Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Robert Holub to step down as UMass chancellor by next summer

Editor’s note: This story was originally published June 30.

Robert Holub, the chancellor of the University of Massachusetts who had reportedly faced mounting criticism by some charged with evaluating his performance, will step down from his post by July of 2012, University officials announced Thursday.

Holub, who took the helm of the Commonwealth’s flagship school in 2008, will exit by July 31, 2012 or even earlier if the University finds a suitable replacement, a press release issued by UMass President Jack Wilson’s office Thursday afternoon stated.

“I look forward to leading this great institution on its current trajectory of success for another year,” Holub was quoted as saying in the release. “At the conclusion of what will be my fourth year as Chancellor, I am confident that I will leave UMass Amherst in a stronger position to build upon the many outstanding achievements of the campus during my tenure.”

The announcement of Holub’s departure came on Wilson’s last day as president of the University system which he has been the head of since 2003. Robert Caret will be charged with leading the five-campus UMass system beginning July 1.

“Bob Holub has worked hard to advance the Amherst campus during his years as Chancellor,” Wilson said in the release. “His accomplishments are well known and deserve our respect and admiration. He is a distinguished scholar and is strong advocate for access and for excellence in higher education.”

In May, reports had surfaced in the Boston Globe that a committee charged with evaluating the performance of Holub had recommended that his contract, which had been set to expire on July 31 0f this year, not be renewed. The Globe said that the evaluators had been critical of his leadership style, particularly a failed plan to study the prospect of opening a medical school in Springfield.

Holub, who is a German scholar, had previously held administrative posts at the University of Tennessee Knoxville and the University of California Berkeley.

A search will begin to find Holub’s replacement this September, the release stated.

Stay with DailyCollegian.com for continuing updates on this story.

-Collegian News Staff

4 Responses to “Robert Holub to step down as UMass chancellor by next summer”
  1. Matt says:

This is terrible news for UMass. Chancellor Holub was one of the best things to happen here in some time. He had us on the right track from academics to athletics and led UMass to be mentioned with not just the best American universities, but with the best universities in the world. It’s time for these politicians in Boston to stop screwing with UMass. Thank you and we will miss you Chancellor Holub.

-A Current Student

2. Dave says:

I am disappointed to see a man so genuinely in love with campus leave, we wish you the best of luck Mr. Holub and thank you for your service!

3. Tiefu says:

Chancellor Holub has routinely sent inspiring/encouraging notes to campus community. In the history of UMass-Amherst, no leader has done this before since internet was available. This is one of his competitive edges to qualify him as a great leader.

4. Chancellor Holub will surely be missed by the entire UMass-Amherst community. I hope that they find a suitable replacement.

You must be logged in to post a comment.