BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass women’s basketball handles American, 71-61 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass basketball downed by Florida Gulf Coast 84-75 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Robert Holub to step down as UMass chancellor by next summer

Editor’s note: This story was originally published June 30.

Robert Holub, the chancellor of the University of Massachusetts who had reportedly faced mounting criticism by some charged with evaluating his performance, will step down from his post by July of 2012, University officials announced Thursday.

Holub, who took the helm of the Commonwealth’s flagship school in 2008, will exit by July 31, 2012 or even earlier if the University finds a suitable replacement, a press release issued by UMass President Jack Wilson’s office Thursday afternoon stated.

“I look forward to leading this great institution on its current trajectory of success for another year,” Holub was quoted as saying in the release. “At the conclusion of what will be my fourth year as Chancellor, I am confident that I will leave UMass Amherst in a stronger position to build upon the many outstanding achievements of the campus during my tenure.”

The announcement of Holub’s departure came on Wilson’s last day as president of the University system which he has been the head of since 2003. Robert Caret will be charged with leading the five-campus UMass system beginning July 1.

“Bob Holub has worked hard to advance the Amherst campus during his years as Chancellor,” Wilson said in the release. “His accomplishments are well known and deserve our respect and admiration. He is a distinguished scholar and is strong advocate for access and for excellence in higher education.”

In May, reports had surfaced in the Boston Globe that a committee charged with evaluating the performance of Holub had recommended that his contract, which had been set to expire on July 31 0f this year, not be renewed. The Globe said that the evaluators had been critical of his leadership style, particularly a failed plan to study the prospect of opening a medical school in Springfield.

Holub, who is a German scholar, had previously held administrative posts at the University of Tennessee Knoxville and the University of California Berkeley.

A search will begin to find Holub’s replacement this September, the release stated.

Stay with DailyCollegian.com for continuing updates on this story.

-Collegian News Staff

4 Responses to “Robert Holub to step down as UMass chancellor by next summer”
  1. Matt says:

This is terrible news for UMass. Chancellor Holub was one of the best things to happen here in some time. He had us on the right track from academics to athletics and led UMass to be mentioned with not just the best American universities, but with the best universities in the world. It’s time for these politicians in Boston to stop screwing with UMass. Thank you and we will miss you Chancellor Holub.

-A Current Student

2. Dave says:

I am disappointed to see a man so genuinely in love with campus leave, we wish you the best of luck Mr. Holub and thank you for your service!

3. Tiefu says:

Chancellor Holub has routinely sent inspiring/encouraging notes to campus community. In the history of UMass-Amherst, no leader has done this before since internet was available. This is one of his competitive edges to qualify him as a great leader.

4. Chancellor Holub will surely be missed by the entire UMass-Amherst community. I hope that they find a suitable replacement.