Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Cubbies bake bread and jam out

Paper Jam 2011

People have asked me about The Cubbies. They’ve said, “John, aren’t cubbies what kids put their stuff in before kindergarten class? What’s this I hear about a musical band?” It’s at this point that I would take them by the shoulders, sit them down comfortably and proceed to give it to them straight.

Consisting of singer/bassist Jim Cobb, guitarist Neev Blume and dummer Pete Arsenault, the Cubbies are a new school rock band putting a fresh spin on classic tones. In order to properly describe the type of music one can expect to receive at a Cubbies event, it’s going to be necessary to employ an elaborate allegory.

Take some time, shut your eyes, and imagine yourself at the raddest party in existence. However, this is not an ordinary party; there are no people. Rather, the attendants are transcendent beings made up of different aspects of what we know as music. Over by the drinks, two of these spirits are really hitting it off. It’s getting hot quick, and they head upstairs for a little nectar, if you catch my drift. It’s important to realize that at this point in the story, these two beings are representative of Mick Jagger’s attitude and 90s alt-rock, respectively.

The fusion of these essences brings forth a unique amalgam of modern musical qualities that soar back to our dimension and are expressed by the Cubbies. Quite simply, it’s classic rock shuffle with a keen awareness of modern trends.

Recently, the band has been playing shows all around the University of Massachusetts area, including two sets at the Franklin dining commons. Not only do they entertain musically, but they also bring homemade bread to most of their shows and tend to make enough for everyone. It’s really some of the best bread I’ve ever had. It makes sense because they tell me they used to be dads. They have a demo available at soundcloud.com/the-cubbies.

John McLellan can be reached at jedgerly@student.umass.edu.