Indie Rock quartet The Gallery to play at Iron Horse

Myspace

Friday the Iron Horse Music Hall will welcome for the first time a band who originates only miles from the venue – The Gallery.

The group recently sat amongst fifteen other hand-picked musical acts on a ballot for the Rolling Stone “Choose the Cover” competition and is sure to bring their classic Rock ‘n Roll talent that landed them such an opportunity to Northampton this weekend. Opening up the stage for The Gallery will be singer-songwriter and Berklee graduate, Matt Lowell.

After playing several festivals in the past few weeks in Southern Florida, the Wilbraham, Mass. indie rock quartet is heading north for the temperamental skies of the northeast to play Northampton. Though the regions of Southern Florida and Western Mass. have opposing climates, they have been equally fundamental places in the band’s history.

Western Mass. provided the raw beginnings for The Gallery as brothers Ryan (drums) and Brendan (rhythm guitar and vocals) Cooney connected with fellow Wilbraham High schoolers, Shea Brennan (lead guitar) and Dave Mozdzanowski (bass guitar). By the time the four advanced into their twenties, they had relocated to West Palm Beach, Fla. In a new city hugging the Atlantic, they explored a new scene as a serious group while simultaneously working towards degrees at local universities.

The Gallery’s formula for creating tunes has won them fans nationwide. Dozens, of honest lyrics, several 90s band influences, a handful of catchy riffs and a foundation of brotherly love. Vocalist and rhythm guitarist Brendan Cooney often comes up with an idea for a new song, which the elder Cooney and drummer Ryan can then easily jump in on with a percussion bit. But the composition process is “always collaborative,” cites bassist Mozdzanowski. From the lyrics to the structure, their songs are a blend of all four young minds.

To date they have released two professional recordings, both of which have been funded by the dedication of the four band members. “It would be nice to get a record label to support us and pay for our next recording,” lead guitarist Brennan mentions. Their first album, “If You Know What I Mean,” showcased their musical maturity through ten expressive, memorable tracks. Their second release, an EP entitled “Come Alive,” was the successful product of several months spent in L.A with acclaimed alternative producer Warren Huart (The Fray, Augustana).

It was these recordings that grasped the attention of some folks at Atlantic Records who then entered The Gallery into the Rolling Stone competition without the band members’ knowledge. Though the band did not advance past the first round of semifinalists- a round determined solely by fan votes online – they have seen many benefits from participating.

Bassist Mozdzanowski describes the competition as “a great experience,” and because they already had a lot going on at the time with writing new material and such they “didn’t put all of our eggs into that basket.” But their fan population grew in numbers and in distance as they pulled for supporters to vote for them online. And so with increased promotion on the national level The Gallery set their sights on booking more shows while always writing new music.

Since the contest they have already made big stops, touching down in scorching Austin, Texas for the influential indie arts and music exposure festival, South by Southwest. In Austin they exerted all of their physical and musical energy playing five shows in four days and manually transporting their gear around the city. Although this was a “hectic” time it was also “one of the most fun times we’ve had as a band yet,” according to Brennan.

The musicians say they plan to tour the East coast and Midwest following a stop in their native state this month. Given the opportunity though, they would like to check out Seattle, Hawaii and return to Colorado in the future. It’s no coincidence that their dream destinations are among some of the most scenic in the U.S, as the four bandmates share an inclination for the grandness of the outdoors as well as the grandness of a resonating guitar solo.

Tickets for Friday’s show can be found at IHEG.com and are $8 in advance, $10 at the door.

Amy Larson can be reached at [email protected].