Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass forward Zach Coleman excels in increased role against Florida State -

Monday, November 24, 2014

SLIDESHOW: Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament -

Monday, November 24, 2014

The Shape ready to open on the scene

Paper Jam 2011

MySpace

MySpace

Having performed at local hotspots such as Pearl Street and the Iron Horse in Northampton, The Shape is partaking in this weekend’s Paper Jam. The three-piece improvisation and jazz band consists of all current and former University of Massachusetts students. Senior Matt Ely plays guitar and is The Shape’s lead vocalist while sophomore Mark Goodwin mans the drums. Bass player Andrew Jaquith  has already graduated, but that hasn’t stopped the band from working on their debut album.

After having only been together for one year, The Shape is releasing a self-titled album by the end of May. They also just hired a booking manager for the summer, and Goodwin hopes to play a few festivals and book a few opening spots. The Shape has already performed locally and at venues in Boston, so Goodwin’s goals shouldn’t be too difficult.

“We’re all in it to win it,” said Goodwin. The percussionist elaborated, “We’re all pretty serious about it, and intend to play in this group for the rest of the future.”

The band’s heavy jazz influence can be attributed to Ely and Goodwin’s majors. Both students are jazz majors and were put in the same jazz combo.

Goodwin summarized the contemporary, noisy rock band as something along the lines of, “Radiohead meets Phish.”

As for the somewhat ambiguous name, The Shape is partially influenced by Talking Heads lyrics about shapes. The other basis for the title stems from the Boston-based jazz group The Fringe. Goodwin used to take lessons with the band and admired their broad name.

“We wanted a name that would be cool and weird, but at the same time a really common word,” reflected Goodwin.“There was no eureka moment; it just kind of happened.”

The Shape can be found online on Facebook, Myspace and as of moments ago, through their official website, Theshapeisreal.com. A recording is available on the website for viewers to check out The Shape’s style.

The improvisation jazz band will be performing from around 3:50 p.m. to almost 5 p.m. at the Paper Jam on Saturday on The Hill.

Kate Evans can be reached at kvevans@student.umass.edu.