UMass men’s basketball shooting woes continue as the Minutemen fall 65-62 to UCF -

Despite poor shooting performance, UMass men’s basketball shows improvement on defensive end -

Notebook: Ty Flowers shines in UMass men’s basketball’s loss to UCF Saturday -

Ray Pigozzi shines in first game back for the UMass hockey team since November 4 -

UMass starts hot, finishes strong in upset win over No. 12 Notre Dame -

SGA vice president will resign at the end of the semester -

Raise the Flag protestors praise -

Dining and Housekeeping employees at Smith College seek new contract -

In response to election, immigration lawyer briefs students on potential changes -

Avinoam Patt discusses the role of displaced Jews in the creation of Israel -

UMass women’s basketball falls to Hartford, snaps three-game winning streak -

Brison Gresham makes long awaited debut for UMass men’s basketball -

UMass hockey hosts No. 12 Notre Dame in Hockey East doubleheader -

UMass men’s basketball picks up fourth straight win as it tops Wagner Wednesday night at Mullins Center -

UMass hockey gets chance to bond during trip to Belfast -

The true backbone of America -

Letter: Craig’s Place to fight against fatal budget cuts -

Enduring the 2016 Tower Run at Du Bois Library -

C.J. Anderson, Malik Hines each have career nights in UMass men’s basketball’s win over Wagner -

Panelists talk about their experiences with incarceration in the Feinberg Lecture Series -

DJ Desert Storm brings the storm to Paper Jam

Paper Jam 2011

Facebook

Hannah Cohen/Collegian via Facebook

Among the talent to be showcased at this weekend’s Paper Jam, DJ Desert Storm may know the most about hard-hitting bass lines.

Desert Storm, known out of the spotlight as Hasan Zaidi, is a budding DJ extraordinaire ready to take off from Amherst for the high skies of the electronic atmosphere.

Desert Storm crafts original mixes by synthesizing catchy samples from well and lesser known artists with explosive bass and drum lines. This is a style known as “dubstep” which has become increasingly popular in the U.S over the past few years. But Desert Storm’s take on dubstep is far from imitative and offers a refreshing taste of the style for partygoers.

He aims to mix electronic music with samples that audience members can recognize. But he is no slave to trends and one hit wonders. Desert Storm’s main focus when he is on top of the crowd is to play music that he thinks “sounds awesome.” His mix tapes include remixes of tracks like “Forever Lost” by Pretty Lights, “Lift Me Up” by Moby and “Bass Head” by Bassnectar. Fellow DJ acts Bassnectar and Pretty Lights are two of Desert Storm’s main influences.

The DJ cites his exposure to Bassnectar as the reason he immersed himself in the reverberating realm of dubstep. He even now works with the AmBASSador Program, which is a group of volunteers (many Bassnectar fans) who work to establish a fun and safe experience for people at electronic dance music events.

Recently, DJ Desert Storm had the opportunity to open up for the latter of the aforementioned influences. His victory at the UMass DJ Wars competition on April 7 granted him the prize of opening up the Spring Concert at the Mullins center where Pretty Lights was the headliner. This summer he has plans to take on similar crowds at clubs in places as far as Montreal and Colorado.

He has an unrelenting passion for providing people with a unique musical experience and it shows when he steps behind his table of electronics. The sounds he creates may be complex and synthesized, but his message is simple and sincere: DJ Desert Storm wants to share music to better the world.

Amy Larson can be reached at alarson@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “DJ Desert Storm brings the storm to Paper Jam”
  1. Ransom says:

that’s my boy!