Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

The Cubbies bake bread and jam out

Paper Jam 2011

People have asked me about The Cubbies. They’ve said, “John, aren’t cubbies what kids put their stuff in before kindergarten class? What’s this I hear about a musical band?” It’s at this point that I would take them by the shoulders, sit them down comfortably and proceed to give it to them straight.

Consisting of singer/bassist Jim Cobb, guitarist Neev Blume and dummer Pete Arsenault, the Cubbies are a new school rock band putting a fresh spin on classic tones. In order to properly describe the type of music one can expect to receive at a Cubbies event, it’s going to be necessary to employ an elaborate allegory.

Take some time, shut your eyes, and imagine yourself at the raddest party in existence. However, this is not an ordinary party; there are no people. Rather, the attendants are transcendent beings made up of different aspects of what we know as music. Over by the drinks, two of these spirits are really hitting it off. It’s getting hot quick, and they head upstairs for a little nectar, if you catch my drift. It’s important to realize that at this point in the story, these two beings are representative of Mick Jagger’s attitude and 90s alt-rock, respectively.

The fusion of these essences brings forth a unique amalgam of modern musical qualities that soar back to our dimension and are expressed by the Cubbies. Quite simply, it’s classic rock shuffle with a keen awareness of modern trends.

Recently, the band has been playing shows all around the University of Massachusetts area, including two sets at the Franklin dining commons. Not only do they entertain musically, but they also bring homemade bread to most of their shows and tend to make enough for everyone. It’s really some of the best bread I’ve ever had. It makes sense because they tell me they used to be dads. They have a demo available at soundcloud.com/the-cubbies.

John McLellan can be reached at jedgerly@student.umass.edu.