UMass forward Zach Coleman excels in increased role against Florida State -

Monday, November 24, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Nov. 17, 2014 -

Monday, November 24, 2014

SLIDESHOW: Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament -

Monday, November 24, 2014

CMASS holds ‘Half Empty or Half Full?: What is Sustainability?’ meeting -

Monday, November 24, 2014

UMass women’s basketball splits weekend series in Hospitality Hill Challenge -

Monday, November 24, 2014

‘Dragon Age: Inquisition’ is epic and moving -

Monday, November 24, 2014

For-profit colleges are driving student debt -

Monday, November 24, 2014

SLIDESHOW: Project X Student Showcase -

Monday, November 24, 2014

The Martha Graham Dance Company gives traditional, yet innovative and strong performance -

Monday, November 24, 2014

UMass international students prepare for Thanksgiving in America -

Monday, November 24, 2014

Lammily doll defies life in plastic, and it’s fantastic? -

Monday, November 24, 2014

Do you have a social allergy? -

Monday, November 24, 2014

UMass basketball outlasts Florida State 75-69 -

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Minutemen ride strong bench play to 75-69 win over Florida state -

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Micheletto apologizes to fans, aims to regroup following 11-1 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Vermont throttles UMass hockey 11-1 -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass guard Trey Davis: ‘There’s a lot coming at me right now’ -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass ‘big four’ neutralized by Notre Dame in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass basketball can’t corral Grant, Irish in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Frustration haunts Minutemen in 5-3 loss to Boston College -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

11 Must-try cooling cocktails

Courtesy of Francesca Yorke

Chill out with this list of cocktails that can cool anyone off at a crowded party. After an hour of dancing and sweating as if they’re on the ‘Edge of Glory,’ your friends will thank you for stealing them away to a tropical paradise with these fruity and relaxing beverages. It wouldn’t be paradise if these drinks didn’t hold the heat; instead they refresh with every slow and icy sip.

1. Pomegranate Daiquiri

A twist on a classic – the pomegranate in this tasty concoction pops for a full burst of flavor. Mix three and a half cups of pomegranate juice with one-half cup of light rum. Add one cup of Crème de cassis or cranberry liqueur and one-third cup lime juice. Refrigerate for at least four hours. After the mixture marinates, blend into a slush and find a pretty-looking glass with you on your way to kick back on the porch.

2. Strawberry Punch

Pucker up – this lip-smacking fruit drink makes you smirk on the outside and smile on the inside with its mildly sour fruit combo and smooth white rum. Mash together three strawberries and some sliced pineapple. Add one-half ounce pineapple juice, one-quarter ounce lime juice, and one-quarter ounce simple syrup with two ounces of white rum. Pour over ice to keep cool and enjoy.

3. Electrifying Berry Mojito

Try a new spin on everyone’s minty friend, Mr. Mojito. Crush five mint leaves in a pint glass. Add one-teaspoon sugar and the juice from four squeezed lime wedges. Add two ounces of Bacardi Razz rum, one-quarter ounce Chambord liqueur, and one-quarter ounce Blue Curacao liqueur. Shake, top with club soda, and enjoy this neon-colored drink!

4. Monkey-lada

Love Piña Coladas but still trying to maintain that fought-for beach-ready body before winter’s sweaters can hide extra pug? This is slightly healthier version of the tropic’s trademark drink. Puree two bananas, one cup of diced pineapple, pineapple juice, coconut milk and ice. Stir in six ounces of light rum. Start monkeying around – you’ll love it.
5. Tomato Jalapeño Bloody Mary

Bored and hungover? This is the drink that will get you moving in real-time again after a tough night. Puree tomatoes with lemon juice, jalapenos, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, celery, salt and pepper. Stir in vodka and refrigerate for a few hours. Another healthy choice; garnish with celery and serve.

6. Simple Sangria

A summertime staple for those of you trying to hang onto the warm season’s final days. Mix one bottle of red wine, one and a half cups of orange juice, one-third cup brandy, and one-third cup sugar. Add in two sliced nectarines, one sliced lemon, one sliced cucumber and refrigerate for at least three hours. Stir in three cups of club soda and ice before serving.

7. Watermelon Martini

Watermelon is an easily recognizable flavor and pairs nicely with vodka in this martini. Over ice, mix three ounces of Ketel One Citroen vodka, one ounce of Watermelon Pucker schnapps and one-half ounce of Cointreau liqueur. Add in a splash of lemonade and a splash of 7-Up soda for taste. Garnish with a watermelon for a truly authentic look.

8. Peach Wine Cooler

For those who prefer sweet over sour, test out this sugary and juicy cooler. Combine three cups of seltzer with one cup of peach juice. Stir in two tablespoons of honey and add in one cup of dry white wine.

9. Island Limeade

For those who didn’t make it to the islands this summer, this drink will certainly feel like you did. Stir one-third cup sugar into three cups of boiling water, and then chill. Add one and one-quarter cups limeade. Pour mixture into pint glasses and then add rum to taste.

10. Iced Mint Green Tea

Try an alcoholic twist on a healthy drink. Take one-half cup of mint leaves, three green tea bags and two tablespoons of honey and pour it into four cups of boiling water. Refrigerate and once chilled, divide the mixture into four glasses and add one-half cup sake to each glass.

11. Mint Margaritas

End your summer with this fantastic margarita. Crush together one-half cup chopped mint leaves and a bit of kosher salt. Add four cups of crushed ice. Mix one and a half cups of tequila, one cup of lime juice, and one cup of triple sec.

Ashley Berger can be reached at aberger@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “11 Must-try cooling cocktails”
  1. Stephanie says:

The watermelon martini made with real watermelon juice would be even better!