UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

DJ Desert Storm brings the storm to Paper Jam

Paper Jam 2011

Facebook

Hannah Cohen/Collegian via Facebook

Among the talent to be showcased at this weekend’s Paper Jam, DJ Desert Storm may know the most about hard-hitting bass lines.

Desert Storm, known out of the spotlight as Hasan Zaidi, is a budding DJ extraordinaire ready to take off from Amherst for the high skies of the electronic atmosphere.

Desert Storm crafts original mixes by synthesizing catchy samples from well and lesser known artists with explosive bass and drum lines. This is a style known as “dubstep” which has become increasingly popular in the U.S over the past few years. But Desert Storm’s take on dubstep is far from imitative and offers a refreshing taste of the style for partygoers.

He aims to mix electronic music with samples that audience members can recognize. But he is no slave to trends and one hit wonders. Desert Storm’s main focus when he is on top of the crowd is to play music that he thinks “sounds awesome.” His mix tapes include remixes of tracks like “Forever Lost” by Pretty Lights, “Lift Me Up” by Moby and “Bass Head” by Bassnectar. Fellow DJ acts Bassnectar and Pretty Lights are two of Desert Storm’s main influences.

The DJ cites his exposure to Bassnectar as the reason he immersed himself in the reverberating realm of dubstep. He even now works with the AmBASSador Program, which is a group of volunteers (many Bassnectar fans) who work to establish a fun and safe experience for people at electronic dance music events.

Recently, DJ Desert Storm had the opportunity to open up for the latter of the aforementioned influences. His victory at the UMass DJ Wars competition on April 7 granted him the prize of opening up the Spring Concert at the Mullins center where Pretty Lights was the headliner. This summer he has plans to take on similar crowds at clubs in places as far as Montreal and Colorado.

He has an unrelenting passion for providing people with a unique musical experience and it shows when he steps behind his table of electronics. The sounds he creates may be complex and synthesized, but his message is simple and sincere: DJ Desert Storm wants to share music to better the world.

Amy Larson can be reached at alarson@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “DJ Desert Storm brings the storm to Paper Jam”
  1. Ransom says:

that’s my boy!