Amherst PD to encourage registering off-campus parties with implementation of Party Smart Registration program -

UMass Board of Trustees votes 11-2 to raise tuition and fees an average of 5.8 percent -

Mike Stone announces retirement following 2017 season -

‘Warcraft’ delivers a likeable mess -

Former UMass field hockey coach Carla Tagliente accepts job at Princeton -

50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

UMass among top 50 public universities in country

The University of Massachusetts has been ranked among the top 50 public universities in the nation, according to the 2012 list of the best colleges in the country in a report released by U.S. News and World Report.

Marielle Fibish/Collegian

Marielle Fibish/Collegian

UMass came in at No. 42 among all public universities, an improvement of three spots from last year and the school’s highest ranking since 2004.

Additionally, the state’s flagship university was ranked No. 94 among all national universities – public or private – on the annual list, a boost of five positions from last year. And among all public universities in Massachusetts, UMass was the only public school in the state to receive top 50 honors, according to a UMass press release.
“We are a university on the rise, and the U.S. News ranking is yet another indicator that our campus delivers excellence,” said UMass Chancellor Robert Holub in the press release. “Outstanding students from across the state and nation are increasingly choosing UMass Amherst and for good reason.”

Improved retention and graduation rates, graduation rate performance and the percentage of classes with less than 20 students were noted to be factors in the school’s ranking.

The ranking comes to UMass as it welcomed the largest and most academically decorated first-year class in its history and received a record amount of applications – more than 32,500 – for admission.

-Collegian News Staff