Panel reflecting on Sept. 11 to be held today in Campus Center

Courtesy UMass Journalism Professor's Blog
A panel composed of members of the University of Massachusetts faculty and members of the media will examine how the American and world landscape has changed since the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks in a discussion this afternoon.

The panel discussion, called “After the Towers Fell: A September 11th Retrospective,” will feature professors from the economics, political science and psychology departments at UMass, as well as the editor for digital news at NPR.

“As we went about putting together this panel, we wanted to approach it from a multi-layered perspective, examining how life has changed in the U.S. and in the world,” said Steve Fox, a senior lecturer in the UMass journalism program and the moderator of the discussion, in an email to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian. “Hopefully this approach will prompt an interesting discussion.”

Those slated to join Fox in the discussion, according to a post on the UMass Journalism Professor’s Blog, include MJ Peterson, a professor of political science; David Kotz, a professor of economics; Linda Tropp, a professor of psychology; and Mark Stencel, the managing editor for digital news at NPR.

Stencel, who oversees the content on the radio network’s website, worked as an editor for The Washington Post’s website – where Fox has also worked – when the attacks occurred.

“At the time [of the attacks], our interactive online channels were still relatively new,” Stencel was quoted as saying in the blog post. “For many of us, these channels for the first time provided global reach around the clock – including a new workday news audience – as well as nearly unlimited potential to dabble in new formats.”

Topics discussed at the event, according to the blog post, include an examination of economic effects that have occurred in the 10 years since the attack and a look at the Bush administration’s response to the attacks.

The discussion is set to begin at 4 p.m. today in the Campus Center Reading Room.

– Collegian News Staff