Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Slideshow: Students celebrate in Southwest following Osama bin Laden’s death

Students responded to the news of Osama bin Laden’s death with a celebratory mob late Sunday night in Southwest. Photography by Justin Surgent and Maria Uminski.

6 Responses to “Slideshow: Students celebrate in Southwest following Osama bin Laden’s death”
  1. sumner41 says:

lol when these kids are identified by administration they’ll be in a good place

2. Squeegis says:

Why is this footage titled “riot”. All the news stations in Boston talked about the college students “celebrating” not rioting. They showed thousands of students from various colleges in the city converging on Boston Common. Why do the poor UMass students get targeted with “riot”?

3. Dan says:

I agree that it doesn’t really resemble a riot at all. A student mob drunk on nationalism and natty ice may be more appropriate. The pictures are nice to see for those of us who didn’t have the privilege of joining this characteristic Southwest response. I would also say that maybe the photos-paticularly the color ones- should be narrowed down a little bit since there are a lot of the same scene. It takes away from the good ones. Props to Justin Surgent.

4. kevin alves says:

someone is killed on the other side of the earth that these kids probably haven’t payed attention to since 2001 and all of the sudden its a party on Sunday night during finals. the global economy is tanking, your government is run my corporations, the national debt is in the trillions, there are multiple wars being fought, and when you graduate there will be no job for you. hold off on the celebration.

5. student says:

To the person above me, don’t you mean “paid” attention? International Terrorist is dead, a lot of students that attend UMass are from New York, a state directly affected by this man, stop being a debbie downer.

6. SWestie says:

Being a South West kid, (what I’ve heard the rest of the campus calls a SWestie, correct me if I’m wrong), I know that we have the reputation of being the kids that will cause the most ruckus on campus for “any reason or event” and in some cases, like sports occasions and major holidays and such, okay, maybe we cause a bit of an event. But for the school’s news to call this a “riot” well, I personally don’t really know how to take that. As much as part of me wants to follow that up with, “Welcome to the Zoo, Bitches”, I just don’t find that appropriate for this. The older generation spends so much time commenting about how we are not “public enough about our beliefs” and how we need to start “acting out for our country” .. well, no offense to the older generation or anyone that is hating on what we did last night, but I think having a celebration in honor of the killing of a mass-murder terrorist and screaming chants such as “GOD Bless the USA”, “F*CK Bin Laden”, and “Na Na Na Na, GOODBYE” is more than appropriate on our part.