UMass among top 50 public universities in country

The University of Massachusetts has been ranked among the top 50 public universities in the nation, according to the 2012 list of the best colleges in the country in a report released by U.S. News and World Report.

Marielle Fibish/Collegian

Marielle Fibish/Collegian

UMass came in at No. 42 among all public universities, an improvement of three spots from last year and the school’s highest ranking since 2004.

Additionally, the state’s flagship university was ranked No. 94 among all national universities – public or private – on the annual list, a boost of five positions from last year. And among all public universities in Massachusetts, UMass was the only public school in the state to receive top 50 honors, according to a UMass press release.
“We are a university on the rise, and the U.S. News ranking is yet another indicator that our campus delivers excellence,” said UMass Chancellor Robert Holub in the press release. “Outstanding students from across the state and nation are increasingly choosing UMass Amherst and for good reason.”

Improved retention and graduation rates, graduation rate performance and the percentage of classes with less than 20 students were noted to be factors in the school’s ranking.

The ranking comes to UMass as it welcomed the largest and most academically decorated first-year class in its history and received a record amount of applications – more than 32,500 – for admission.

-Collegian News Staff