Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Minutewomen three-peat as A-10 champs

The No. 14 Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team won its third consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship Sunday in a 16-12 win over Richmond at Temple’s Geasey Field.

Not only did the Minutewomen (16-2, 7-0) complete their sweep of A-10 competition, but they did so in record-breaking fashion.

Junior attack Jesse O’Donnell was named the A-10 Championship’s Most Valuable Player after tying a career-high with five goals to lead the UMass offense, which recorded a tournament-record 32 goals over the two weekend games. 

“Overall, we played great, we scored a lot of goals, we played great defensively and I think going towards next weekend’s play-in game, I think it’s going to give us huge momentum and confidence in our favor,” said UMass coach Angela McMahon.

The Minutewomen move on to host Canisius in the NCAA Tournament play-in game on Saturday at McGuirk Stadium at 1 p.m. The Griffins beat Farifield 13-8 on Sunday to win the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. 

The Minutewomen tied the single-game tournament record for goals scored, both during Sunday’s win and in Friday’s semifinal win over Duquesne, 16-8. 

Junior Jackie Lyons (two goals) and freshman Katie Ferris (three goals), two of the Mintuwomen’s eight point-scorers, both etched their names in the school record-books after Sunday’s win. 

After registering nine points in two games this weekend, Lyons (220 points) broke a 31-year UMass record for career points scored (Cari Nickerson, 219 points, 1977-80).

Additionally, Ferris tied the single-season goal-scoring mark set by Kathleen Typadis in 2007 with 52 goals on the season.

O’Donnell scored four of the first five UMass goals to begin the first half. She had a pair of goals beginning almost three minutes into the first half, coming 14 seconds apart to put the Minutewomen up 2-0.

Richmond notched its initial tally just over two minutes later, before freshman Tanner Guarino (career-high three goals) and O’Donnell put UMass up 4-1 with two more quick scores, this time coming 10 seconds apart. 

“She saw her opening, she took it, she’s confident with the ball and, again, she has amazing speed,” said McMahon. “I think they put a lot of focus on Jackie [Lyons] and Katie [Ferris] behind the net, and doing that really opened up looks for our girls playing up top.”

The Spiders cut the deficit back to one with back-to-back goals by Gabi Wiegand (three goals) to make the score 4-3 with 14:46 to play in the opening frame. 

But the Minutewomen offense found a spark before halftime, scoring six straight goals near the end of the half.

Richmond responded with its own scoring streak of three straight goals, carrying over into the start of the second half. The Minutewomen, undeterred, went on another six-goal tear to earn its biggest advantage at 16-6 with 15:18 to play in the game.

Following the run, however, the UMass defense had a lapse to close out the game, allowing the Spiders to go on a six-goal run of their own. Regardless, the Minutewomen will shift their focus to next weekend’s NCAA play-in game with hopes of earning an automatic berth into the 16-team tournament field.

“The next [goal] is winning next week’s play-in game so that we can be in the NCAA Tournament. That’s what it’s all about,” said McMahon. “Getting into the NCAA [Tournament] is the dream. I think, especially, what you see with March Madness and all the other crazy NCAA tournaments, once you get there, really anything can happen.”

Dan Gigliotti can be reached at dgigliot@student.umass.edu.