UMass professor wins big on ‘Jeopardy!’ -

SGA president selects new vice president -

UMass women’s basketball blows 15 point fourth quarter lead, loses in double overtime to George Washington -

UMass club hockey falls to NYU 3-2 in first game back from vacation -

Cyr: Expectations for UMass men’s basketball remain consistent throughout 2016-17 season -

The death penalty is not the answer -

Donald Trump is gutting journalism with his Twitter -

Winter break’s most overlooked releases -

Hardly anything in ‘Rogue One’ scores a direct hit -

Nineteen turnovers sink UMass men’s basketball in loss to Fordham Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball falls to Fordham behind strong defensive effort by the Rams -

UMass hockey can’t take advantage of strong start in 6-1 loss to Boston College -

High-powered Eagles soar past UMass -

UMass women’s basketball suffers disappointing loss to St. Bonaventure at Mullins Center Thursday -

REPORT: Tom Masella out as defensive coordinator for UMass football -

Zach Lewis, bench carry UMass men’s basketball in win over St. Joe’s -

The Cubbies bake bread and jam out

Paper Jam 2011

People have asked me about The Cubbies. They’ve said, “John, aren’t cubbies what kids put their stuff in before kindergarten class? What’s this I hear about a musical band?” It’s at this point that I would take them by the shoulders, sit them down comfortably and proceed to give it to them straight.

Consisting of singer/bassist Jim Cobb, guitarist Neev Blume and dummer Pete Arsenault, the Cubbies are a new school rock band putting a fresh spin on classic tones. In order to properly describe the type of music one can expect to receive at a Cubbies event, it’s going to be necessary to employ an elaborate allegory.

Take some time, shut your eyes, and imagine yourself at the raddest party in existence. However, this is not an ordinary party; there are no people. Rather, the attendants are transcendent beings made up of different aspects of what we know as music. Over by the drinks, two of these spirits are really hitting it off. It’s getting hot quick, and they head upstairs for a little nectar, if you catch my drift. It’s important to realize that at this point in the story, these two beings are representative of Mick Jagger’s attitude and 90s alt-rock, respectively.

The fusion of these essences brings forth a unique amalgam of modern musical qualities that soar back to our dimension and are expressed by the Cubbies. Quite simply, it’s classic rock shuffle with a keen awareness of modern trends.

Recently, the band has been playing shows all around the University of Massachusetts area, including two sets at the Franklin dining commons. Not only do they entertain musically, but they also bring homemade bread to most of their shows and tend to make enough for everyone. It’s really some of the best bread I’ve ever had. It makes sense because they tell me they used to be dads. They have a demo available at soundcloud.com/the-cubbies.

John McLellan can be reached at jedgerly@student.umass.edu.