Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Robert Holub to step down as UMass chancellor by next summer

Editor’s note: This story was originally published June 30.

Robert Holub, the chancellor of the University of Massachusetts who had reportedly faced mounting criticism by some charged with evaluating his performance, will step down from his post by July of 2012, University officials announced Thursday.

Holub, who took the helm of the Commonwealth’s flagship school in 2008, will exit by July 31, 2012 or even earlier if the University finds a suitable replacement, a press release issued by UMass President Jack Wilson’s office Thursday afternoon stated.

“I look forward to leading this great institution on its current trajectory of success for another year,” Holub was quoted as saying in the release. “At the conclusion of what will be my fourth year as Chancellor, I am confident that I will leave UMass Amherst in a stronger position to build upon the many outstanding achievements of the campus during my tenure.”

The announcement of Holub’s departure came on Wilson’s last day as president of the University system which he has been the head of since 2003. Robert Caret will be charged with leading the five-campus UMass system beginning July 1.

“Bob Holub has worked hard to advance the Amherst campus during his years as Chancellor,” Wilson said in the release. “His accomplishments are well known and deserve our respect and admiration. He is a distinguished scholar and is strong advocate for access and for excellence in higher education.”

In May, reports had surfaced in the Boston Globe that a committee charged with evaluating the performance of Holub had recommended that his contract, which had been set to expire on July 31 0f this year, not be renewed. The Globe said that the evaluators had been critical of his leadership style, particularly a failed plan to study the prospect of opening a medical school in Springfield.

Holub, who is a German scholar, had previously held administrative posts at the University of Tennessee Knoxville and the University of California Berkeley.

A search will begin to find Holub’s replacement this September, the release stated.

Stay with DailyCollegian.com for continuing updates on this story.

-Collegian News Staff

4 Responses to “Robert Holub to step down as UMass chancellor by next summer”
  1. Matt says:

This is terrible news for UMass. Chancellor Holub was one of the best things to happen here in some time. He had us on the right track from academics to athletics and led UMass to be mentioned with not just the best American universities, but with the best universities in the world. It’s time for these politicians in Boston to stop screwing with UMass. Thank you and we will miss you Chancellor Holub.

-A Current Student

2. Dave says:

I am disappointed to see a man so genuinely in love with campus leave, we wish you the best of luck Mr. Holub and thank you for your service!

3. Tiefu says:

Chancellor Holub has routinely sent inspiring/encouraging notes to campus community. In the history of UMass-Amherst, no leader has done this before since internet was available. This is one of his competitive edges to qualify him as a great leader.

4. Chancellor Holub will surely be missed by the entire UMass-Amherst community. I hope that they find a suitable replacement.

You must be logged in to post a comment.