Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

11 Must-try cooling cocktails

Courtesy of Francesca Yorke

Chill out with this list of cocktails that can cool anyone off at a crowded party. After an hour of dancing and sweating as if they’re on the ‘Edge of Glory,’ your friends will thank you for stealing them away to a tropical paradise with these fruity and relaxing beverages. It wouldn’t be paradise if these drinks didn’t hold the heat; instead they refresh with every slow and icy sip.

1. Pomegranate Daiquiri

A twist on a classic – the pomegranate in this tasty concoction pops for a full burst of flavor. Mix three and a half cups of pomegranate juice with one-half cup of light rum. Add one cup of Crème de cassis or cranberry liqueur and one-third cup lime juice. Refrigerate for at least four hours. After the mixture marinates, blend into a slush and find a pretty-looking glass with you on your way to kick back on the porch.

2. Strawberry Punch

Pucker up – this lip-smacking fruit drink makes you smirk on the outside and smile on the inside with its mildly sour fruit combo and smooth white rum. Mash together three strawberries and some sliced pineapple. Add one-half ounce pineapple juice, one-quarter ounce lime juice, and one-quarter ounce simple syrup with two ounces of white rum. Pour over ice to keep cool and enjoy.

3. Electrifying Berry Mojito

Try a new spin on everyone’s minty friend, Mr. Mojito. Crush five mint leaves in a pint glass. Add one-teaspoon sugar and the juice from four squeezed lime wedges. Add two ounces of Bacardi Razz rum, one-quarter ounce Chambord liqueur, and one-quarter ounce Blue Curacao liqueur. Shake, top with club soda, and enjoy this neon-colored drink!

4. Monkey-lada

Love Piña Coladas but still trying to maintain that fought-for beach-ready body before winter’s sweaters can hide extra pug? This is slightly healthier version of the tropic’s trademark drink. Puree two bananas, one cup of diced pineapple, pineapple juice, coconut milk and ice. Stir in six ounces of light rum. Start monkeying around – you’ll love it.
5. Tomato Jalapeño Bloody Mary

Bored and hungover? This is the drink that will get you moving in real-time again after a tough night. Puree tomatoes with lemon juice, jalapenos, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, celery, salt and pepper. Stir in vodka and refrigerate for a few hours. Another healthy choice; garnish with celery and serve.

6. Simple Sangria

A summertime staple for those of you trying to hang onto the warm season’s final days. Mix one bottle of red wine, one and a half cups of orange juice, one-third cup brandy, and one-third cup sugar. Add in two sliced nectarines, one sliced lemon, one sliced cucumber and refrigerate for at least three hours. Stir in three cups of club soda and ice before serving.

7. Watermelon Martini

Watermelon is an easily recognizable flavor and pairs nicely with vodka in this martini. Over ice, mix three ounces of Ketel One Citroen vodka, one ounce of Watermelon Pucker schnapps and one-half ounce of Cointreau liqueur. Add in a splash of lemonade and a splash of 7-Up soda for taste. Garnish with a watermelon for a truly authentic look.

8. Peach Wine Cooler

For those who prefer sweet over sour, test out this sugary and juicy cooler. Combine three cups of seltzer with one cup of peach juice. Stir in two tablespoons of honey and add in one cup of dry white wine.

9. Island Limeade

For those who didn’t make it to the islands this summer, this drink will certainly feel like you did. Stir one-third cup sugar into three cups of boiling water, and then chill. Add one and one-quarter cups limeade. Pour mixture into pint glasses and then add rum to taste.

10. Iced Mint Green Tea

Try an alcoholic twist on a healthy drink. Take one-half cup of mint leaves, three green tea bags and two tablespoons of honey and pour it into four cups of boiling water. Refrigerate and once chilled, divide the mixture into four glasses and add one-half cup sake to each glass.

11. Mint Margaritas

End your summer with this fantastic margarita. Crush together one-half cup chopped mint leaves and a bit of kosher salt. Add four cups of crushed ice. Mix one and a half cups of tequila, one cup of lime juice, and one cup of triple sec.

Ashley Berger can be reached at aberger@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “11 Must-try cooling cocktails”
  1. Stephanie says:

The watermelon martini made with real watermelon juice would be even better!