Peterson leads Richmond to victories

After the Richmond field hockey team was unable to claim victory against No. 6 Ohio State back on Sept. 3 in a 2-1 nail biter, the Spiders came back strong over the weekend.

Richmond won 3-2 against No. 13 Princeton on the road Sunday.

Spiders goalkeeper Anna Zarkoski racked up 10 saves in the win, holding the Tigers scoreless on 13 penalty corners.

Chelsea Davies scored her second goal of the season 16 minutes, 50 seconds into the game when she netted a backhanded shot off an assist from Rebecca Barry, giving Richmond a 1-0 lead.

After the Spiders surrendered a goal shortly thereafter, they scored right before the second half to take a 2-1 lead. Richmond scored again in the second half to make it 3-1, a lead which would not be overcome as the Spiders held on for the win.

On Friday, the Spiders went on the road to take on city-rival Virginia Commonwealth, walking away with a victory in a hard-fought 2-1 effort.

Senior Katelin Peterson racked up a goal and an assist in the effort, giving her a team-high six points so far this season. Peterson’s performance on Sunday moved her into eighth all-time in the program’s history with 82 points.

Explorers surprise

La Salle was predicted to finish fifth this year in the Atlantic 10, according to the coach’s preseason poll.

After this weekend’s play in which the Explorers split games on both Saturday and Sunday, La Salle may be on the verge of creating noise come conference play.

Despite a 4-3 loss in overtime on the road against Lehigh on Sunday, the Explorers clicked on all cylinders early on, taking a 2-0 lead after just 12 minutes of play.

Olivia Shoemaker gave La Salle a 1-0 lead in the seventh minute, receiving a pass from Janel Paukovits and putting a shot home for the score. Just five minutes later, Lindsay Fry put a shot on a net during a penalty corner. The ball deflected off of Haley Jennings stick and into the net to give the Explorers a 2-0 lead.

The lead would evaporate when the Mountain Hawks responded with two goals to tie the game, 2-2, before the end of the first half.

After La Salle took the lead in the 52nd minute, Lehigh answered four minutes later with a goal by Kimberly Eng to tie the game.

Just 2:20 into extra time, Abby Tilton found the back of the net to give Lehigh the come-from-behind victory and its first win of the season.

On Saturday, the Explorers scored six goals in a rout over Siena at home.

Junior Neelam Kumar and Mariel Papa each scored a pair in the win, giving the Explorers their second win of the year.

Settles, Tettlebach receive A-10 honors

Temple’s Bridget Settles notched her second hat trick of the season and was voted the A-10 Player of the Week on Monday for her performances over Kent State and Lafayette.

Settles, a 2010 First Team All-Conference honoree, has eight of the Owls twelve goals so far for this season, including an assist for 17 points.

After scoring three goals and notching an assist for seven points over three contests last week, La Salle’s Maddy Tettelbach received her second straight A-10 Rookie of the Week honor Monday.

The freshman leads the Explorers this season with six goals and has now scored in three straight games.

Scott Cournoyer can be reached at [email protected].