Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Defense secures 3 points against No. 20 Terriers

On Sunday afternoon at Rudd Field, the Massachusetts women’s soccer team’s game against No. 20 Boston University wasn’t exactly an offensive showcase by the Minutewomen. After all, they had three shots to combat the Terrier’s 22.

Instead, UMass relied on its defense to assist them in securing a big win in this already budding season.

The Minutewomen have built a strong defense from all areas of the pitch, which allowed them to build a solid 3-2-1 record that includes the victory against the Terriers. The win is the team’s first against a ranked opponent since it defeated No. 15 Connecticut in 2006.

UMass has scored two goals twice this season, which has forced them into playing a more protective role in the final third of the pitch. Against BU on Sunday, all the players on the pitch utilized their defensive efforts to hold off a side that was undefeated prior to this weekend.

“Our team defense as a group is very good,” UMass coach Ed Matz said. “Our defense is good, but when everybody plays defense the whole game, we are a very strong team.”

This season, opposing teams have fired 86 shots (40 shots on goal) against the Maroon and White, with eight of the shots converting to goals.

With the exception of the club’s 4-1 loss to Bryant, UMass has kept opponents from scoring more than two goals in a game this season, and has even earned a pair of shutouts.

Still, teams have been able to bypass the rock-hard defense and attack the goal. The final savior for the defense has been junior goalkeeper Stephanie Gordon.

From the start of the season, Gordon has already notched a couple of high points for her collegiate career. With a 2-1-1 record, she has an average of 1.42 goals against and a.739 save percentage.

Junior goalkeeper Emily Cota, who started her first two games of the year this weekend in Gordon’s absence, is 1-1 with a 1.00 GAA and a .875 save percentage, and has proven herself more than capable of filling in whenever needed. Cota started in 13 games last season before surrendering the spot to Gordon.

As the season moves closer towards conference play, Matz is fully aware that, though his team is capable of defending itself against any opponent on the schedule, it must also continue to learn and grow every step of the way.

“We try to learn something from every single one of our games,” said Matz. “We learned that if we play well as a team and work hard on defense, we can play against anybody that steps on the field.”

David Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu.