UMass professor wins big on ‘Jeopardy!’ -

SGA president selects new vice president -

UMass women’s basketball blows 15 point fourth quarter lead, loses in double overtime to George Washington -

UMass club hockey falls to NYU 3-2 in first game back from vacation -

Cyr: Expectations for UMass men’s basketball remain consistent throughout 2016-17 season -

The death penalty is not the answer -

Donald Trump is gutting journalism with his Twitter -

Winter break’s most overlooked releases -

Hardly anything in ‘Rogue One’ scores a direct hit -

Nineteen turnovers sink UMass men’s basketball in loss to Fordham Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball falls to Fordham behind strong defensive effort by the Rams -

UMass hockey can’t take advantage of strong start in 6-1 loss to Boston College -

High-powered Eagles soar past UMass -

UMass women’s basketball suffers disappointing loss to St. Bonaventure at Mullins Center Thursday -

REPORT: Tom Masella out as defensive coordinator for UMass football -

Zach Lewis, bench carry UMass men’s basketball in win over St. Joe’s -

UMass among top 50 public universities in country

The University of Massachusetts has been ranked among the top 50 public universities in the nation, according to the 2012 list of the best colleges in the country in a report released by U.S. News and World Report.

Marielle Fibish/Collegian

Marielle Fibish/Collegian

UMass came in at No. 42 among all public universities, an improvement of three spots from last year and the school’s highest ranking since 2004.

Additionally, the state’s flagship university was ranked No. 94 among all national universities – public or private – on the annual list, a boost of five positions from last year. And among all public universities in Massachusetts, UMass was the only public school in the state to receive top 50 honors, according to a UMass press release.
“We are a university on the rise, and the U.S. News ranking is yet another indicator that our campus delivers excellence,” said UMass Chancellor Robert Holub in the press release. “Outstanding students from across the state and nation are increasingly choosing UMass Amherst and for good reason.”

Improved retention and graduation rates, graduation rate performance and the percentage of classes with less than 20 students were noted to be factors in the school’s ranking.

The ranking comes to UMass as it welcomed the largest and most academically decorated first-year class in its history and received a record amount of applications – more than 32,500 – for admission.

-Collegian News Staff