UMass Divest and proponents of sanctuary campus will not be allowed to speak at Board of Trustees meeting -

Former political prisoner to speak on human rights and prison experience -

UMass men’s basketball using late-game situations as learning opportunities for remainder of season -

UMass men’s basketball kicks off Gotham Classic at home against Pacific -

UMass hockey looks to continue recent improvements against Connecticut -

UMass hockey team confident in game plan despite UConn’s constant change in net -

UMass women’s basketball falls apart in the fourth quarter in 71-55 loss to Hofstra -

It’s been a long year -

A return to the collapse of 2008 -

Mindfulness in, and in spite of, a technological age -

Beer, bets and pool: a High Horse unofficial review -

Don’t let winter stop you from running outside -

BREAKING: Train allegedly strikes pedestrian in Amherst -

Campus Climate survey shows strong response -

Jennifer Carlson gives talk on race and gun law enforcement -

Labor Center to receive increased funding from University -

Verdi enforces playing a full 40 minutes as UMass takes on Hofstra -

Mulligan looks to continue seven game double-double streak at Hofstra -

Jesus: the conservative Republican -

The joy of Snapchat -

Robert Holub to step down as UMass chancellor by next summer

Editor’s note: This story was originally published June 30.

Robert Holub, the chancellor of the University of Massachusetts who had reportedly faced mounting criticism by some charged with evaluating his performance, will step down from his post by July of 2012, University officials announced Thursday.

Holub, who took the helm of the Commonwealth’s flagship school in 2008, will exit by July 31, 2012 or even earlier if the University finds a suitable replacement, a press release issued by UMass President Jack Wilson’s office Thursday afternoon stated.

“I look forward to leading this great institution on its current trajectory of success for another year,” Holub was quoted as saying in the release. “At the conclusion of what will be my fourth year as Chancellor, I am confident that I will leave UMass Amherst in a stronger position to build upon the many outstanding achievements of the campus during my tenure.”

The announcement of Holub’s departure came on Wilson’s last day as president of the University system which he has been the head of since 2003. Robert Caret will be charged with leading the five-campus UMass system beginning July 1.

“Bob Holub has worked hard to advance the Amherst campus during his years as Chancellor,” Wilson said in the release. “His accomplishments are well known and deserve our respect and admiration. He is a distinguished scholar and is strong advocate for access and for excellence in higher education.”

In May, reports had surfaced in the Boston Globe that a committee charged with evaluating the performance of Holub had recommended that his contract, which had been set to expire on July 31 0f this year, not be renewed. The Globe said that the evaluators had been critical of his leadership style, particularly a failed plan to study the prospect of opening a medical school in Springfield.

Holub, who is a German scholar, had previously held administrative posts at the University of Tennessee Knoxville and the University of California Berkeley.

A search will begin to find Holub’s replacement this September, the release stated.

Stay with DailyCollegian.com for continuing updates on this story.

-Collegian News Staff

4 Responses to “Robert Holub to step down as UMass chancellor by next summer”
  1. Matt says:

This is terrible news for UMass. Chancellor Holub was one of the best things to happen here in some time. He had us on the right track from academics to athletics and led UMass to be mentioned with not just the best American universities, but with the best universities in the world. It’s time for these politicians in Boston to stop screwing with UMass. Thank you and we will miss you Chancellor Holub.

-A Current Student

2. Dave says:

I am disappointed to see a man so genuinely in love with campus leave, we wish you the best of luck Mr. Holub and thank you for your service!

3. Tiefu says:

Chancellor Holub has routinely sent inspiring/encouraging notes to campus community. In the history of UMass-Amherst, no leader has done this before since internet was available. This is one of his competitive edges to qualify him as a great leader.

4. Chancellor Holub will surely be missed by the entire UMass-Amherst community. I hope that they find a suitable replacement.