Minutemen search for answers following blowout loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

UMass dominated in 85-65 loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Slideshow: Students celebrate in Southwest following Osama bin Laden’s death

Students responded to the news of Osama bin Laden’s death with a celebratory mob late Sunday night in Southwest. Photography by Justin Surgent and Maria Uminski.

6 Responses to “Slideshow: Students celebrate in Southwest following Osama bin Laden’s death”
  1. sumner41 says:

lol when these kids are identified by administration they’ll be in a good place

2. Squeegis says:

Why is this footage titled “riot”. All the news stations in Boston talked about the college students “celebrating” not rioting. They showed thousands of students from various colleges in the city converging on Boston Common. Why do the poor UMass students get targeted with “riot”?

3. Dan says:

I agree that it doesn’t really resemble a riot at all. A student mob drunk on nationalism and natty ice may be more appropriate. The pictures are nice to see for those of us who didn’t have the privilege of joining this characteristic Southwest response. I would also say that maybe the photos-paticularly the color ones- should be narrowed down a little bit since there are a lot of the same scene. It takes away from the good ones. Props to Justin Surgent.

4. kevin alves says:

someone is killed on the other side of the earth that these kids probably haven’t payed attention to since 2001 and all of the sudden its a party on Sunday night during finals. the global economy is tanking, your government is run my corporations, the national debt is in the trillions, there are multiple wars being fought, and when you graduate there will be no job for you. hold off on the celebration.

5. student says:

To the person above me, don’t you mean “paid” attention? International Terrorist is dead, a lot of students that attend UMass are from New York, a state directly affected by this man, stop being a debbie downer.

6. SWestie says:

Being a South West kid, (what I’ve heard the rest of the campus calls a SWestie, correct me if I’m wrong), I know that we have the reputation of being the kids that will cause the most ruckus on campus for “any reason or event” and in some cases, like sports occasions and major holidays and such, okay, maybe we cause a bit of an event. But for the school’s news to call this a “riot” well, I personally don’t really know how to take that. As much as part of me wants to follow that up with, “Welcome to the Zoo, Bitches”, I just don’t find that appropriate for this. The older generation spends so much time commenting about how we are not “public enough about our beliefs” and how we need to start “acting out for our country” .. well, no offense to the older generation or anyone that is hating on what we did last night, but I think having a celebration in honor of the killing of a mass-murder terrorist and screaming chants such as “GOD Bless the USA”, “F*CK Bin Laden”, and “Na Na Na Na, GOODBYE” is more than appropriate on our part.