Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Minutewomen excel despite injuries, Minutemen gain experience -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

SGA election reforms address some, but not all concerns -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Emily O’Neil hopes to increase diversity and improve Title IX training as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The next journalist under fire -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Letter: A call for action and cooperation -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Student trustee candidate Kabir Thatte looks to create his own path as a UMass legacy student within SGA -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Police Log: Friday, Feb. 27 to Sunday, March 1, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kelly, Gay to focus on transparency, accessibility and sexual assault training -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Easy breathing tricks to de-stress during midterms -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Lack of transparency from Elections Commission endangers spring ballot -

Monday, March 2, 2015

DJ Desert Storm brings the storm to Paper Jam

Paper Jam 2011

Facebook

Hannah Cohen/Collegian via Facebook

Among the talent to be showcased at this weekend’s Paper Jam, DJ Desert Storm may know the most about hard-hitting bass lines.

Desert Storm, known out of the spotlight as Hasan Zaidi, is a budding DJ extraordinaire ready to take off from Amherst for the high skies of the electronic atmosphere.

Desert Storm crafts original mixes by synthesizing catchy samples from well and lesser known artists with explosive bass and drum lines. This is a style known as “dubstep” which has become increasingly popular in the U.S over the past few years. But Desert Storm’s take on dubstep is far from imitative and offers a refreshing taste of the style for partygoers.

He aims to mix electronic music with samples that audience members can recognize. But he is no slave to trends and one hit wonders. Desert Storm’s main focus when he is on top of the crowd is to play music that he thinks “sounds awesome.” His mix tapes include remixes of tracks like “Forever Lost” by Pretty Lights, “Lift Me Up” by Moby and “Bass Head” by Bassnectar. Fellow DJ acts Bassnectar and Pretty Lights are two of Desert Storm’s main influences.

The DJ cites his exposure to Bassnectar as the reason he immersed himself in the reverberating realm of dubstep. He even now works with the AmBASSador Program, which is a group of volunteers (many Bassnectar fans) who work to establish a fun and safe experience for people at electronic dance music events.

Recently, DJ Desert Storm had the opportunity to open up for the latter of the aforementioned influences. His victory at the UMass DJ Wars competition on April 7 granted him the prize of opening up the Spring Concert at the Mullins center where Pretty Lights was the headliner. This summer he has plans to take on similar crowds at clubs in places as far as Montreal and Colorado.

He has an unrelenting passion for providing people with a unique musical experience and it shows when he steps behind his table of electronics. The sounds he creates may be complex and synthesized, but his message is simple and sincere: DJ Desert Storm wants to share music to better the world.

Amy Larson can be reached at alarson@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “DJ Desert Storm brings the storm to Paper Jam”
  1. Ransom says:

that’s my boy!