UMass football boasts young, balanced rushing attack going into 2016 season -

UMass football looks to add more size, depth on defensive side heading into 2016 -

UMass football gets back in action with start of training camp -

UMass football coach Mark Whipple announces Ross Comis as starting quarterback, transfer Andrew Ford close behind -

Amherst PD to encourage registering off-campus parties with implementation of Party Smart Registration program -

UMass Board of Trustees votes 11-2 to raise tuition and fees an average of 5.8 percent -

Mike Stone announces retirement following 2017 season -

‘Warcraft’ delivers a likeable mess -

Former UMass field hockey coach Carla Tagliente accepts job at Princeton -

50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

Slideshow: Students celebrate in Southwest following Osama bin Laden’s death

Students responded to the news of Osama bin Laden’s death with a celebratory mob late Sunday night in Southwest. Photography by Justin Surgent and Maria Uminski.

6 Responses to “Slideshow: Students celebrate in Southwest following Osama bin Laden’s death”
  1. sumner41 says:

lol when these kids are identified by administration they’ll be in a good place

2. Squeegis says:

Why is this footage titled “riot”. All the news stations in Boston talked about the college students “celebrating” not rioting. They showed thousands of students from various colleges in the city converging on Boston Common. Why do the poor UMass students get targeted with “riot”?

3. Dan says:

I agree that it doesn’t really resemble a riot at all. A student mob drunk on nationalism and natty ice may be more appropriate. The pictures are nice to see for those of us who didn’t have the privilege of joining this characteristic Southwest response. I would also say that maybe the photos-paticularly the color ones- should be narrowed down a little bit since there are a lot of the same scene. It takes away from the good ones. Props to Justin Surgent.

4. kevin alves says:

someone is killed on the other side of the earth that these kids probably haven’t payed attention to since 2001 and all of the sudden its a party on Sunday night during finals. the global economy is tanking, your government is run my corporations, the national debt is in the trillions, there are multiple wars being fought, and when you graduate there will be no job for you. hold off on the celebration.

5. student says:

To the person above me, don’t you mean “paid” attention? International Terrorist is dead, a lot of students that attend UMass are from New York, a state directly affected by this man, stop being a debbie downer.

6. SWestie says:

Being a South West kid, (what I’ve heard the rest of the campus calls a SWestie, correct me if I’m wrong), I know that we have the reputation of being the kids that will cause the most ruckus on campus for “any reason or event” and in some cases, like sports occasions and major holidays and such, okay, maybe we cause a bit of an event. But for the school’s news to call this a “riot” well, I personally don’t really know how to take that. As much as part of me wants to follow that up with, “Welcome to the Zoo, Bitches”, I just don’t find that appropriate for this. The older generation spends so much time commenting about how we are not “public enough about our beliefs” and how we need to start “acting out for our country” .. well, no offense to the older generation or anyone that is hating on what we did last night, but I think having a celebration in honor of the killing of a mass-murder terrorist and screaming chants such as “GOD Bless the USA”, “F*CK Bin Laden”, and “Na Na Na Na, GOODBYE” is more than appropriate on our part.