Suspect in custody after break-ins on Lincoln Avenue -

Thursday, August 28, 2014

UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Cubbies bake bread and jam out

Paper Jam 2011

People have asked me about The Cubbies. They’ve said, “John, aren’t cubbies what kids put their stuff in before kindergarten class? What’s this I hear about a musical band?” It’s at this point that I would take them by the shoulders, sit them down comfortably and proceed to give it to them straight.

Consisting of singer/bassist Jim Cobb, guitarist Neev Blume and dummer Pete Arsenault, the Cubbies are a new school rock band putting a fresh spin on classic tones. In order to properly describe the type of music one can expect to receive at a Cubbies event, it’s going to be necessary to employ an elaborate allegory.

Take some time, shut your eyes, and imagine yourself at the raddest party in existence. However, this is not an ordinary party; there are no people. Rather, the attendants are transcendent beings made up of different aspects of what we know as music. Over by the drinks, two of these spirits are really hitting it off. It’s getting hot quick, and they head upstairs for a little nectar, if you catch my drift. It’s important to realize that at this point in the story, these two beings are representative of Mick Jagger’s attitude and 90s alt-rock, respectively.

The fusion of these essences brings forth a unique amalgam of modern musical qualities that soar back to our dimension and are expressed by the Cubbies. Quite simply, it’s classic rock shuffle with a keen awareness of modern trends.

Recently, the band has been playing shows all around the University of Massachusetts area, including two sets at the Franklin dining commons. Not only do they entertain musically, but they also bring homemade bread to most of their shows and tend to make enough for everyone. It’s really some of the best bread I’ve ever had. It makes sense because they tell me they used to be dads. They have a demo available at soundcloud.com/the-cubbies.

John McLellan can be reached at jedgerly@student.umass.edu.