UMass hosts William A. Douglass for lecture and chair in Basque cultural studies -

Amherst Select Board discusses imposing fines on those who violate water usage ban -

UMass tennis opens season on high note with performance at Brown Invitational -

UMass women’s soccer using long break to prepare for Atlantic 10 play -

Notebook: Ford ‘takes step forward,’ Williams appears on SportsCenter -

UMass cross country and track and field coach Ken O’Brien hits half century mark with program -

A-10 soccer notebook: Duquesne shuts out Robert Morris 1-0 to win fourth straight -

The blue light situation: When is enough, enough? -

Survivor; awesome yet evil -

A ‘Mirror’ into Clinton’s campaign -

UMass a cappella groups S#arp Attitude and The Hexachord’s on ‘Sing It On’ television series -

‘Through the Photographer’s Eyes’ exhibit highlights photojournalism in today’s media -

Designer collaborations steal the show at New York Fashion Week SS17 -

Massachusetts drought heavily impacts local agriculture -

UMass Soccer earns second win of season in 3-2 victory over Hartford -

‘Morris from America’ explores teen angst and the struggles of growing up -

‘Hell or High Water’ an intense, morally ambiguous modern Western -

Read: You won’t regret it -

UMass field hockey hangs tough, falls to No. 18 Stanford -

Racism in the LGBTQ community -

The Shape ready to open on the scene

Paper Jam 2011

MySpace

MySpace

Having performed at local hotspots such as Pearl Street and the Iron Horse in Northampton, The Shape is partaking in this weekend’s Paper Jam. The three-piece improvisation and jazz band consists of all current and former University of Massachusetts students. Senior Matt Ely plays guitar and is The Shape’s lead vocalist while sophomore Mark Goodwin mans the drums. Bass player Andrew Jaquith  has already graduated, but that hasn’t stopped the band from working on their debut album.

After having only been together for one year, The Shape is releasing a self-titled album by the end of May. They also just hired a booking manager for the summer, and Goodwin hopes to play a few festivals and book a few opening spots. The Shape has already performed locally and at venues in Boston, so Goodwin’s goals shouldn’t be too difficult.

“We’re all in it to win it,” said Goodwin. The percussionist elaborated, “We’re all pretty serious about it, and intend to play in this group for the rest of the future.”

The band’s heavy jazz influence can be attributed to Ely and Goodwin’s majors. Both students are jazz majors and were put in the same jazz combo.

Goodwin summarized the contemporary, noisy rock band as something along the lines of, “Radiohead meets Phish.”

As for the somewhat ambiguous name, The Shape is partially influenced by Talking Heads lyrics about shapes. The other basis for the title stems from the Boston-based jazz group The Fringe. Goodwin used to take lessons with the band and admired their broad name.

“We wanted a name that would be cool and weird, but at the same time a really common word,” reflected Goodwin.“There was no eureka moment; it just kind of happened.”

The Shape can be found online on Facebook, Myspace and as of moments ago, through their official website, Theshapeisreal.com. A recording is available on the website for viewers to check out The Shape’s style.

The improvisation jazz band will be performing from around 3:50 p.m. to almost 5 p.m. at the Paper Jam on Saturday on The Hill.

Kate Evans can be reached at kvevans@student.umass.edu.