Baseball Beanpot Championship Highlights -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass students came together to Stand Against Racism -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass baseball gets swept in four-game road trip to Florida Gulf Coast -

Monday, April 27, 2015

of Montreal and Toro y Moi to co-headline Pearl Street this weekend -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass administrators exploit and disrespect graduate students -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Bike Racing Club brings energy and excitement to bike racing -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Sonic Youth’s ‘Bad Moon Rising’ still stands as crucial career turning point -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises past GW on Senior Day -

Monday, April 27, 2015

How to stay sane during the long summer -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass softball drops pair of games against first-place Dayton -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Take Back the Night event raises awareness about sexual violence -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Demetrius Dyson to transfer from UMass basketball -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Delaware 10-9 in regular season finale -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Brett Anton stands tall against UMass men’s lacrosse, Minutemen stumble into playoffs -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises toward regular season A-10 championship with win over Richmond -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass softball hits the road for big test at Dayton -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Long-time campus radio host banned from WMUA, status of station adviser unclear -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Celebrating 125 years of the Daily Collegian -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

SGA expresses support for Survivor’s Bill of Rights -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass blanked by Boston College in Beanpot Championship -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Futurenows to head Paper Jam

MySpace

MySpace

Paper Jam 2011

Folk rock band The Futurenows has been in the works since dorm-room living three years ago. The four-piece ensemble from Amherst combines bass, guitar, drums, banjo, original songwriting and lots of soulful singing. University of Massachusetts seniors Brian Goss, Sean Nolan and John Shaver teamed up with Greenfield resident Tony Interlande to form the locally popular band, which is performing at Maximum Capacity in Chicopee on July 8 and this Saturday, April 30 at The Collegian’s Second Annual Paper Jam.

Originally a trio, Goss, Nolan and Shaver began performing at the Greenough Sub Shop during open mic nights. The group asked Interlande if he wanted to play drums with them, and, from then on, they were a quartet. After playing together for a while, the unnamed, mixed genre group found a name more casually than planned. While hanging out with Goss and Nolan, Shaver accidentally used the nonsensical phrase “future now.” The word-vomit name stuck, and the band has become known as The Futurenows among campus and local communities.

Desiring to stand out among a sea of over-played, flashy guitar solos, The Futurenows base a lot of their music around harmonies and songwriting. Although the members do love good guitarists, they felt the urge to explore other areas of music.

“There’s not really a lot of people who are doing vocally-driven music lately,” said Shaver of their new-age genre. “It’s a little bit more organic, but at the same time still pretty rockin’,” he continued.

Shaver emphasized the importance of having four bandmates that can all sing well.

“We all do three- or four-part harmonies on every song, and it’s something we don’t hear in a lot of music lately,” he said.

The group released their first collection of recordings on July 9, 2010, titled “Handsome Ballads.” Not fully satisfied with their debut release, a full-length album has been in the works for quite some time now. The Futurenows ideally plan to release the album by the end of May.

“The process has been so long and tedious, but awesome at the same time,” said Shaver of the upcoming album.

In the midst of their hectic scramble, the bandmates have still managed to add a brand new member. UMass senior Isaac Wainstein recently hopped on board with The Futurenows, bringing his piano and accordion with him.

“That just added a whole new level to our sound, because there aren’t a ton of bands that have an accordion,” said Shaver.

To hear more from The Futurenows head to the Paper Jam this Saturday or check out their Facebook fan page.

Kate Evans can be reached at kvevans@student.umass.edu.