The great debate: backpack or purse?

Courtesy of Mobile Edge Laptop Cases
Many University of Massachusetts students will take an average of 15-18 credits per semester, walk more than a few miles around campus each day, join extra-curricular activities and go out with friends on the weekends. This weekly routine often requires something to tote belongings around campus. This leads to the ultimate question students must face – backpack or handbag?

Academics are the main reason for attending college, which means students will be purchasing books, folders, electronics, pens and pencils in order to be prepared. A backpack is the most practical for these items because of its durability.

The North Face Borealis backpack has two large zip-pockets that include features such as a padded laptop pocket, two water bottle pouches and several smaller compartments for miscellaneous items. Compared to a designer Longchamp Paris Le Pliage tote bag, which is approximately the same size as the Borealis, the tote bag has only one large zipper compartment and one small zipper pouch on the inside.

Even if every book, folder, pen and water bottle fit in the handbag, there would still be a problem. Aside from not being able to find something like a phone or wallet that has fallen to the bottom and gotten buried by textbooks, the overfilled tote bag will slowly but surely become damaged if used to carry heavy items regularly.

Despite a backpack’s contents, the weight inside will be equally balanced and supported over both shoulders. Carrying a backpack reduces spinal stress and keeps hands free. Carrying around the heavy, one-shoulder purse may have an adverse physical effect. The stress building up in one side of the body can shift one or more of the thirty-three discs stacked together in the spine, causing neck strains and upper or lower back pain.

Along with efficiency, a backpack can be looked at as an investment. The North Face Borealis costs $79, whereas the Longchamp Le Pliage costs a minimum of $145. A simple colored backpack will go with any outfit on campus. It will match with sweats from the UMass Recreation Center, a sundress in the spring or even a formal suit. A backpack is not meant for fashion, but for comfort and convenience.

If an outfit is stylish, then wearing a backpack for the right reasons can never steer you wrong. The handbag may be more fashionable and could match with the outfit for that day quite perfectly, but is it worth the uncomfortable walk throughout the day, and perhaps not matching tomorrow’s clothes?

A handbag is most likely the better choice when it comes to the weekend, a day without classes, or to run a few errands. There are so many different types of bags – one for each occasion – that saving them for the weekend will make an outfit more of a hit than during the school week. A smaller bag with just enough room for the essentials and decorated by a contrasting color to add some brightness to an outfit is more efficient. An even lighter option for the weekends is a clutch or wristlet. All that needs to go in it is a cell phone, UCard and a little extra cash to be ready to go out.

To endure style for the price of back pain, opt for a purse. But to feel comfortable on campus, buy the backpack.

Sapna Contractor can be reached at [email protected].