Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

UMass among top 50 public universities in country

The University of Massachusetts has been ranked among the top 50 public universities in the nation, according to the 2012 list of the best colleges in the country in a report released by U.S. News and World Report.

Marielle Fibish/Collegian

Marielle Fibish/Collegian

UMass came in at No. 42 among all public universities, an improvement of three spots from last year and the school’s highest ranking since 2004.

Additionally, the state’s flagship university was ranked No. 94 among all national universities – public or private – on the annual list, a boost of five positions from last year. And among all public universities in Massachusetts, UMass was the only public school in the state to receive top 50 honors, according to a UMass press release.
“We are a university on the rise, and the U.S. News ranking is yet another indicator that our campus delivers excellence,” said UMass Chancellor Robert Holub in the press release. “Outstanding students from across the state and nation are increasingly choosing UMass Amherst and for good reason.”

Improved retention and graduation rates, graduation rate performance and the percentage of classes with less than 20 students were noted to be factors in the school’s ranking.

The ranking comes to UMass as it welcomed the largest and most academically decorated first-year class in its history and received a record amount of applications – more than 32,500 – for admission.

-Collegian News Staff

You must be logged in to post a comment.