Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

At the end of your rope? Write about it. -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass men’s soccer heads down to Carolina for a weekend pair of games -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Holub to step down as UMass chancellor by next summer

Editor’s note: This story was originally published June 30.

Robert Holub, the chancellor of the University of Massachusetts who had reportedly faced mounting criticism by some charged with evaluating his performance, will step down from his post by July of 2012, University officials announced Thursday.

Holub, who took the helm of the Commonwealth’s flagship school in 2008, will exit by July 31, 2012 or even earlier if the University finds a suitable replacement, a press release issued by UMass President Jack Wilson’s office Thursday afternoon stated.

“I look forward to leading this great institution on its current trajectory of success for another year,” Holub was quoted as saying in the release. “At the conclusion of what will be my fourth year as Chancellor, I am confident that I will leave UMass Amherst in a stronger position to build upon the many outstanding achievements of the campus during my tenure.”

The announcement of Holub’s departure came on Wilson’s last day as president of the University system which he has been the head of since 2003. Robert Caret will be charged with leading the five-campus UMass system beginning July 1.

“Bob Holub has worked hard to advance the Amherst campus during his years as Chancellor,” Wilson said in the release. “His accomplishments are well known and deserve our respect and admiration. He is a distinguished scholar and is strong advocate for access and for excellence in higher education.”

In May, reports had surfaced in the Boston Globe that a committee charged with evaluating the performance of Holub had recommended that his contract, which had been set to expire on July 31 0f this year, not be renewed. The Globe said that the evaluators had been critical of his leadership style, particularly a failed plan to study the prospect of opening a medical school in Springfield.

Holub, who is a German scholar, had previously held administrative posts at the University of Tennessee Knoxville and the University of California Berkeley.

A search will begin to find Holub’s replacement this September, the release stated.

Stay with DailyCollegian.com for continuing updates on this story.

-Collegian News Staff

4 Responses to “Robert Holub to step down as UMass chancellor by next summer”
  1. Matt says:

This is terrible news for UMass. Chancellor Holub was one of the best things to happen here in some time. He had us on the right track from academics to athletics and led UMass to be mentioned with not just the best American universities, but with the best universities in the world. It’s time for these politicians in Boston to stop screwing with UMass. Thank you and we will miss you Chancellor Holub.

-A Current Student

2. Dave says:

I am disappointed to see a man so genuinely in love with campus leave, we wish you the best of luck Mr. Holub and thank you for your service!

3. Tiefu says:

Chancellor Holub has routinely sent inspiring/encouraging notes to campus community. In the history of UMass-Amherst, no leader has done this before since internet was available. This is one of his competitive edges to qualify him as a great leader.

4. Chancellor Holub will surely be missed by the entire UMass-Amherst community. I hope that they find a suitable replacement.