limit myself to any topics. It’s really just what’s being thrown at me in my life at the time,” he continued.

“With the band, I love playing my song, ‘My Last Straw.’ I had written it a week before the Battle of the Bands and wasn’t even used to playing it myself. But the band added so much to it. We do a pretty cool version of ‘Rock Your Body’ by Justin Timberlake [where] we feature Maddy Maggio from Kids On A Hill,” said Ryan of the variety the band enjoys experimenting with.

Ryan has big dreams for the future and is determined to make them come true.

“Music is my only plan as of now. I figure this is the age to try to make it. It’s extremely competitive but if I don’t at least try now, I’ll regret it later,” he said.

Ashley Berger can be reached at aberger@student.umass.edu.